It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User
Do I have a cold or flu? Should I see a doctor?

Here are the days and symptoms.

Day 1: Sore throat

Day 2: Sore throat goes away, beginning of congestion. ( I thought for sure this was a cold. This is always how it starts for me and most people.)

Day 3: More congestion, runny nose, sneezing.

Day 4: First day of fever (strange ), congestion, runny nose, sneezing

Day 5: Fever congestion, runny nose, sneezing

I am not sure if I have even ever gotten the flu. It has been at least 10 years since I got a cold. If I remember correctly, usually when I get a cold, it goes away after five days.

I did an internet search, and most sites say that fever is rare with a cold. I am wondering why I didn't get a fever any of the first three days.

What do I have?

Last edited by kevinla; 03-04-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Do I have a cold or flu? Should I see a doctor?

There are some particularly nasty cold bugs going around. And I tend to have at least a mild fever with almost every cold I get.

The flu tends to produce a high fever, and symptoms tend to set in faster (fever the first day.)

Rest, take care of yourself, give it a few more days. If you get worse, (high fever, bad cough) or you don't start to improve within a few days, see a doctor. Still, most of the time there's not much they can do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

It could be a virus, cold or even the flu. As Jane said, there really is a nasty bug going around that seems to want to hang on forever. Sometimes you feel fine for a few days and then boom your feeling rotten again.

Most all of them can include a slight fever. Of course if it is viral there isn't much you can do except rest and drink lots of fluids to stay hydrated. Naturally if you feel worse as the days go on or develop a higher fever contact your Dr. as it may be an infection. Hope you feel better soon.

Get some rest.....JJ...

Old 03-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
It could be a virus, cold or even the flu. As Jane said, there really is a nasty bug going around that seems to want to hang on forever. Sometimes you feel fine for a few days and then boom your feeling rotten again.

Most all of them can include a slight fever. Of course if it is viral there isn't much you can do except rest and drink lots of fluids to stay hydrated. Naturally if you feel worse as the days go on or develop a higher fever contact your Dr. as it may be an infection. Hope you feel better soon.

Get some rest.....JJ...
Thank you ladies.

Exactly what happened to me. I thought I was on the upswing a day ago, then yesterday I went backwards.

I do feel better this morning though.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

That seems to be the way this fool thing works. Almost everyone I know who has had it says the same thing, great for a few days then feels yucky for a couple. I was at my Drs. today for a checkup and the gal behind the desk was saying the same thing, she feels fine for awhile, and now is back to sneezing her head off. Not sick enough to be in bed, just lousy enough not to have much energy. Hang in there, it has to get better....

Hope ya feel much better soon....JJ....

Old 03-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
(female)

JasmineD HB User

it does sound like the flu having a 'fever', however when i went to the doctors whilst having the flu i did get a bit of a lecture because apparently your not meant to leave the house with it?!
all i can reccoment is the way i got rid of my flu, which was drinking water CONSTANTLY, although hot drinks to soothe the throat, water is much better for you and will get rid of that thick mucus at the back of the throat. i would also recommend soup, a warm blanket and some oranges
feel better soon! xx

Old 04-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi sometimes some people like to use a clove of garlic 3 times a day in the mouth and chewed lightly until it disappears.
Some people use a nose/throat irrigation if this description is needed or desired let me know. Some people like a warm neck treatment if this is desired let me know.

Sweets do not help the body it clogs the system and makes a person more susceptible to sore throats, flu and colds and even more dangerous illness from pathogens such as virus, yeast, and bacteria.

Some people find foods containing the natural forms of vitamin c beneficial such as citrus, grapefruit, lemons, limes and the more sour oranges. The canned, frozen and bottled forms do not seem that beneficial for this purpose in my opinion. The freshly made juice can be diluted with water if it seems to burn too much.

Of course substances such as mustard, vinegar, spices, alcohol and smoking would not help a sore throat.

Closed Thread