HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Colds & Flu (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/colds-flu/)
-   -   Cold symptoms for 4 weeks (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/colds-flu/832267-cold-symptoms-4-weeks.html)

Hollytreebird 01-21-2011 11:32 AM

Cold symptoms for 4 weeks

I've been sick on and off for the last month. First I had a bad cold (symptoms: achy, tired, runny nose, headache, sinus pain). This went away and then 1.5 weeks later I had a sore throat, sinus pain, and more congestion. This went away too and now I have tighness in my chest, a dry cough, pressure in my head, wheezing and a low-grade fever. Are all of these from the same illness or have I just been getting something new every week? At what point should I go to the doctor for my chest cold and cough? I'm 28 and usually very healthy.

JohnR41 01-27-2011 04:58 PM

Re: Cold symptoms for 4 weeks

Do you have obligations that keep you from staying home to get adequate rest? You really need to get complete rest. If you haven't done that, it may be what you need, especially now that you have a low grade fever. In the worst case, it could turn to pneumonia if not cared for.

gigi11 02-06-2011 03:16 AM

Everyone I know is going through the same symptoms including myself. I have been fighting this cold for two weeks now. It is not real bad but enough to become annoying. My daughter keeps getting a burning sensation in her nose and headaches. Her sinuses are so dry. My son keeps getting a bloody nose from the dryness. We nettie pot and use saline solution. It is just a battle with this dry air. I bought a humidifier but we still battle these colds. I feel like we keep passing back and fourth. I have had a dry cough and runny nose. I feel like crap. I don't have a fever but I feel tired. I could go to the doctor but they will give me a antibiotic that won't work - I have been through this before.

TEdds83 02-24-2011 10:43 PM

I have it now too. I had a z pack a week or so ago because I though thats what I had with MAJOR congestion and gunk. But now in the second antibiotic, Bactrim. Not feeling relieved yet eithor. I am beginning to think this is a nasal virus thing. I keep hearing people say it is going around and lasts for 2 to 3 weeks. Anyone else heard of it?

Norcallady 02-25-2011 02:43 AM

[QUOTE=JohnR41;4671140]Do you have obligations that keep you from staying home to get adequate rest? You really need to get complete rest. If you haven't done that, it may be what you need, especially now that you have a low grade fever. In the worst case, it could turn to pneumonia if not cared for.[/QUOTE]
I have a cold that is just plain nasty--congestion galore and sinus pressure stuffiness and a deep bronchial cough, sore throat and ears popping and stuffed-- I am using severe congestion cold tablets and sinus buster nasal spray. I am drinking lots of fluids and all but it is a slow moving cold--everyone up here is sick and the cough is awful-- I have not had a cold like this in 20 plus years Is anyone else battling this and what has been working to ease the symptoms?? Thanks

JJ 02-25-2011 07:49 AM

Whatever it is there are many...many folks complaining of it. I've had it on and off for over a month. I know it is sinus related as I wake up many mornings all stuffed and plugged up, other mornings fine. Sometimes a nasty cough.

I too have been doing the sinus rinse and it helps but due to a very nasty snowy and cold winter with the heat on 90% of the time, I chalk it up to that. Don't feel bad enough to be in bed just annoyed to death with it. I have no fever or bad signs of a sinus infection so just trying to deal with it and hope it goes on it's own.

Good luck to all fighting this fool virus....JJ.....:wave:

gigi11 02-28-2011 04:19 AM

[QUOTE=JJ;4693118]Whatever it is there are many...many folks complaining of it. I've had it on and off for over a month. I know it is sinus related as I wake up many mornings all stuffed and plugged up, other mornings fine. Sometimes a nasty cough.

I too have been doing the sinus rinse and it helps but due to a very nasty snowy and cold winter with the heat on 90% of the time, I chalk it up to that. Don't feel bad enough to be in bed just annoyed to death with it. I have no fever or bad signs of a sinus infection so just trying to deal with it and hope it goes on it's own.

Good luck to all fighting this fool virus....JJ.....:wave:[/QUOTE]

My son has it now and taking him in the doctor - cough sounds horrible but no fever, or any other signs - this is the weirdest cold cough i have ever seen! I had it for a month and my neighbor still has it.

JJ 02-28-2011 08:51 AM

I hope your son is ok and like you said, whatever it is just doesn't seem to want to leave. I was fine all last week then woke up this morning again all plugged up and hubby said I was coughing in my sleep.

I'm still convinced it is from getting the flu shot with the H1N1 in it. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems weird this is the first time I had anything mixed with the regular flu shot and this thing just won't leave. Last year when the H1N1 was seperate I refused it. Oh well, hopefully it goes soon...I'm drained!

Take good care, and let us know how your son makes out....JJ....:wave:

gigi11 02-28-2011 09:46 AM

[QUOTE=JJ;4695337]I hope your son is ok and like you said, whatever it is just doesn't seem to want to leave. I was fine all last week then woke up this morning again all plugged up and hubby said I was coughing in my sleep.

I'm still convinced it is from getting the flu shot with the H1N1 in it. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems weird this is the first time I had anything mixed with the regular flu shot and this thing just won't leave. Last year when the H1N1 was seperate I refused it. Oh well, hopefully it goes soon...I'm drained!

Take good care, and let us know how your son makes out....JJ....:wave:[/QUOTE]

My neighbor had to have respirtory therapy because it brought on asthma. Mine felt like someone was squeezing my chest everyday and couldn't sleep because I coughed during the night. I used alot of Tiger Balm on my chest. All my kids got the H1N1 vaccine and were fine. My theory is either the weather is just so wacky and dry that it messed with our sinuses or everyone got vaccinated and we are just getting a mild version of the flu. Hot and then cold and no rain. I hung in there and finally after one month it left me but my neighbor couldn't take it and went to the doctors. My son I am kinda worried because last time he got broncitis. I am going to ask the doctor what this is because clariton didn't knock it out and it seemed to be allergy related because of the draining into the throat. I know when i have a cold and that didn't seem like that. The coughing can cause your rib cage to get sore.

JJ 02-28-2011 10:24 AM

Whatever it is it does seem to drain you and that is maybe why many folks are having a hard time ditching it. It seems to be running our immune systems down.

I have seen so many folks posting about it and all have about the same symptoms. Like your son, I have to be careful of Bronchitis as well. I'm trying VERY hard not to get too run down by resting when I can as I hate taking antibiotics but also getting bored of having NO energy. I look around and see so much I want to do but unless it is absolutely necessary I put it off..:mad:

Around here it has been one snow storm after another and now days of pouring rain, with temps. up and down. Maybe if we could get a few nice days everyone would feel better. Hope your son makes out ok, keep us posted.

Enjoy your day....JJ.....:wave:

TEdds83 02-28-2011 10:36 AM

I'm right there with ya. I'm on my second round on antibiotics. This thingsis weird. Its like a cold sinus infection. Lots of mucus. My lungs feel irritated. I feel like I can't breath easy. it doesn't hurt to breath I just have to take a full breath. I need to be taking my acid reflux med but I have heard not to take them while on an antibiotic. Does anyone know the truth about that? Thanks ahead for a reply.

JJ 02-28-2011 11:12 AM

From what I have read, you can take an acid reflux med with antibiotics except...Cipro and tetracyclines. Call your pharmacist and ask if your meds. can be taken together. My husband takes acid reflux meds. while on an antibiotic, so maybe it is just certain ones that don't mix well.

Don't second guess...definately ask either your Dr. or pharmacist. Hope your feeling better soon. We all need a break from whatever this virus, cold is.

Let us know what you find out...JJ...:wave:

gigi11 03-01-2011 02:54 AM

Found out he just has a cold and the mucus just drains into his throat - lungs are clear. So they ask me to put him on Mucinex for colds. His nose gets so dry though and it will bleed. He uses saline spray. It just seems that all the over the counter relief is just immune to this cold and doesn't work. I am telling you this cold is weird!

I guess we should be blessed that it was just colds that we got and not like last year with the swine flu (which my whole family had and it was horrible).

JJ 03-01-2011 05:22 AM

I'm glad to hear it is just a cold but like you said..WEIRD!!! Hubby and I went out for a small bite to eat last night at our local diner and 2 of the waitresses told us both they and their kids are going through the same thing.

It just seems the post nasal drip won't end or the tiredness and cough. I guess all you can do is the same old thing, keep him warm and hydrated. I don't know if you use a humidifier or not, but those are suppose to help too. I had one for years but recently had to get rid of it..it was old and not working properly. I did notice there was a difference when I had it, so might get another.

Thanks for updating me and I sure hope he feels much better soon....JJ..:wave: