It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Black Kat HB User
Prednisone for sore throat

I woke up Wednesday morning with a fever and severe throat pain when I swallowed. I went to the dr., but came home with nothing. I went again Thursday when I felt worse, but again came home with nothing. My throat hurt so badly that I was having trouble swallowing. I finally made it in to see my regular dr on Friday, who prescribed 40 mg Prednisone daily for up to 5 days and Lidocaine. The Prednisone got rid of my fever & made my throat feel a lot better after 5 hours, but the Lidocaine didn't phase it. By yesterday my voice was almost gone. Rapid strep test came back negative & I haven't got the results from the culture they sent off.

So I guess my question is should my symptoms be gone by the time I'm off the Prednisone or will they most likely be back?

Also, since the Prednisone started working my mouth has been dry & nose has been running. Is this typical?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Prednisone for sore throat

Hi Predisone can lower the immune system. I would use only silent means of communication for now. In my opinion an irrigation described previously may help. Is there any interest in a neck treatment for sore throats in addition?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread