It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
(male)

erg57 HB User
Viral infection --not flu ----normal CBC

I have had a flu-like illness that hit a few weeks ago for one week. bed ridden for four-five days. It went away for one week completely and I felt good it and then came back last week--bed ridden again. I though I had recovered before and went back to heavy exercise--big mistake. I think that made me sick again

Thru both bouts, I only had nausea and fatigue/malaise, slight chills, red eyes and runny nose. No cough, no sore throat, no fever (maybe 99.0 at highest briefly though 98.6 makes me feel feverish), no vomiting, no diarrhea. I went to dr this morning and they dont think its flu. they did CBC and mono test and both were negative---they cannot find anything.

I am feeling better, not bed ridden, but am really fatigued and still kind crummy feeling. I think anxiety is making this worse for me to be honest. I can eat now. I have never been sick for so long. They are calling it possibly viral. how much longer until i am better? Anyone else ever had this?

The following user gives a hug of support to erg57:
JJ (02-15-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Viral infection --not flu ----normal CBC

There's a lot of viruses going around this winter, you probably got hit with a second one before your energy levels fully recovered from the first. Couple years ago, I was sick for about 2.5 weeks, in what seemed to be 3 separate waves. Year before that, I had a cough that lasted 4 weeks, bedridden for the first 5 days.

Don't go back to heavy exercise for a while yet. When you can get through normal activities without feeling exhausted, try some light exercises. Eat fresh fruits and veggies if your stomach is up for it. Maybe a multivitamin, too. Make sure you are getting enough sleep at night, too.

Also, avoid reinfection! Diligent handwashing is key. If you have touched a surface in public, like a doorknob, don't touch your eyes, nose, mouth, or food until you've thoroughly washed them your hands.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
erg57 (02-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
(male)

erg57 HB User

Thanks Jane. I have probably consumed more liquid in the last month than I have in the last five months. Im hydrated. Fatigued and crummy, but hydrated

Does the fact that the CBC was "perfect" mean its good news? There was no sign of infection to the doctor---but she said i likely have a virus? How could my CBC be negative then?

Old 02-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Jane is quite accurate. For some reason there is a virus going around that seems to want to be your friend for life. My son is a nurse and he had it for 2 months on and off. He said he felt like he got hit by a truck and was never so sick that he can remember, yet no fever or anything, just plain old run down.

I also have had it on and off for a month, feel great for a few days then lousy for a few days. Like you, no fever just plain old feel crummy!!!! Of course as soon as I feel better, boom, I just get right on to doing normal things and then bang, feel lousy again. I blammed it on the H1N1 being included in the flu shot this year. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion.

Your CBC is a complete blood count and unless your white cells are high, it means no infection, so that is why your test came back ok. Just try to take it easy, I know, it stinks, but that seems to be the only way to finally get rid of it. Trust me I hear ya, it really is making me very annoyed as I want to just get rid of it...PERIOD!

Take it easy, rest, stay warm and hydrated and feel better.....JJ...

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
erg57 (02-15-2011)
Old 02-15-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
(male)

erg57 HB User

im sorry to hear about you and your son, but that makes me feel a heck of a lot better knowing this duration is not unusual. Im not going to say " i never get sick", but im used to three days and done.

I feel better today. But i have had those good days before too. I usually take a few supplements when healthy but now I am taking zinc, garlic and am drinking green tea with kombucha. Nurse at clinic swears by this tea. My water intake is being measured by the gallon.

ive missed a lot of work, but luckily I can keep up from home

Old 02-15-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Yup, that's about all you can do unless it turns into an infection is rest and stay very hydrated. I love green tea myself, usually the Bigelow w/lemon.

Glad your feeling better, just don't push it. My son lost quite a few days as well here and there, and he is not the type to stay home, but Dr. said NO work for 3 days each time. As long as you can work from home...do it ...

Glad I could help, sure will be glad when this virus goes bye-bye...JJ....

Last edited by JJ; 02-22-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
(male)

erg57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Jane is quite accurate. For some reason there is a virus going around that seems to want to be your friend for life. My son is a nurse and he had it for 2 months on and off. He said he felt like he got hit by a truck and was never so sick that he can remember, yet no fever or anything, just plain old run down.

I also have had it on and off for a month, feel great for a few days then lousy for a few days. Like you, no fever just plain old feel crummy!!!! Of course as soon as I feel better, boom, I just get right on to doing normal things and then bang, feel lousy again. I blammed it on the H1N1 being included in the flu shot this year. I could be wrong, but that's my opinion.

Your CBC is a complete blood count and unless your white cells are high, it means no infection, so that is why your test came back ok. Just try to take it easy, I know, it stinks, but that seems to be the only way to finally get rid of it. Trust me I hear ya, it really is making me very annoyed as I want to just get rid of it...PERIOD!

Take it easy, rest, stay warm and hydrated and feel better.....JJ...
I was over it for four days. Felt pretty good. Now today I'm getting that tiredness and "warm" feeling again. I hope its not kicking in again. This would be the third wave in last five weeks. I am trying to head it off. My doctor ran tests last week. They know what this is not. I'm guessing its a similar virus to yours'.

The following user gives a hug of support to erg57:
JJ (02-21-2011)
Old 02-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sheesh..sorry to hear it feels like it's coming back. I have heard so many people complaining of the same thing, it's like our winter, it just won't go away!

My friend in LA. e-mailed me friday that hers is back, now this is her 3rd go around with it and she is on antibiotics. I really hope it gets out of your system and doesn't get like before as I know how you feel. Mine keeps doing the same thing, I feel great for a week and then crummy for about 3 days but so far have not had to go on antibiotics.

As long as the Dr. ran tests then it probably is viral, so just ward it off as best you can with staying hydrated, extra rest and some extra vitamin C.

Feel better kiddo......JJ.....

Old 02-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
(male)

erg57 HB User

Thanks. You too.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
(male)

erg57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Sheesh..sorry to hear it feels like it's coming back. I have heard so many people complaining of the same thing, it's like our winter, it just won't go away!

My friend in LA. e-mailed me friday that hers is back, now this is her 3rd go around with it and she is on antibiotics. I really hope it gets out of your system and doesn't get like before as I know how you feel. Mine keeps doing the same thing, I feel great for a week and then crummy for about 3 days but so far have not had to go on antibiotics.

As long as the Dr. ran tests then it probably is viral, so just ward it off as best you can with staying hydrated, extra rest and some extra vitamin C.

Feel better kiddo......JJ.....

JJ,

would you mind sharing your symptoms again so I can compare?

When sick, I have loss of appetite, white coated tongue--this is how I know im getting sick, fatigue/malaise and a temp not usually higher than 99.0 or so--though it goes up and down to upper 97s intermittently. I would not say I have an issue with fever at all. My nose can get a bit runny and in my first wave, red watery eyes. The first wave was the worst.

I can get nauseated, though never have vomited. No diarrhea. No cough. No sore throat. No chest phlegm.

thanks

Old 02-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Just feel very tired like I didn't get any sleep, yet I sleep fine. Stuffy nose especially when I lay down. Like you, no fever or cough, just plain old yuky with no energy. Sometimes I feel like I am flushed and feel warm and then other times I feel cold. Lack of appetite as well. A few times I had the watery eyes and then other times they felt dry. Hubby has been having the same thing. Feels fine when he gets up in the a.m. but as the day goes on he feels sleepy, stuffy and just plain old tired.

Of course around here if the weather would possibly give us a break and stop snowing every 2 days maybe we all would feel more energetic. I just had blood work done a week and a half ago and everything came back fine so it can't be anything serious. Oh well, guess we best just try and tough it out and hope it goes soon as it is annoying the hell out of me.

Just got an e-mail from a friend I haven't heard from all last week and he and his wife are back down with it too, this is their second time, and yup, same symptoms.

Take care and feel better...JJ.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:39 AM   #12
(male)

erg57 HB User

did your son resolve it? im starting to freak out about this despite test results. what the hell is this?

Old 02-22-2011, 06:19 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I talked to him over the weekend and he is feeling 110% better the past 2 weeks. Only thing he told me was his supervisor at the hospital is wondering if all the sickness going around the hospital is because their flu shots had a live H1N1 in it.

Have no idea if the general publics flu shot had the live version or not but it did contain the H1N1. I know last year when it was seperate I refused it but this year it was an all in one thing.... It's possible it has nothing to do with it, but who really knows.

Now today I woke up feeling great, yesterday lousy so go figure. I'm still a bit stuffy but that is about it. Don't freak out over it as it has to end soon. As long as all our blood work came back fine, and I had A LOT done cause it was the annual thing, I am not going to get upset. Of course I still keep blaming it on the weather as our sunshine has been so limited this year and I'm sick to death of shoveling snow and seeing dirty piles of snow everywhere.

Hope you are doing better and enjoy your day.....JJ...

Old 02-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #14
(male)

erg57 HB User

thanks. i dont get flu shots so that cant apply to me. when sick i cant function, I can barely get out of bed. im a full on sick today

Old 02-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

If your sick enough that you can't seem to function then time to call your Dr. for some explanation. Maybe your so run down you might need some kind of meds. to knock it out of you. So far I've been ok but as I said, extremely tired.

Two years ago my sinuses were driving me bats on and off for over 2 weeks and no matter what I tried it didn't help. I finally went to the Dr. and she gave me an antibiotic to knock it out of me. I had no fever, but just couldn't shake it.

Take care and hope you feel better...JJ...

Closed Thread