It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 7
NottsRed HB User
Cold and cough for over 4 weeks

Hi All,

I've been suffering with a cold for about 4-5 weeks now, most of this time I've also had a cough. The cough seems to go for a couple of days, then returns again.

I've also been very congested during this time, with my nose almost constantly blocked, and a lot of mucus down my throat. I think its the mucus that as caused me to be quite short of breath at times - on Christmas day I was only stood up for about 30 seconds clearing up wrapping paper and I had to sit down. I do have Asthma so put it down to that and the mucus closing my throat up. However, my inhaler isn't having much affect.

When I'm coughing I am quite often bringing up a lot of rather thick phlegm (apologies for the detail). I find myself struggling sometimes to breath as I'm coughing it up.

I went to see my GP on Monday and explained all this to him. He listened to my chest, and because I also mentioned the really bad pains I was having behind my lower ribs (which I put down to a pulled muscle due to the coughing) he advised me to go to hospital and have a chest x-ray. I did this straight away on Monday, but they said the doctor won't have the results for 7-10 days. This concerns me because if it is a chest infection or something more serious should I really be waiting that long? I did try phoning today but they said try again in a couple of days.

The doctor didn't prescribe me anything, just saying take cough mixture. However I've tried this (both Bells Cough Linctus and Venos) and neither have any affect at all.

Should I be pushing the doctor for a quicker answer to what this is? Or is it right to assume if there was something showing on the x-ray that they would have got back to my GP quicker?

Is there anything anyone can suggest to try and suppress the cough, even if just at night as I'm hardly getting any sleep (neither is the wife) as the cough is almost constant. I know its not a good idea to suppress a chesty cough, but it would be nice to have a bit of time without coughing (I'm actually losing my voice at the moment because of it).

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Milford Bay, Ontario Canada
Posts: 10
ILoveCdn9 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Cold and cough for over 4 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NottsRed View Post
Hi All,

I've been suffering with a cold for about 4-5 weeks now, most of this time I've also had a cough. The cough seems to go for a couple of days, then returns again.

I've also been very congested during this time, with my nose almost constantly blocked, and a lot of mucus down my throat. I think its the mucus that as caused me to be quite short of breath at times - on Christmas day I was only stood up for about 30 seconds clearing up wrapping paper and I had to sit down. I do have Asthma so put it down to that and the mucus closing my throat up. However, my inhaler isn't having much affect.

When I'm coughing I am quite often bringing up a lot of rather thick phlegm (apologies for the detail). I find myself struggling sometimes to breath as I'm coughing it up.

I went to see my GP on Monday and explained all this to him. He listened to my chest, and because I also mentioned the really bad pains I was having behind my lower ribs (which I put down to a pulled muscle due to the coughing) he advised me to go to hospital and have a chest x-ray. I did this straight away on Monday, but they said the doctor won't have the results for 7-10 days. This concerns me because if it is a chest infection or something more serious should I really be waiting that long? I did try phoning today but they said try again in a couple of days.

The doctor didn't prescribe me anything, just saying take cough mixture. However I've tried this (both Bells Cough Linctus and Venos) and neither have any affect at all.

Should I be pushing the doctor for a quicker answer to what this is? Or is it right to assume if there was something showing on the x-ray that they would have got back to my GP quicker?

Is there anything anyone can suggest to try and suppress the cough, even if just at night as I'm hardly getting any sleep (neither is the wife) as the cough is almost constant. I know its not a good idea to suppress a chesty cough, but it would be nice to have a bit of time without coughing (I'm actually losing my voice at the moment because of it).


*** Hope you are feeling better now *** did you get the results back from the xray?
#1 - get lots of rest
#2 - go to bed early every nite - I find when i go to bed late just for 1 nite the nasty bug says "I;m still in you" and I feel sick again.
#3 - drink fluids and take extra strength pain killers

take care eh?

 
Old 01-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 7
NottsRed HB User
Re: Cold and cough for over 4 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveCdn9 View Post
*** Hope you are feeling better now *** did you get the results back from the xray?
#1 - get lots of rest
#2 - go to bed early every nite - I find when i go to bed late just for 1 nite the nasty bug says "I;m still in you" and I feel sick again.
#3 - drink fluids and take extra strength pain killers

take care eh?
Thanks for your reply.

I only just got my x-ray results yesterday, they said they came back clear.

I did however go back and get some antibiotics on Friday (Amoxicillin) because I was getting worse all the time, they seem to have started kicking in the last couple of days. Although I'm still having the occasional coughing fit that does produce quite a bit of phlegm, its not as regular as before (and is mainly when I venture out of the house).

I'm still a bit concerned about my lost voice however. As I say I'm not coughing as much, and haven't had a sore throat for several days, however I still can't speak very easily. I'm assuming its just the strain of having been coughing for so long, however I have lost my voice a number of times over the last few months, most of the time with no apparent reason (no cough, sore throat or anything), so it might be something else I need to go and see about.

Thanks again.

 
Old 01-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Sta
Posts: 1,014
gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: Cold and cough for over 4 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NottsRed View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I only just got my x-ray results yesterday, they said they came back clear.

I did however go back and get some antibiotics on Friday (Amoxicillin) because I was getting worse all the time, they seem to have started kicking in the last couple of days. Although I'm still having the occasional coughing fit that does produce quite a bit of phlegm, its not as regular as before (and is mainly when I venture out of the house).

I'm still a bit concerned about my lost voice however. As I say I'm not coughing as much, and haven't had a sore throat for several days, however I still can't speak very easily. I'm assuming its just the strain of having been coughing for so long, however I have lost my voice a number of times over the last few months, most of the time with no apparent reason (no cough, sore throat or anything), so it might be something else I need to go and see about.

Thanks again.
This is a nasty upper respiratory cold that has been going around. My kids got a sinus infection, and bronchitus from it and I had it for 2 months. It feels like your chest is so tight. I hated this cold. Got it twice. I lost my voice today because the drip is still there. My conclusion is the weather has brought on allergies.

 
Old 01-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Milford Bay, Ontario Canada
Posts: 10
ILoveCdn9 HB User
Re: Cold and cough for over 4 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
This is a nasty upper respiratory cold that has been going around. My kids got a sinus infection, and bronchitus from it and I had it for 2 months. It feels like your chest is so tight. I hated this cold. Got it twice. I lost my voice today because the drip is still there. My conclusion is the weather has brought on allergies.
hi to both you guys. here in ontario canada i have heard alot of people in georgetown ontario canada have gotten this bug where they all lose their voices - i did too

and you have a cough that brings up yellow crap (phlem) and you cough and have a soar throat for days, i keep waking up at 4am with a soar throat and my voice has not been normal for a week now.

people in georgetown ontario canada have had this for 3 weeks.
i got a throat swab yesterday - thurs - and get the results this coming monday.
i wont go on antibiotics until i know its not a virus causing it - will only go on antibiotics if its from a bacterial thing.

in the past 35 yrs i have only been on antibiotics one time - last nov 2010 for a bad bladder infection which i have never gotten in my life.

so will keep you guys posted when i hear if it was from a virus or not.

if from a virus the only thing that works is rest, rest and more rest and tons of fluids

i heard boiling water, putting it in a small bowl and breathing in the vapors helps and ricola throat lozenges help me alot and t and juices
no smoking or drinking they say.

chow for now


 
Old 01-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Sta
Posts: 1,014
gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: Cold and cough for over 4 weeks

I had to go to the doctors again today and now they put me on amoxcillian because my ears are filled with fluids. I will be on it till I feel better. I was coughing this week and I guess I got again (3rd time). How is the weather there? Our weather is wacky over here warm, cold and then warm again. This is definelty a bacteria infection. It starts as a cold and because the cold last so long it turns into an infection like sinus, or bronchitus, and ear infection.

 
Old 01-21-2012, 02:58 AM   #7
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 38
RS23BT HB User
Re: Cold and cough for over 4 weeks

I am interested in learning more about this cold, too. Usually, I can beat a cold pretty easily, but not this time. I have had this cold now for one week. Worst part about it is the congestion, and coughing up yellow phglem. I initially had a sore throat - which went away, and my voice did clear up a small bit, but that's it. I'm not one for taking a cocktail of medicines and have essentially stuck with expectorant products like Mucinex and Robitussin. I guess they are somewhat working because I am coughing up the phglem, and i drink plenty of fluids, hot tea, and take vitamin C, but I just don't seem to be any closer to ridding myself of this filthy cold and it is really starting to get me down. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

 
Old 01-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 38
RS23BT HB User
Re: Cold and cough for over 4 weeks

I wanted to give those following this thread an update. I called and spoke with my doctor this morning, who advised that his practice has seen a lot of people with a cold like this. He said that antibiotics really won't help, and that the cold needs to run its course -- which is where the catch is, because he noted that with this strain, that the symptoms were the worst part. As for the chest congestion, he said it could last anywhere from 7 to 10 days. He advised me to keep taking Mucinex, Afrin medicated spray, and said that steam helps alleviating the symptoms. He did find it encouraging that my voice had improved and amount of phglem I was coughing up was becoming less and less.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by RS23BT; 01-21-2012 at 09:25 AM.

 
Old 01-23-2012, 03:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Sta
Posts: 1,014
gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: Cold and cough for over 4 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NottsRed View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I only just got my x-ray results yesterday, they said they came back clear.

I did however go back and get some antibiotics on Friday (Amoxicillin) because I was getting worse all the time, they seem to have started kicking in the last couple of days. Although I'm still having the occasional coughing fit that does produce quite a bit of phlegm, its not as regular as before (and is mainly when I venture out of the house).

I'm still a bit concerned about my lost voice however. As I say I'm not coughing as much, and haven't had a sore throat for several days, however I still can't speak very easily. I'm assuming its just the strain of having been coughing for so long, however I have lost my voice a number of times over the last few months, most of the time with no apparent reason (no cough, sore throat or anything), so it might be something else I need to go and see about.

Thanks again.
Gosh this is so true about venturing out of the house the cough and the stuffy nose get worse. My kids will go out and play outside in the cold for just 20 minutes and then the next day get the cold again. This is my third time with it and I am on Amoxicillian till it goes away. I have fluid in my ears now. This morning I coughed up yellow mucus just once and then it was clear again. I worry because I had this since November on and off. My kids had it 4 times each attacking the sinuses, ears or chest. My dog started to get skin allergies in the middle of winter which does not happen till spring. This is so odd because the dog is now on antibiotics. I think it is the weather because oak is out now that doesn't start till spring. How are you feeling now? I AM JUST SO WORRIED I WILL GET WALKING PNEOMIA BECAUSE I HAD THIS COLD SO LONG.

 
Closed Thread




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



janewhite1 (5), JJ (4), ladybud (3), twanger (2), strensk (1), ericpolanco (1), stevie_23 (1), BrandyBobs Lady (1), ebrena (1), writeleft (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1136), MSJayhawk (941), Apollo123 (855), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (769), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (654), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:57 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!