It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
(male)

rajtp HB User
Increased phlegm

Guys

I just returned from a warm place into cold weather and have increased phlegm combined with slight lower back pain. Much of my mucus only comes out when I cough and after a while, it affects the throat which hurts and my voice turns sore. I am taking steam to clear up the lungs

My question is - is there a way to get more phlegm out of the nose rather than by coughing out? When it comes out of the nose, it's more productive and for a few minutes my lungs feel clearer - this also doesn't hurt my throat. Do most people have phlegm coming out of the throat rather than the nose?

Thanks!

Old 02-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Increased phlegm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtp View Post
GuysI just returned from a warm place into cold weather and have increased phlegm combined with slight lower back pain.
You might be different but in my experience, I get lower back pain when I haven't been drinking enough water. For some reason, I start feeling lower back pain when I get dehydrated. Of course the most obvious thing is that you might just need to give your back muscles some rest. So I recommend rest and drink plenty of water.

Quote:
My question is - is there a way to get more phlegm out of the nose rather than by coughing out?
I don't think there's a whole lot of choice. By all means you should get everything out your nose that you possibly can. But whatever comes up by coughing, is not likely to come out any other way.

[QUOTE Do most people have phlegm coming out of the throat rather than the nose?[/QUOTE]

I don't get colds or flu very often. But I seem to remember that a cold usually affects the nose. Is there such a thing as a chest cold? Maybe so.

When I had the flu it changed around. It started with coughing and a sore throat. Then it turned to coughing and a stuffy nose. The last thing that happened was that I was coughing up phlegm.

It's important that you make every effort to cough everything up. Otherwise it could turn into something worse. It could become bronchitis and then from there it could become pneumonia.

They say that people who are bed ridden will usually die from the flu because they are on their backs and too weak to caugh up phlegm.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread