It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
(male)

yalie22 HB User
5 weeks of cold, now anti-biotics?

So its now been 5 weeks of being down with a cold and sinus headaches. I never went to the doctor hoping it would vanish the next weekend, and never had any fever or so. But its been consistent: mild headache, fatigue, nose blocked or leaking. I've been sleeping 11 hours, and I cannot live like this anymore.

I was consistently doing steam inhalation for a weak, and then jala neti for a week. And this week it got worse. I have a very healthy diet, take a lot of vitamin and protein supplements, and do regular exercise.

I'm from Mumbai, India and the biggest problem I've had is the doctors here are just terrible. That is why I look to healthboards, its my only hope. I have met several doctors and not one person has been able to give me a proper diagnosis or even care to explain the drugs he's prescribed me, and believe me I have probed. Now tomorrow I'm going to one, and I know he's going to prescribe me some antibiotics. Should I take them? I really want to do something radical and get this over with. Please suggest.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
(female)

Altari HB UserAltari HB User
Re: 5 weeks of cold, now anti-biotics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalie22 View Post
So its now been 5 weeks of being down with a cold and sinus headaches. I never went to the doctor hoping it would vanish the next weekend, and never had any fever or so. But its been consistent: mild headache, fatigue, nose blocked or leaking. I've been sleeping 11 hours, and I cannot live like this anymore.
In general, if the illness doesn't go away (or at least dramatically improve) in 10-14 days, it's bacterial. Viruses like the cold/flu will typically "play out" within 2 weeks with rest/fluids.

Quote:
Now tomorrow I'm going to one, and I know he's going to prescribe me some antibiotics. Should I take them? I really want to do something radical and get this over with. Please suggest.
You should probably take it. During my last go-round with a sinus infection, I was given a z-pack. Cleared up a 6 week long illness in 4 days.

The Following User Says Thank You to Altari For This Useful Post:
yalie22 (02-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
(male)

yalie22 HB User
Re: 5 weeks of cold, now anti-biotics?

Hi Altari! Thank you SOOOO much for that I've pressed the thank you n hug buttons like 10 times but it won't let me

I'd almost given up on healthboards most of the times I dnt get relevant reply or people do their own spin off on my post rather than attempting to give their opinion / experience on my specific question. You were bang on!! I'm so happy because I actually took the antibiotics just coz I was fed up, and it seems to have worked!! Day 4 n this is the best I've felt in 1.5 months

I guess I had a misconception that a cold always means virus.. Still a little confused but literally bursting with happiness now that I'm almost there! Thanks a billion again, and I hope every post on HB is as relevant as yours

Closed Thread