It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
(female)

Emykat HB User
Burning throat. Not acid reflux. Help?

It does NOT hurt to swallow or eat. I do not have heartburn or anything coming up in my throat. I have no soreness in my sinus areas. I have been suffering with a painful sandpaper burning feeling on the sides of my throat everytime I cough and I have a clear runny nose. My cough is dry and I'm nit experiencing phlegm or anything coming up when I cough. It is painful to breathe.. Very tight in my chest. Before Xmas I was told I had an upper respitorary infection and to rest. By New Years I had no voice, couldn't breathe..went back and was told I had sinusitis and was given 4,500 mg if amoxicillian a day for 14 days. Was okay for one week after finishing.. Now everything is back.. But this pain can not be explained. Has anyone been through this? Am so tired of the dr. telling me to rest when I call and tired of spending money on co-pays.. This isn't going away and it isn't acid reflux. I feel like my Dr. does not hear me.. And my insurance is Kaiser and it feels like an assembly line there. Any help out there?

The following user gives a hug of support to Emykat:
notbeingheard (03-24-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Emykat For This Useful Post:
notbeingheard (03-24-2011)
Old 01-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Burning throat. Not acid reflux. Help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emykat View Post
It is painful to breathe.. Very tight in my chest. Before Xmas I was told I had an upper respitorary infection and to rest.
How did they diagnose upper respiratory infection? Have you had a chest x-ray? Tell your doctor you want to be checked for lung cancer. If you are in an HMO you will have to tell them what you want. Otherwise they will stall as finding something bad like cancer will cost them money. And they don't want that.

Sincerely hope it isn't cancer. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
(female)

Emykat HB User

Thank you for your response. As I am around numerous smokers every day! I don't have an HMO, unfortunately. So I am going to keep on with this. They just listened to me breathe and looked into my mouth with the flash light as well as a strep test. Didn't seem like much and obviously hasn't made a difference. I called on Monday and they told me I just needed rest and that I probably just over did before my body was ready. So I guess I'm going to have to be more persistent as I get short of breathe everytime I walk up the stairs.. Thank you again for your help..

Old 02-06-2011, 03:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

I have been suffering a similiar problem as you - my chest gets tight and my throat gets very irritated when cough. If I cough alot, your chest will get sore and tight - that is what a doctor told me. I usually put a musle patch around my chest or icy hot. I am using a nettie pot and saline - it seems that I don't have a stuffy nose but I feel phelgm in the back of my throat. I have had walking pneumonia about 3 years ago but it feels real bad and I don't feel that bad. Everyone has this annoying cough or cold and they tell me all their bad feelings.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
(female)

notbeingheard HB User

I have been having a similar problem. I am so tired of Dr telling me it's acid reflux. I have GERD and know exactly what it feels like. This is totally different. It feels like there is fire running through the veins in my neck. It's all on the left and right side, not in the middle. It hurts in my chest too, hurts to breathe in. Sometimes I get shooting pains into my armpits. Sometimes I have a hard time feeling like I'm getting a good breath. No one listens and I don't know what tests to ask for.

Closed Thread