HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Colds & Flu (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/colds-flu/)
-   -   5 weeks of cold, now anti-biotics? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/colds-flu/834703-5-weeks-cold-now-anti-biotics.html)

yalie22 02-07-2011 01:24 PM

5 weeks of cold, now anti-biotics?

So its now been 5 weeks of being down with a cold and sinus headaches. I never went to the doctor hoping it would vanish the next weekend, and never had any fever or so. But its been consistent: mild headache, fatigue, nose blocked or leaking. I've been sleeping 11 hours, and I cannot live like this anymore.

I was consistently doing steam inhalation for a weak, and then jala neti for a week. And this week it got worse. I have a very healthy diet, take a lot of vitamin and protein supplements, and do regular exercise.

I'm from Mumbai, India and the [B]biggest problem I've had is the doctors here are just terrible[/B]. That is why I look to healthboards, its my only hope. I have met several doctors and not one person has been able to give me a proper diagnosis or even care to explain the drugs he's prescribed me, and believe me I have probed. Now tomorrow I'm going to one, and I know he's going to prescribe me some antibiotics. Should I take them? I really want to do something radical and get this over with. Please suggest.

Altari 02-10-2011 08:21 AM

Re: 5 weeks of cold, now anti-biotics?

[QUOTE=yalie22;4679016]So its now been 5 weeks of being down with a cold and sinus headaches. I never went to the doctor hoping it would vanish the next weekend, and never had any fever or so. But its been consistent: mild headache, fatigue, nose blocked or leaking. I've been sleeping 11 hours, and I cannot live like this anymore.[/quote]
In general, if the illness doesn't go away (or at least dramatically improve) in 10-14 days, it's bacterial. Viruses like the cold/flu will typically "play out" within 2 weeks with rest/fluids.

[quote]Now tomorrow I'm going to one, and I know he's going to prescribe me some antibiotics. Should I take them? I really want to do something radical and get this over with. Please suggest.[/QUOTE]
You should probably take it. During my last go-round with a sinus infection, I was given a z-pack. Cleared up a 6 week long illness in 4 days. :)

yalie22 02-11-2011 05:11 AM

Re: 5 weeks of cold, now anti-biotics?

Hi Altari! Thank you SOOOO much for that :) I've pressed the thank you n hug buttons like 10 times but it won't let me :(

I'd almost given up on healthboards most of the times I dnt get relevant reply or people do their own spin off on my post rather than attempting to give their opinion / experience on my specific question. You were bang on!! I'm so happy because I actually took the antibiotics just coz I was fed up, and it seems to have worked!! Day 4 n this is the best I've felt in 1.5 months :)

I guess I had a misconception that a cold always means virus.. Still a little confused but literally bursting with happiness now that I'm almost there! Thanks a billion again, and I hope every post on HB is as relevant as yours