It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
(female)

shannonwall9395 HB User
Exclamation Cold/Virus

If you have been sick recently with the dreaded cold/virus going around right now, please post your symptoms, what you have tried to treat it, and how long it is lasting. Maybe together we can figure this out! Thank you, Bless you, and hope we all feel better!

Old 01-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: Cold/Virus

wondering if you still have it - I have a cough, burning in the nose, sinus headaches, and congestion - scratchy throat, drainage in my throat. I have had it for three months now and been on two antiobiotic. It won't leave my body. My kids still have it too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
(male)

RS23BT HB User

This Friday, 1/27, it will have been two weeks since I first felt myself coming down with this cold.

Today, Thursday, 1/26, I feel much improved as my sore throat is gone, the coughing has essentially stopped, and I can now speak. The only symptoms that remain are a bit of head congestion, and on/off fullness in my left ear that comes and goes. (Previous symptoms included a very deep cough, which would bring up lots of "yellowish" colored pghlem, low fever, hardly any appetite, and terrible head congestion.)

Doctor advised that what I had was viral, which ruled out antibiotics. So, I started out with Robitussin but after a bit of research switched to Mucinex "Severe Congestion and Cough." I also on occasion used Afrin medicated spray to ease congestion. Tylenol when I had a fever. But that's it. Otherwise, a lot of vitamin C, hot tea, water, gargling with salt water, inhaling steam, chicken soup, and nasil saline spray.

I will tell you - and my wife agrees with me, that a worse cold I do not recall ever encountering. Duration is usually 3-5 with me, but this one easily lasted two weeks and was a bear to get through, one for which I am still dealing with the remnants. A very draining cold.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

I got it 3 times - I had swine flu 2 years ago and that was easier than this cold. This cold was nasty and I thought I was dying. It attacked my sinuses so bad. I usually fight a cold off in 5 days but this cold hung on for 3 weeks.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
(male)

Zaun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
wondering if you still have it - I have a cough, burning in the nose, sinus headaches, and congestion - scratchy throat, drainage in my throat. I have had it for three months now and been on two antiobiotic. It won't leave my body. My kids still have it too.
I have identical symptoms, no more to add seriously and no less. I got this cold Saturday. I hope it leaves me as soon as possible.

Good luck everybody

Last edited by Zaun; 02-01-2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: type error cor.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
(male)

outcast HB User

Today is the 9th day I've had whatever virus is harassing me. The first few days were the worst, with congestion and a faucet-nose that kept me up at night. For the past several days, I've been coughing up a small bit of mucus and blowing my nose constantly.

My left ear has been plugged for several days now. I've never, ever had this happen before. It's driving me nuts.

My symptoms have not changed or improved in several days now. This is unusual for me. I get the occasional cold, but have always gotten over it in less than a week. I had wondered if this was RSV or some bizarre, unnamed virus that has mutated in the wild.

Normally when I get a cold, I feel achy, fatigued, just "blah". With this thing, I have only the symptoms described. There's no overall feeling of malaise. I'm tired but I can tell that's from compromised sleep.

I've been popping vitamin C, which has not seemed to help in the least. Diphenhydramine helps me sleep. Phenylephrine is utterly useless and pseudoephedrine somewhat helpful but not very much so. (I believe that using decongestants may prolong the illness anyway.) I'm going to try guaifenesin today, but I'm not optimistic.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
(female)

Katielouise HB User
Unhappy Re: Cold/Virus

I stated with a throat that felt like i swallowed chewing gum that lasted two days during the second day my throat was sore also thrn cold came out. Lasted few days including wales v england rugby and went or so i thought it came back during last friday night by sat am had headache, sore throat, cough, shivers, bright lights where making my headache worse and today my nose is like rudolph and am feeling dizzy if i stand up 😥

Old 03-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
(male)

outcast HB User

Well I gave it a few more days. On day 12 or 13 I decided it was probably bacterial and that it was time to visit an ENT. I was prescribed Cefdinir (an antibiotic) and Prednisone (a steroid). They have both seemed to help. It was the night of the very same day I had started the Cefdinir that I could tell it was clearing up. After a couple more days, my ear started clearing up as well. I was reluctant to take a steroid, but it's only an 8-day course that begins tapering off on the third day, so I figured it wouldn't hurt. I hope that info is of some use to someone.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
(female)

nannasue HB User

Hi, I've had a cold for 2 weeks now and it's the first for about 2 years. This is all in my head, really bad catargh (but no sneezing or sore throat) head feels like cotton wool, can't breath, my asthma is upset (normally under control) and I've had no voice for about 6 days now and no sign of feeling any better. I'm really tired with it too. Has anyone else had similar - how long did it last? What did you do for a remedy?

Closed Thread