It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
(female)

karenr99 HB User
Cold? Flu? Sick as a dog for a week!

Hi,

I've been sick (to the point of being barely functional on the worst days) for a week. I've had a terrible cough, congestion, sore throat, swollen glands, headaches, nausea, some dizziness. NO FEVER.

I'm at a point where my congestion is much better, and I don't cough so much, but my head still hurts, and I'm tired despite 10 hours of sleep. I don't have insurance (or a job), and I never go to the doctor for colds anyway, but is it normal to be this sick for a week?

I've read that swine flu can happen without a fever (my temp is 96.8), but I don't have body aches either (just fatigue).

Oh, I'm also experiencing a lot of nausea and acid reflux (which tends to get worse when I'm stressed).

What do you think? Should I get help? I'm capable of walking about, I'm not vomiting. I'm just worried because of the length and the fact that my head hurts and makes it hard to focus.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Cold? Flu? Sick as a dog for a week!

Hi being sick for a week can happen, a person could see the professionals if they want to. Some people enjoy the benefits of hydrotherapy and garlic. Dizziness is sometimes a serious symptom and sometimes not. It can be brought on by infection going up eustachian tubes. Have a nice day

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
(female)

karenr99 HB User

HI SJB,

Thanks for the reply. Can you explain the garlic comment?

Old 12-31-2010, 05:02 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi yes a friend of mine had 4 weeks of a sore throat and her ear bothered her to the point that she lost hearing in it. A relative of hers through marriage ( I think) told her to chew on garlic cloves and the sore throat healed up the ear didn't hurt anymore and as far as I know she has all her hearing and no complaints. If a person has infection in the ear sometimes dizziness occurs. If the infection goes away I suspect that perhaps the dizziness may leave also. :smile:

Old 12-31-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
(female)

louisamae HB User

If you had head congestion and it's dripping down your throat into your stomach, that can cause nausea and perhaps the reflux. Are you drinking a lot of juice (juice is quite acidic and can aggravate reflux)?

A headache can be caused by packed sinuses. Are you expectorating stuff yet? You should be by this point. If you're not, you should probably see someone, especially if your glands are still swollen.

Hope you feel better soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to louisamae For This Useful Post:
sjb (01-03-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
(female)

karenr99 HB User

Thanks for the nausea/reflux lesson louisamae. I'm better now,thanks. I was sick a couple more days, then by New Years Eve all that was left was a cough and general fatigue, and now just a bit less pep. That's for the advice and info folks!

The Following User Says Thank You to karenr99 For This Useful Post:
sjb (01-03-2011)
Closed Thread