It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
(male)

yalie22 HB User
Aggressive Regimen for Battling the Cold

Hi everyone,

So all my life I have had an uphill battle with colds. When I think of my childhood, I think I pretty much always had a cold. Anyway, my youth was much better - for the last 3-4 years I'm only on 2-3 colds a year. But looks like the bad days are here again. I've been running a cold for a MONTH, it just does not go. I have two questions:

1] What can I do on a daily basis to up my immune system?
2] What measures should I take once I catch a cold to make it as short n sweet as possible?

For the last 2 years, I have had a very aggressive approach to better my health:
Running - 3 times a week for half an hour on treadmill
Sleep - avg 8 hrs / night
Food - very healthy, freshly cooked food with veggies every meal
Supplements: Life Extension Mix, Omega 3, Vit C

When I caught the cold, I was on around 6g / day of Vitamin C and taking all the other supplements extensively. Life extension mix is the most comprehensive supplement on the planet, and I take the 9 tablets a day very religiously. What more could I have done? And a one month cold after all these efforts is just depressing. It has ruined my wonderful vacation to Hawaii

So please, if you could answer both the questions 1 & 2.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Aggressive Regimen for Battling the Cold

Is it a cold or an allergy oe sinusitis, a month seems a long time to have a viral cold for.

I'd head to your doctor for a checkup.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Hi Yalie! I am so sorry you have been battling your cold a long time. I have too! I think it is a virus that is going on right now. I have had a cold for over 30 days now! I have 2 colds back to back and a cough that had been going on just as long. I have been to the doctor 3 times now. They say its not in my chest and just a cold that lingers. I do have allergies. But this is ridiculous!! I have been worried but my boyfriend who lives long distance from me has the same month long cold and other people I know do too. It just won't leave completely. So dont worry. As long as you have been seen. I take Vitamin C, Vitamin D tea, Theraflu, sudefed, zyrtec, cough drops. I just have to believe that the healing is coming. Let me know how you are please.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
(male)

yalie22 HB User

You won't believe it. My one week in Hawaii was pretty much completely ruined, but somehow in the next week of traveling it seemed like I kicked the cold! I just flew back to India last night, and I woke up to a fever (100) and throat infection. I think thats probably just because I was drinking, not sleeping well for the last 4-5 days. This is really depressing. Just want to beat this and get back to my daily routine.

I'm probably gna see a doctor. I try to stay away from pharmaceuticals. I do have allergies but they are well in control. Guys, I couldn't get much of an answer to my questions.. So pls try and help.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:28 AM   #5
(male)

yalie22 HB User

Doctor prescribed me some antibiotics. The first google search on antibiotics made it clear that they are not effective and may cause more harm than good. Now I hate doctors.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

They are not effective against viral colds, but after all this time, its atleast possible that you have a bacterial infection.

Take the course of antibiotics and see what happens.

An OTC cold remedy like Advil Cold and Sinus can help you feel better in the mean time.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Closed Thread