It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
(female)

snowangle909 HB User
Seems worse than the normal cold.

I got sick a couple weeks ago. It started as a severe sore throat and a fever, with pretty much no other symptoms. That's when I thought it was strep. I didn't go to the doctor, though. The fever went away after a day, and the sore throat got better after a few days.

Then it turned into a persistent cough and runny nose. The cough was pretty severe, though; I'd often have to leave the room until the coughing spasms stopped. That's when I guessed that maybe it was just a bad cold, since it usually turns into a cough as it gets better. The one thing that was different was that the cough was sometimes triggered by exercise (just walking up stairs or something) or talking. Also, I lost my voice at some point, which isn't normal. Then, today, my cough got worse instead of better. It's starting to get productive, and it's pretty persistent except for the occasional spasm. Sometimes I cough so much I gag.

This is just much worse than I normally get colds. I'm pretty sure it's not the flu because I got vaccinated for that. Any ideas on what it could be? Should I go to the doctor?

Old 05-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Seems worse than the normal cold.

Read some of the posts here as it seems whatever the "bug" is this year is a real winner. Seeing yours gets worse with any exercise or walking up stairs do have it checked if it doesn't go away in a few days. Are you sure you don't have allergies as they seem horrible this year. Also don't think it isin't the flu cause you got the shot, as many get it even when getting the shot.

Good luck, and feel better...JJ..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
(female)

snowangle909 HB User

Thanks JJ, yeah I do get seasonal allergies, I just kinda ruled that out since it's kinda late in the season and it's worse than normal. That might be it though. Thanks again!

Old 05-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

No problem as I know folks who normally don't have allergies that have all the symptoms this year. It's been a wild weather pattern.

Take good care...JJ...

Old 05-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
(female)

snowangle909 HB User

Update: I think I'm gonna see the doctor. All the coughing is making my rib muscles sore (it hurts to cough or move now) and I'm not showing hardly any sign of improvement.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I agree. Any cough that makes you hurt isn't at all normal.

Let us know the outcome...JJ...

Old 05-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
(female)

snowangle909 HB User

Okay, went to the doctor this morning. She didn't tell me exactly what I had, but she said my coughing is being caused by drainage from my nose. She prescribed me some antibiotics and recommended that I take some over-the-counter allergy meds to "dry things up." One of my ears is also apparently inflamed, but she thinks it'll go away as the other symptoms do. Thanks for your all's support by the way.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Right..it's post nasal drip from your sinuses and it sounds like you may have some fluid in your ears. When my sinuses act up that's about what I get. If it doesn't clear thoroughly see an ENT. Mine gave me a Neilmed plastic bottle sinus rinse thing and it does help but only after you clear the infection.

Good luck and feel better...JJ...

Closed Thread