It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
(female)

Booksilly HB User
Bad Cough and cold

I have been sick since last Saturday with a cold that started off with a cough, but the cough seems to have gotten worse and the cold has not subsided. I have used Robitussin and just recently NyQuil, but to no avail on getting rid of this bad cough that just seems to wrack my body. I have slight weezing, but I do not have asthma. I called my doctors office today and all they can suggest is going to the hospital, but I would rather not have to spend hours in an emergency room waiting to find out what might be wrong with me.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
(male)

RS23BT HB User
Re: Bad Cough and cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booksilly View Post
I have been sick since last Saturday with a cold that started off with a cough, but the cough seems to have gotten worse and the cold has not subsided. I have used Robitussin and just recently NyQuil, but to no avail on getting rid of this bad cough that just seems to wrack my body. I have slight weezing, but I do not have asthma. I called my doctors office today and all they can suggest is going to the hospital, but I would rather not have to spend hours in an emergency room waiting to find out what might be wrong with me.
There is a terrible, terrible cold going around. I had it. And, yes, I can tell you that it was accompanied by one of the worse coughs I ever remember having. Congestion in my chest was so bad, I had hardly any voice for one week. A ridiculous amount of phglem was brought up by the coughing. I found Mucinex Severe Cough & Congestion to be better than Robitussin - largely because it offers a higher concentration of the expectorant. Drink lots and lots of fluids - tea and honey w/lemon will help with the cough. Also, inhaling steam will help break up the congestion.

I empathisize with you having gone through this cold & cough. All I can say it does get better - but at a snail's pace, and gradually the coughing will subside.

Last edited by RS23BT; 01-27-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

Horrible cold and cough moving through here as well. My kids are sick and my sister. Just a terrible cold and severe stuffiness. Was told it last two weeks. Looking forward to the end of the two weeks. Drink a lot of fluids, see a walk in doc or your own doc. It is so widespread most doctors are aware of it at this point. Wish you well soon and know its whats going around. They said the milder winter is why it is so intense.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
(male)

RS23BT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by itburns2004 View Post
Just a terrible cold and severe stuffiness. Was told it last two weeks. Looking forward to the end of the two weeks.
That was pretty much my experience, about two weeks. For me, the coughing went away first, and all that I am left with now is just some lingering -- yet annoying, head congestion. Haven't had a cold this bad for as long as I can remember. Drink plenty of fluids, and I also found that inhaling warm steam helped a lot. Resting is very important to.

Good luck -

The Following User Says Thank You to RS23BT For This Useful Post:
hikingphotobug (02-09-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
(male)

Zaun HB User

Quote:
I have exactly identical situation now. I got in on Saturday too like you and have it till now. I never used to have cold with intense coughing. I haven't used medicine, but tried herbal teas all the time to relax my body. Drinking something hot and then going to rest looks usually good. Try consuming as much as water you can too. But if you have the infection down to your lungs it may need some attention I guess. I seem to have my lungs infected too but not too badly. I try to throw out mucus by coughing deliberately. Hope I'm doing the right thing lol. I feel destroyed at all since saturday and now finally I have nasal congestion too.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
(female)

hikingphotobug HB User

Whatever this "chest cold" is, it is nasty. Like others noted on this thread, mine started out with a tight chest/cough, spiked a temp and then went to a relentless, hard, productive cough, a couple days later got the runny nose and now stuffy head/plugged ears. I saw the doc right away because of the initial temp. He recommended treating it like a cold for a couple days see if it improved. It got worse-way worse. He called in an antibiotic. I've hit it lots of fluids, rest, breathing steam (carefully), mucinex, sudafed and an age old remedy of grapefruit peel tea. I talked to a friend who's significant other works in a clinic and they are seeing people cough till they throw up or pass out. It. is. not. pretty.
I'm on day 4 and just hoping it clears up soon.
If you have it, hope you feel better soon, too!

Last edited by hikingphotobug; 02-09-2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: add descriptive phrase

Old 02-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
(male)

RS23BT HB User

Definitely agree that the coughing was unreal. Never to the point that I was going to pass out -- but close to throwing up, yes.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

This is what helped me I have had this cold since November on and off and I saw the doctor multiple times. I was on z-pac but it didn't do much for me. So I started claritan allergy medicine and if you can a prescription nose spray. It dried out my nose and some of the congestion. Apparently, doctors say it is a cold but I think it is allergies because of all the weird weather we been having. The claritan stopped all the drainage going into my throat and I am to function in the day but I am tired. Sometimes my shoulder will hurt and I get a stiff neck. I had my ears throb one day. So whatever this is - it just doesn't want to leave my body.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
(female)

RJingle HB User

Quote:
I have been sick since last Saturday with a cold that started off with a cough, but the cough seems to have gotten worse and the cold has not subsided. I have used Robitussin and just recently NyQuil, but to no avail on getting rid of this bad cough that just seems to wrack my body. I have slight weezing, but I do not have asthma. I c***ed my doctors office today and *** they can suggest is going to the hospital, but I would rather not have to spend hours in an emergency room waiting to find out what might be wrong with me.
I have it also and I am on Clarithromycin. My doctor told me that is the only antibiotic that works against this.....If you do go on it, be aware of a met***ic taste that you might get while taking it. The cough is still there, but not as bad as it was. It was the worst cough I can ever remember having and coughed so hard a few times that I actu***y threw up.....

Old 03-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
(female)

Markie3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJingle View Post
I have it also and I am on Clarithromycin. My doctor told me that is the only antibiotic that works against this.....If you do go on it, be aware of a met***ic taste that you might get while taking it. The cough is still there, but not as bad as it was. It was the worst cough I can ever remember having and coughed so hard a few times that I actu***y threw up.....

Old 03-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
(female)

Markie3 HB User

I started coughing two weeks ago today (Sunday). A relentless dry cough that wouldn't go away. By Wednesday I was conjested, by Saturday I had a fever, sinus infection and ear infection. I went to an urgent care center and was put on the generic of Omnicef. This relieved the sinus pressure in my head but I've been on it for 8 days now and the coughing is still nonstop. My mucas is still green (sorry for being so graphic) an I am still very conjested. I went to my internist on Wednesday for prescription cough medicine. He gave me Promethazine with codeine for nighttime and Benzonatate for daytime. Neither of these even came close to controlling my cough. I feel like I'm at square one and 1 and my antibiotic is finished in two days. I am usally pretty healthy. The last time I was at the doctor was four years ago for a sinus infection which the antibiotic worked right away. Are any of you who have posted here finished with this cold? Can you give me any suggestions?

Old 03-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Hi Markie3,

I hope you are better. I can relate. I have had two colds back to back. One started on Feb. 25 and lasted nearly 3 weeks from start to finish and I had a few days of feeling great because I had gone to Cozumel, Mexico for spring break. Then my friend who came along caught a cold and gave it to me. We had to sleep in close quarters and travel back home by car 22 hours. It was nearly unavoidable but still I am angry. I had just suffered for so long. This second one has been almost a week now. Both of them had coughs but the second one not so bad yet. This one made me lose my voice for a week and tons of mucus in the throat. I have to drink hot water to cut through it and my throat is swollen daily. I am just so tired of suffering. A month or more gets to be so long.
Did your cold clear up? Did you have to go through different stages of the cold. They seem to have patterns before completely clearing up. I hope you are better!

Reply Reply

Tags
common cold, congestion, coughing spasms, headache pressure