It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
(female)

sick82 HB User
Question sore throat, dry hacking cough for 2 weeks

I have had a sore throat & dry hacking cough 2 weeks & counting. My cough is a lot more aggrivated at night when I lye down. I sleep very poorly at night because of my coughing but then I seem to sleep better during the day but I get all out of wack. The cough is like a constant tickle in my throat, I cough so hard & have so many coughing spells that I gag. It is non productive & I cannot vomit anything up. I have tried buckley's cough syrup and tylenol#1's and advil. I was tested for whooping cough with that gross swab thing that they stick way up your nose & I haven't heard of a result yet.
My throat is very (constantly) sore, the doc says my tonsils look norma (although they look enlarged to me), no puss, he took a swab anyway. I have a very long history of tonsillitis. My lungs are clear. I am afebrile.
My nose starting running about 2 days into my illness and stopped about 6 days later, since then I am a bit stuffed up but it is fairly mild.

I have no allergies & highly doubt it has anything with asthma. I am curious if it is whooping cough because how can a viral infection go on and on with no sign of improvement? I have never had post nasal drip & if this was the case why can I sleep ok during the day when I am still lying down? I am really miserable & starting to think that this will never go away. Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited by sick82; 06-30-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
(female)

minxbk HB User
Re: sore throat, dry hacking cough for 2 weeks

I am as frustrated as you sound. I have had a cough for almost 2 months now and it mostly happens when I try to go to sleep. I will wake up every hour or so and have a coughing fit and then try to sleep again and it will start again in an hour or less. I do have coughing fits during the day but peppermint gum seems to help. Nothing I have tried will suppress it at night though and I am tired of not getting any real sleep. I sleep better from 5 am to 8 am and sometimes can catch an hour or so nap in the day but sleeping at night is impossible. Antibiotics seemed to help slightly but only for a couple of days and now I'm right back where I started. I think my doctor said that she was going to check me for whooping cough next. I don't really care what I have I just want someone to figure it out soon before I go crazy from lack of sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: sore throat, dry hacking cough over a week

Hi everyone. I hope you are all feeling better. I too have the dry hacking cough in the night. There is a mucus ball in the back of my throat constantly. It feels like a tickle as stuff runs down my throat at night. Last night I didn't getmuch sleep early this morning I had a coughing spell that made me gag. My eyes water and I feel like I can't get control of the cough. I don't know why its worse in the night and early morning. Do you ever notice a coughing spell right after taking a shower too? Let me know any remedies you may have. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:41 AM   #4
(male)

letterman HB User
Re: sore throat, dry hacking cough over a week

I have had the cough and sore throat for several weeks now. Still haven't sought medical advice as I tell myself it will pass. However, as with other posters, it is worse at night and is so violent it makes me gag. A sip of water gives respite for a short while. I had pondered on why it would be worse at night and then noted TEdds83 comment about "worse after a shower". There may be a connection there: at night, as the atmospheric temperature drops, the humidity rises significantly. Could it be that dry air is needed to alleviate symptoms? (I don't know how I would arrange for dry air short of having an air conditioner next to the bed connected to some sort of mask).

letterman

Closed Thread