It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
(male)

ohnoanother404 HB User
10 Month Sore Throat

Hello all,

I'm turning to this health board as I don't know where else to go. I've searched endlessly before trying to find an answer for what I experiance but can't seem to find any!

I have a sore throat that has now lasted for around 10 months. The doctors do not know what is causing it, and I am being sent to see a consultant within the next two weeks. I can however document nearly the entire course of my illness, and will so do below.

It started with a standard flu, it lasted roughly a week and I had a temperature for two days. This left but my cough and sore throat persisted, made worse by the fact that my house was heavily infected with mould. Laying down on my bed would cause me to weeze, cough and have a very tight chest. This was in Feburary.
I went to doctors in early March, one month after it started whom sent me for a throat swab, which came back negative on bacterial infection. I didn't know what to do, and was very stressed due to exams, so focused on them till May. At this point I went back to my parents house.
At this point my hay fever kicked in, which I suffer from very badly and it was a very heavy year, this made my throat much worse, constant sneezing (I sneeze on average around 9 times a day when I wake up and fall asleep, no joke!!) felt like it was ripping my throat apart. The pain at this point was constant all day, and did not lighten during the day.
I went back to the doctors a number of times that told me to stop smoking, so I did. I was prescribed all manners of hay-fever tablets and Difflam spray, which helped my other symptoms but over-all did not cure the throat beyond making it numb for half an hour after spraying.
In October I went back to uni and lived with my partner away from the mould. My sore throat was persisting despite not smoking and the hay fever season being over. I have since been to the doctors a number of times, they simply check my throat, and then prescribe me what they think it may be, which includes:
* Penicilin -two 250g tables 4 times a day (I cannot tell you how messed up I felt, I couldnt even have a conversation after taking this.)
* They thought it might be a post-natal drip, and I was prescribed hay fever tables again
* They thought it might be acid reflux, and I was prescribed what I was told was stomache ulser treatment tables (gf's a pharmicist ^^ )
* To use Listerine bi-daily

So none of the treatments worked, and I was sent for blood tests, these tested for lipids, thyroid, glucose levels and something else but I cant remember what, sorry! All was negative, they did another throat swab which came back negative too. I am now being sent to see a consultant who will perform an endoscopy.

However, my condition has changed slightly. I wake up and have a terribly sore throat, I cannot speak, it feels dry, painful constantly and all over the back on middle of my throat. If I get up, within around 15 minutes the soreness is gone; however I know it remains as my throat feels what I can only describe as a sort of numbness. If I talk alot in the day it slowly creeps back. If not, it will remain 'numb' until I wake up the next day. I am now taking pictures of my throat in the morning and evening. It looks quite red all over, but I have no visible lumps or dots on my tonsils, uvula or throat. I dont know if its related, but I feel like my immune system is down. I keep getting colds, and I mean once a month or so; I feel extremely tired some of the time (beyond what I used to feel prior to this illness) and I am experiancing character changes beyond my normal scope of personailty.

I don't know what to do, I'd just like to set my mind at ease with this. I'm going to counciling for some things that have happened to me and have a couple of other health issues, this really gets me down and makes me worry a lot.

Anyway, sorry for the essay, and thank you for your help,

James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2010, 02:54 AM   #2
(male)

shane1987 HB User
Re: 10 Month Sore Throat

I've had a sore throat for 8 months now and pretty much the exact treatment as you because at first they thought it was a virus, then post nasal drip and now acid reflux. I had an endoscopy done and it showed some inflammation of my esophagus so I was tol to take ppi's twice a day for the acid. That was 6 months ago and there's been no improvement! But there is a condition calle LPR which is very similar to acid reflux exept the stomach juices rise all the way up to the throat without any heartburn or feeling. So I think it maybe possible that we both have this, look up LPR or silent reflux, sore throats are very common with this. Also you should mention it to your dr. The treatment for LPR is the same for acid reflux but the ppi should be taken twice a day and shouldn't be taken long term. I have been taking two ppi's a day for 5 months and seen no change so I am going to stop taking them after 1 more month. I think I haven't got better because ppi's reduce the amount of acid the stomach makes but they don't stop the stomach contents from refluxing into your throat and stomach juices such as bile and enzymes can also be very irritating to the throat. I think LPR is a problem with reflux not the amount of acid we make. There is another option for LPR and that's surgery to tighten the esophagus sphincter to prevent reflux, this is what I'm considering and I'm only 23. Hope this info helps you

Old 11-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
(male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User

exactly my story. no reflux in my life, got a bad cold/flu, and suddenly apparently I had bad reflux. I'm supposed to think that makes sense.

This disease is just like ulcers. One day they are going to realize that the cause is a parasite/virus/bile in the instestine/or nerve damage related.

How many of us are just getting a virus, and then it starts? It's ridiculous how many, and the doctors haven't apparently even looked into that, like it's not suspicious or something.

Sadly, I guess there are no "Dr. House" types in laryngology...

Old 11-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
(male)

shane1987 HB User

I agree completely! One thing I think can set LPR/GERD off is stress and anxiety because most of the people I have spoke to whith GERD seem to be stressed or anxious which is understandable if your going through the many symptoms of the illness but what I think is maybe the anxiety/stress was there before any symptoms of reflux appeared. With me I thought not but when I think back to when this started I had just moved out from living with my parents and I was a little anxious about it. My theory is that I was worrying about moving out for a couple of weeks before hand and that caused an increase of acid production, then whenever I got reflux it would be very acidic thus causing inflammation (which was seen on the endoscopy) and the exposure to the acid it caused my esophagus sphincter to weaken so I would have reflux far more often although it isn't acidic due to the ppi's. So my sore throat would still be ongoing because not only have I damaged my sphincter but because I still have a sore throat I'm still anxious but about my throat and not moving!! Now it could also just be a coincidence that my sore throat began when I was anxious but it's food for thought. So try to remember how yours started and what was happening in your life at the time. If my theory is anywhere near the truth then wouldn't anti anxiety/antidepressants help?? What do you think?

Old 11-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
(male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User

Personally, mine began in early October during a really bad cold, that was pretty mucht the worst I ever had. I was stressed and anxious, too, because I'd just come to Germany.

But what bugs me about these boards is that ANYONE whose symptoms suddenly began with cold/flu should be taking the new idea of Post viral vagal neuropathy more seriously.

On heart-burn help, I just read from a guy who got the Hill procedure after years of LPR out of the blue after a cold. He has NO gerd stomach, esophagus issues at all, but ALL the LPR symptoms continue.
He just said on the board that a neurologist noted that he post viral neuropathy. He is seeing Dr. Jamie Koufman, and she just put him on more PPIs which never worked for him. I think she might be some kind of fraud. She never thought of irritable larynx syndrome, but if it is a real thing, it would make her whole hypothesis that every single patient with these symptoms is just having reflux.

It could be irritable larynx syndrome, so you want to try lyrica and elavil (both are pain relief/anti-depressants that have an effect on the vagal nerve).

In the end, we all want symptom relief. If you have GERD that progressed to LPR, then perhaps the PPIs are the way to go, and I'm not saying the whole idea of LPR is bogus. I'm just saying, it should have been more important to the doctors in how you got it, in determining what route to go.

I think LPR is overdiagnosed and badly treated for a lot of people with these symptoms. We need to try the idea that it is neuropathy, just like bell's palsey or herpes neuropathy. Why else would the guy's hill procedure not work on his larynx issues that only appeared after a virus??? I think more of us need to talk to our doctors about treating this as neuropathy, especially when we ONLY have throat symptoms that don't respond to ppis!!!!

Old 11-23-2010, 05:15 AM   #6
(female)

dee46 HB User

It sounds like my reflux problems. Try sleeping with head elevated and do not eat before bed. I use Aloe vera juice everyday when I have it.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:16 AM   #7
(female)

dee46 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoanother404 View Post
Hello all,

I'm turning to this health board as I don't know where else to go. I've searched endlessly before trying to find an answer for what I experiance but can't seem to find any!

I have a sore throat that has now lasted for around 10 months. The doctors do not know what is causing it, and I am being sent to see a consultant within the next two weeks. I can however document nearly the entire course of my illness, and will so do below.

James

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It sounds like my reflux problems. Try sleeping with head elevated and do not eat before bed. I use Aloe vera juice everyday when I have it.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
(male)

ohnoanother404 HB User

To say it is stress related does make sense, I am going through a bad patch at the moment, and the last time I suffered badly with refulx was when I was a child.
From everyones comments above, is this not something that can be resolved?
I've already been prescribed PPI's, and will make sure to tell the consultant that when I visit the hospital.
I have however another problem which may or may not be related. I caught a common cold last week, and have been unable to shake off the head-aches, flu and heady feeling since. I honestly feel like my immune system is shot, compared to how it used to be prior to this illness.

Is this curable, and are the recent developments with my illness related, possibly pointing towards a different illness that silent reflux?

Thanks for your help everyone,

James

Old 11-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
(male)

Hi James,

I'm telling you, in the last 10 years, starting with Dr. Murray Morrison's paper on irritable larynx syndrome (1999), they've started to recognize that a virus can cause changes to the vagus nerve.

The result is that your larynx becomes over-sensitized.

Google the following terms if you want:

Post viral vagal neuropathy
Irritable Larynx syndrome
Laryngeal sensory neuropathy.

They are all describing something like herpes neuropathy. A virus damages nerves and causes them to misfire. The answer is drugs that interfere with the vagus nerve sending its screwed up signals to the brain, called gaba-a agonists. Worth a shot IF, AND I MUST STRESS IF, your so called LPR began with a virus. And I'm not saying ppis haven't helped some people since about 14 percent or so of the posters on the LPR related healthboards seem to mention ppis helping them randomly, 2 to 12 months after they started burning through them, for which the drug makers thank you heartily.

In fairness, the gaba-a agonist, Lyrica, is not cheap either. But worth a shot. A better shot than ppis....

Old 11-24-2010, 04:15 AM   #10
(male)

shane1987 HB User

Very good point. Thinking back i also had a bad cold just before the throat problems started, but the only reason im leaning towards it being my stomach is because after i eat i get a foul odour that seems to be coming from my stomach although im not 100%. It could be coming from my sinuses due to a lingering infection. Ive heard odours are common with a chronic sinus infection. I don't think nerve problems can cause odours or can they?? Stress and infections seem to be the main culprit of chronic sore throats. Has anyone tried antidepressants for stomach problems as i've heard they can help and if you have how were they? Thanks Shane

Old 11-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
(male)

The odour can be a number of things. Dry mouth can cause that. If you are worried, your mouth dries out, or if you aren't drinking water (to avoid non-existent reflux of course)......

Also, when I squeeze my nostrils together, I think I smell weird things. But that was happening before all of this. I'm not an expert, and don't want to dismiss that one like doctors try to dismiss people like us........ but, it could be unrelated to your more serious and annoying problem in any direct ways. It's a bit like saying, is my athlete's foot caused by this, unless you seriously believe that your symptoms, which began with viral damage to the throat, and continue in the throat, are caused by something other than your throat. It could be hightened sensitivity to sensations in your nose/throat, including smell. Ask other people to test it, or has anyone ever noticed it?

Old 11-25-2010, 02:47 AM   #12
(male)

shane1987 HB User

I understand what your saying completely because just because I can smell something why does that have anything to do with my throat. But this smell comes straight after I eat and it isn't bad breath. Also 90% of the time I'm the only one that can detect it but sometimes my gf has said she can smell it. I can also only smell it when I breath through my nose.... It's like fumes from my throat. I think I have damaged my throat from a virus or reflux that bad and it is sensitive to any form of reflux or allegy etc. But the smell I have no idea, the only possibilities are sinus infection which I have no symptoms for apart from very thick glue like pnd. And another possibility is reflux of stomach contents acidic or non acidic. Reflux seems more likely as it happens after I ect. Also my throat only hurts in on area and that's a little on my soft palate but mostly behind my uvula up into my nasal passage area, think it's called the nasopharynx, would that suggest post nasal drip Is the cause as I only get pain lower down my throat ocaissionally. Or do you think it could just be a damaged throat? Also the soreness isn't there constant but it comes and goes all day and it seems to go very dry when it's sore. Thanks for your reply you've helped me look at it in a different way!

Old 03-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
(female)

bimik HB User

Hi guys ! Did you figure out naything for your soar throat problem?I have been having this for a few years, but it's been bad for the last 6 months I don't know already whatthe hell it is. Would be happy to hear any recommendations from you !

Old 03-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #14
(male)

I recommend trying nerve drugs. They especially work for sore throats.

Closed Thread