It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
(female)

cinderella1952 HB User
Frequent colds

I am a 52 year old woman who has normally been very healthy and active. When I'm not walking 4+ miles per day, I am doing rigorous hiking at least 3X per week.

In September I came down with a cold that lasted almost a month. I went to the doctor and he ran a complete blood panel. My main complaint was I was very run down and tired all the time. Everything came out normal except my platelet count was 414, 14 points higher than what is considered the normal range.

Since September I have probably gotten at least 6 colds. I am currently in the latter stages of my most current cold. Why would someone like myself, who is otherwise very healthy and active be getting frequent colds? I'm beginning to worry their may be some underlying cause for this.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Frequent colds

I have heard that working out too much can lower a person's immune system. When you get a cold you need to rest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

There several reasons for a higher then normal platelet count. As long as it is only a temporary high it could be lack of vitamin B12..acute infection and response to physical activity. Has your Dr. asked you to be checked again?

Hopefully your feeling much better and have been checked....JJ

Last edited by JJ; 03-03-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
(female)

pinchbeck HB User

I am 42 and have been getting frequent upper respiratory infection for years which of course includes influenza. At the moment I have sinusitis and an ear infection and in my 13th day of being sick and miserable.

My boyfriend who eats restaurant food daily, smokes, and drinks coke every day gets sick once per year. I get sick 8 - 10 times per year and like you I am doing everything right! I wish I could answer your question and will be following your post.

Being sick intereferes with the enjoyment of daily life. It's no fun feeling weak, tired, and being stuffed up while coughing with a brick in your ear. Ugh, I feel for you!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchbeck View Post
I am 42 and have been getting frequent upper respiratory infection for years which of course includes influenza. At the moment I have sinusitis and an ear infection and in my 13th day of being sick and miserable........... like you I am doing everything right!
Everything right? Years ago when I switched from white (wheat) bread to 100% whole wheat, I was sure I had gotten it right. Now, according to, "Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type", I have been informed that I shouldn't be eating any wheat of any kind. (Correction: There is one exception: I can eat Ezekiel bread that has wheat sprouts.)

I'm always in the process of improving my diet, in one way or another. So at what point can I say for sure that I have everything right?

Everyone is different so certain foods may not be good for you, even though, in general, they are thought to be healthy for many people.

Last edited by JohnR41; 03-23-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Correction: I can eat Ezekeil bread that has wheat sprouts, among other things.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
(female)

pinchbeck HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
Everything right? Years ago when I switched from white (wheat) bread to 100% whole wheat, I was sure I had gotten it right. Now, according to, "Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type", I have been informed that I shouldn't be eating any wheat of any kind.
I should look into that. I also wouldn't mind having my immunoglobulin levels checked since my complete blood count (CBC) and other tests for biochemistry came out normal. Maybe knowing my blood type and eating for my blood type would help.

My daily regime consists of taking:
-a multivitamin
-astralagas root (for people who get frequent colds). I had only been taking 1/3 of the recommended dosage thinking it would be enough but I am going to take what's recommended for six months to see if there is any improvement.
-drink four cups of green tea/day

Some say adding probiotics helps immunity, too. I don't know. How many supplements does a person have to take? It gets to be a bit much and this week I have added liquid Vitamin D to my supplement list (in an oil base so it get easily absorbed). Swallow, swallow, drink, swallow, swallow, drink to chase 'em all down!

Last edited by pinchbeck; 03-22-2011 at 09:14 AM.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
(female)

Specialk988 HB User

I too get frequent colds, feels like I am sick more than healthy! Common theme I am noticing is I too am a workout fiend, 6/7 times a week. I thought that working out was part of a healthy lifestyle? Am I missing something?

Old 04-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialk988 View Post
I too get frequent colds, feels like I am sick more than healthy! Common theme I am noticing is I too am a workout fiend, 6/7 times a week. I thought that working out was part of a healthy lifestyle? Am I missing something?
Working out IS part of a healthy lifestyle. But the question is: How much is enough and how much is too much? If you always enjoy working out, then it's probably not too much. But if you have to drag yourself or force yourself to do it, that may be a sign that it's too much. If you get a lot of aches and pains and often feel fatigued, that may be a sign that you're exercising too much.

If you feel sick more than healthy, it sounds like you might be exercising too much. The only way to find out is to back off a little. Take a day off and get some rest whenever you feel fatigued. And don't go back to exercising until you feel like you have the energy.

This assumes you are eating a healthy diet with fruit and plenty of non-starchy vegetables etc..

Taking multiple medications will only serve to complicate things. It may be more than one thing that's causing your problem.

Last edited by JohnR41; 04-28-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Added a sentence.

Closed Thread