It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
(male)

Tribulation HB User
How long can stomach flu last?

I've had the stomach flu for four days now but I'm still experiencing headaches and abdominal cramps. I got cramps really bad last night and ended up going to the hospital and getting fluids and some medicine injected into me via IV as I was decently dehydrated from the diarrhea I had been having problems with. The re-hydration must have helped as I felt better afterward and was able to sleep as soon as I got home. It's the first time in a couple days that I've slept for more than an hour at a time, I ended up snoozing for seven hours.

Today though I'm still getting headaches, they get pretty bad but they don't stick around like they did a few days ago, they'll just come and go. I still cramp up too, though not as bad as before they're still awfully annoying. I thought they might even be from gas but a couple of gas-x pills didn't do much for me so maybe not.

I'm just wondering if it's normal for me to still be experiencing these symptoms at this point. I've read and heard in a few places that the stomach flu typically lasts 2-3 days, but I'm on day 4. The doctor I saw last night did say that acid reflux makes it worse though, and acid reflux visited me a few years ago and decided to move in at some point.

Edit: Today is a new day. Sleeping was unsatisfactory, I was only able to get 30-60 minutes of sleep at a time before waking up and having to go to the bathroom. I don't have diarrhea any longer I think, but I often feel the need to go, especially whenever I roll over in bed. It kinda feels like my stomach is churning a lot? This may have something to do with the fact that I've had little food over the past four days, and even less solid food.

Last edited by Tribulation; 04-14-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: How long can stomach flu last?

Dear Tribulation, I hope you are feeling better. Sometimes those darn bugs can hang on longer than we think. I have been dehydrated before and had to have an IV at the hospital. Scary stuff. But it's good you went and got fluid and meds. When I had a situation like that I was quite weak for awhile. It actually took me a few weeks to recover oddly enough. Try not to panic about it and just keep the fluids coming. Stomachs are sensative and yours just might be out of whack. It will be ok. Let us know how you are.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
(male)

Tribulation HB User
Re: How long can stomach flu last?

I think I've mostly gotten over it, some things still getting situated but the worst of it is behind me at this point, I believe.

Closed Thread