It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
(male)

AJR1 HB User
3 month viral infection - advice/comments/suggestions

I've had what seems to be a viral infection for 3 months now - symptoms are similar to a flu but I haven't had a sore throat. I've had some nasal congestion, aching limbs, shivering at times with a bit of a temperature. I've also lost my appetite on occasion and felt sick. I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 18 months ago but what I've got isn't the same. I'll be ok for a while but then I start feeling the same and want to stay in bed. It's been like this for 3 months. Any suggestions/advice/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
(female)

Daisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB UserDaisy65 HB User
Re: 3 month viral infection - advice/comments/suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR1 View Post
I've had what seems to be a viral infection for 3 months now - symptoms are similar to a flu but I haven't had a sore throat. I've had some nasal congestion, aching limbs, shivering at times with a bit of a temperature. I've also lost my appetite on occasion and felt sick. I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 18 months ago but what I've got isn't the same. I'll be ok for a while but then I start feeling the same and want to stay in bed. It's been like this for 3 months. Any suggestions/advice/comments would be greatly appreciated.
I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and I have the same symptoms your describing when I have a episode with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

this is what I try to do if the pain isn't to bad. I drink ensure, I make myself eat six small meals a day. I try to exercise, but sometimes I can't. Stress will cause you to feel worse, are you under a lot of stress?

I hope you start feeling better soon.

hugs
Daisy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
(male)

chrisrobert1979 HB User

I feel your pain. I've had two months of feeling ill/general malaise...kind of flu-like yuckiness. Occasional nausea. A doctor I saw told me it could be a long-lasting virus.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

There does seem to be some fool thing going around. I have had an on going flu/virus type thing for almost 2 months. Been through 2 rounds of antibiotics and although I feel a bit better it is still not completely gone. My sister-in-law and her son have had it as well and we haven't even seen each other in 3 months. Went to see my ENT and he said it is a sinus issue but thinks it is viral and doesn't wish me to go on anymore antibiotics if possible. Hang in there, it has to go sooner or later..hopefully sooner. I feel what your experiencing.

Best wishes...JJ...

Old 01-23-2012, 03:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
There does seem to be some fool thing going around. I have had an on going flu/virus type thing for almost 2 months. Been through 2 rounds of antibiotics and although I feel a bit better it is still not completely gone. My sister-in-law and her son have had it as well and we haven't even seen each other in 3 months. Went to see my ENT and he said it is a sinus issue but thinks it is viral and doesn't wish me to go on anymore antibiotics if possible. Hang in there, it has to go sooner or later..hopefully sooner. I feel what your experiencing.

Best wishes...JJ...
I have had the same thing for 3 months now on and off and It attacked my sinuses - my and kids keep passing it back and forth. Do you feel better now?

Old 01-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Gigi...Like AJR1 said it seems to linger and linger. Have days where I think oh good it is finally gone and then a few days later feel like all I want to do is sleep. It definately is a sinus thing as if I'm not sneezing my head off I am totally plugged.

Bought an air purifier, do the sinus rinses, etc. etc. and yet it still has NOT totally gone away. Purifier actually made me feel more dried out so it went back. Can't say I feel sick enough to be in bed but just total lack of energy and feel dehyrated a lot. 3 friends of mine have it and all their Drs. say is try and ride it out. Gosh I hope everyone who has this feels much better soon as I am about ready to pull my hair out.

Best of wishes to all...JJ....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
annie42 (01-24-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

read about the new reports on nedi pots - not good to do anymore. My friends too have this thing on and off.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah I read about that as well. They claim if you boil the water it is suppose to be ok or use distilled water. Geeze, you really don't know what the heck to believe anymore...SAD!!!!

Yup, whatever it is an aweful lot of people have it and say the same thing, it lasts and lasts and goes and comes...WEIRD!

Feel better...JJ.....

Old 01-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
(male)

RS23BT HB User

But the whole "ride it out" concept, to me at least, is what is frustrating. I get the whole concept that you can't use antibiotics to treat a cold; however, is there nothing else that the medical community can offer?

Old 01-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Not really, my doctor just said take this amoxicillion till you get rid of it so he basically gave me a whole bottle of it. I am starting to feel good today but this thing is tricky because once you feel good then boom you feel bad another day. My neighbor has it again and stayed home all day yesterday. She said it felt like someone hit me with a truck and my son felt the same way the other day. Now everyone's neck hurts and have headaches. I never had to fight something like this. I think I rather have swine flu which only took me 5 days to fight off and this is 3 months. I just want my voice back.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #11
(male)

RS23BT HB User

[QUOTE=gigi11;4916070] I am starting to feel good today but this thing is tricky because once you feel good then boom you feel bad another day. QUOTE]

That's my concern -- and nice application of the word, "tricky."

Old 01-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I spent some time outside today because it was unusual weather 56 degrees but as soon as i came in my throat was dry and i coughed alot. My eyes watered and my nose clogged up. I beginning to think that this is a allergy related cold as well. My daughter got a headache too.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #13
(male)

RS23BT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
I spent some time outside today because it was unusual weather 56 degrees but as soon as i came in my throat was dry and i coughed alot. My eyes watered and my nose clogged up. I beginning to think that this is a allergy related cold as well. My daughter got a headache too.
Are you in MA? That's where I am, and our temperatures were at or around 56 degrees. The weather this winter, going from mild temperatures to a few days of arctic cold, back to mild temperatures, then back to a few days of arctic cold -- in my opinion, has made this "cold" season far worse.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's exactly what I was thinking as well. Our weather here in CT. has been nuts, up and down temps. 2 days ago we had snow and freezing temps. and yesterday was like spring so I'm sure that isn't helping either.

I had to go out most of yesterday and like Gigi, last night I was sneezing my head off yet I've never been known to have any allergies. Oh well guess we all just to hope and pray it goes soon and we all feel better as this is getting on everyone's nerves.

Take care all and best wishes....JJ....

Old 01-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

You know I was starting to feel good Monday and Tuesday but like I said I went outside yesterday and I coughed when I came back in. Well today was my worst day. My stomach was so upset and I had to go to the bathroom several times. Don't know if it is because I took the amoxicillian on a empty stomach. My nose feels clear and my chest feels good but I still don't feel 100%. This virus hits you throughout the day on and off. You will feel good and then you get a spacey headache above your eyebrow. In the morning I have to clear out my nose and throat. This is just crazyyyyyyy! I am sick of being sick.

Closed Thread