It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
(female)

xenagurl20 HB User
coughing fits

First off, I have talked to my doctor about these coughing fits and he prescribed Singular. I filled thgivie first of the 5 refills and because of the cost I haven't filled another one yet because I have other loans that need my attention. I have had four of these coughing fits now. The first three have been when I was inside my house and the fourth one occurred today outside while pushing carts. (I am a bagger at a grocery store.) For the past three days I have had a runny nose but no cough. I haven't actually started coughing until I got to the store and started pushing carts.

Then after about 10 minutes of pushing carts I start coughing. Not a cough here and a cough there but it felt like I had something stuck in my throat and I couldn't stop coughing after that. Then my chest started to feel tight, I was coughing so hard that I ended up giving my self a headache in turn, and worked up a good sweat. That was my main concern. I tried to come in about 15 minutes til the top of the next hour and I don't think the Customer Service Manager knew what was going on and she asked me to finish the last 15 minutes on carts. So I didn't want to disobey her and I went back outside. I put up with it for another 15 minutes and then finally went back inside. I saw one of the cashiers didn't have a bagger and I went to her lane.

She noticed after ringing up the order that I was shaky and having to some degree some trouble breathing. She have me a lozenge and told me to take some deep breaths. After about maybe close to 4 hours my breathing finally started to normalize.

I guess my question here is does this sound like something more than just a cold or allergies My doctor prescribed the singular for the asthma type symptoms. for the month that I was taking the medication I guess I noticed a little improvement. I guess I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to see if he would prescribe an inhaler to carry around just in case Or if something else needs to be done....????? I really don't know. All I do know is that I have had four of these types of attacks and only one out of the three had me wheezing afterward. I'm completely stumped. Can anyone out there give me some advice? Please??? I would be most grateful!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: coughing fits

That could be an attack of cough-variant asthma, and it might indeed be worth getting an inhaler, just to see if it helps. If it does, there are stronger medicines that can prevent the symptoms in the first place, both Singulair and special inhalers. The rescue inhalers typically cost about $40 for 200 puffs, which is cheaper than the preventer medicines.

However, if you don't have insurance, there are prescription assistance programs to help you buy medicines. The manufacturer's website may have some information.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
xenagurl20 (11-16-2011)
Old 11-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
(female)

xenagurl20 HB User
Re: coughing fits

Thank you for the helpful information! That helps a lot and I will see when I can get it looked into

Closed Thread