It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 03:26 AM   #1
(male)

jimmyhonda HB User
I've got this flu for more than 10 days...am I doing everything right?

This flu just won't go away. And I feel totally miserable. Never thought it could last that long.

Yes, I take immune suppressant (anti-TNF) drug for treating my arthritis condition.

-I get tired.
-I spent the whole day sleeping, except waking up every 6 hours to take paracetamol.
- I cough , and the dry cough medicine that I purchased at the chemist doesn't work.
- I don't have sore throat or sinus - which is a surprise.
- When I sleep, my face gets 'hot' (flush) and I could feel my heart and that nerve on my head racing fast making me really uncomfortable.

What am I doing wrong?

- should I be removing my blankets when I sleep?
-should I be taking more powerful drug than paracetamol? The chemist store sells this Cold and Flu medication. But it has an ingredient for treating sinues. I don't have runny nose.

Does Amoxyicillin helps?

Last edited by jimmyhonda; 04-23-2011 at 03:28 AM.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
(male)

jimmyhonda HB User
Re: I've got this flu for more than 10 days...am I doing everything right?

The most depressing thing about being sick is, unable to get out of bed to do things.

My mother would cook for me and I appreciate her for doing that...but most of the time, she's not around or out with friends.

When I want to eat a burger.. or running out of cough lollies there's just no one there for me.

None of my siblings had volunteer to ask me whether I wanted something when they head off to the supermarket.

Such a lonely life.

Don't know whether I'm the only person who experience this, everytime I get sick, I would remember some sad memories of my past such as the death in the family. I was there when my father died when I was about 7 yrs old. And my grandmother died when I was 25yrs old. Those things I don't think about anymore, why do they came back to haunt me in the middle of the night?

Wish this flu will go away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2011, 03:09 AM   #3
(male)

lilostitch HB User

Hmm a few things which can help alleviate some of the irritation the flu is causing.

First of all you should have a lot of rest since it's medically proven that cold stays longer in case you don't rest. Also remember to drink lots of water since it helps to flush out congestion.
Sometimes you think its the flu whereas it actually could be something else instead. You might want to check with your doc weather it's an allergy and not a cold.
Also you might have caught a secondary infection since the body's immune system becomes weak during a cold and susceptible to catching other infections

I know you must have got simillar advice and all i can say is that your doc is far more qualified for a diagnosis of your problem.However, in case you feel that your problem is not being resolved, try seeking a second or even a third opinion. Get well soon

Old 04-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
(male)

jimmyhonda HB User

It's 17th day...and I still haven't recover form this flu.

I spend most of the time in bed because I get tired very easily. Plus, my head/neck sometimes hurt.

I got myself a cranberries juice and right now I'm drinking a cup of warm water filled with a slice of lemon and some added honey.

I wish it would go away. The headaches, and tiredness is driving me crazy.

To made me even more frustrated - my freaking neighbour is play loud music next door. He has been doing this since I was sick. Yesterday, I coughed loudly to make him stop. He stopped and now he thinks I'm not around, and which is why he's turning on some darn freaking music again!

Why are people so selfish?

My symptoms are:
-extreme tiredness,
-some headaches around my neck
-chill and hot depending how much blanket I use.

I really want to take the amoxycillin - but my doc only thinks it's the flu.

I stopped taking panadol...some references say, it's best to let the body fight the infection.

Not sure if i'm on the right tract.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:04 AM   #5
(male)

jimmyhonda HB User

Starting to feel better...I hope.

How many days now? 2 weeks + 5 days = 19 days.

Never in my life experience something like this that lasted for 19 days.

Feeling slighly drowsy because of the medicine. I find the liquid/syrup version of paracetamol works well for me. I made the switch this third week. Originally I've been taking the tablets but felt like vomiting because of the taste.

Hoping to get better by Monday. Please God. Don't want to waste any more time.

I still get hot/cold when I sleep. I find it is best to remove that extra blanket that is causing me to feel hot.

Soup helps...glad that mum made some soup for me.

Last edited by jimmyhonda; 04-29-2011 at 02:08 AM.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:38 AM   #6
(male)

jimmyhonda HB User

Can you believe it that I have this flu for at least 7 weeks?

Not 7 days but 7 weeks. I hope this week is my recovery week. God please! I need back those energy.

This week not as exhausted as previous weeks. My energy is slowly coming back but my mind still feels dull and body a bit achy. Breathing is a bit fast. Coughing has decreased when I found out from my x-ray that my lungs were fine.

Could it be the food I eat?
On my 6th-7th week:
-I stopped eating cereal as it makes my coughing worst.
-I asked my mother to put lots of onions when she cook for me as I heard that onions can kill the virus. Not a nice taste, but when you know that onions are "goodies" you just have to take them.
- I avoid chilled drinks/juices. They just make me feel 'cold'. I prefer drinks/ juices that are not chilled and left at room temperature.
- My mother makes some nice soups. One of the soup I took, helped relief/decreased the coughing at night. Too bad I don't know the name of that soup.
- On my 7th week, I cooked up vegetarian spaghetti using broccoli, and carrots and olives. The richness of the spaghetti sauce plus the olives and a sprinkle of olives oil taste delicious. Too bad I don't have Parmesan cheese. I swear I feel better eating it.
- Eating food (breakfast, lunch, dinner) is important because it helps to gain back my energy.
- Avoid sugary drinks. Things like cranberry juice, blueberry juice that you find in the supermarket taste too sweet.
- How could I forget a hot cup of lemon and honey drink. Smoothing.

Below is my brief extract of my 7 week journey to the doctor. If I was to do differently, I would have ordered my doctor to give me the x-ray during my third visit.

1st visit to doc:
Me: coughing, extreme fatigue, headache, feverish.
doc: "you got a high temperature. You got the flu. Take paracetamol."

2nd visit to same doc:
Me: coughing, extreme fatigue, light-headed, feverish.
doc: "I'll give you antibiotics to take."

3rd visit to the same doc:
Me: "hey doc, I've been coughing for 4-5 weeks. Any recommended cough suppressant?"
doc: "I'll prescribe you codeine Linctus. But it will make you drowsy."

4th visit to the same doc:
Me: "doc, I've been coughing for 7 weeks now. Tried all those cough meds but they don't help.
doc: "7 weeks?! You need a x-ray done immediately. Plus, I'll give you a different antibiotic to take. You have a fever. Take Paracetamol."
Me: "I've been taking Paracetamol for at least 7 weeks. I hope it's safe."

I didn't purchased the antibiotic. I didn't want to ruin my health if this infection was a virus instead of a bacteria.

x-ray done.

5th visit to the same doc:
doc: "your x-ray is fine. Don't know what's causing you to cough. But try your best not to cough. You need to purchase a inhaler to clear your lungs."

Last edited by jimmyhonda; 05-18-2011 at 05:39 AM.

Closed Thread