It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Nasty cold and cough

well I am the lucky one to contract a nasty spring cold. This is day 6 for me. It started out with a sore throat for 2 days that felt like strep and then it turned into congestion, a headache, sheer misery stuffy head and ears and then my dreaded fear the tickle cough began on day 5 and 6. The kind that tickles and sets off a spasm in the back of your throat and upper bronchi. It gets out of control and I pull every muscle in my neck and chest and pardon me for say can even loose a little bladder control. This is insane to cough that hard. It's like I can't catch my breath. Is this typical of a cold? I have had this a couple of times in the past few years and I always dread a cold because I feel like I am going to die from the cough.

Does anyone have any remedies or suggestions? I am taking Theraflu, sucking on cough drops, drinking plenty of water etc...I just fear this and its worse late at night and just after waking up in the morning. I do have allergies but this is not from my allergies, this is a definate cold. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by TEdds83; 04-17-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: Nasty cold and cough

Wow 540 views and no comments. Nobody must have a cold right now. lol Well mine is still here and it's been two and a half weeks. Just be prepared, the colds and coughs are lasting longer these days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yup, last fall we had one go around at work that lasted 2-3 weeks, and most of us felt pretty bad almost the whole time.

Just hang in there, you know?

Old 06-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

Run do not walk to your doctor. Like you I had the "flu" for 3 weeks! One Monday morning I woke up to throwing up mucus and dry heaving so bad I thought my ribs would crack.

The stuff coming out of my nose...you don't wanna know. That sent me to the doc real fast. And yes, I had pneumonia. In fact I may still have it. I had my follow up chest xray today and haven't heard from the doc yet.

he told me I was one inch from a hospital stay. So you need to get on antibiotics for sure and just skip the thera flu and all the OTC products. Once you pass the point of no return like I did, you just might be whisting dixie.

GO TO THE DOC.

Oh I just realized you posted 3 months ago. so I guess you are ok now.
What did you do? I have been on Levaquin for 10 days and may have to do it again. yuk.

Last edited by golfhat; 06-14-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Yup, these summer colds are just as bad as winter ones, sometimes worse. If your getting the weather we have here in CT. it is like a roller coaster and noone's bodies can seem to keep up.

If the cough is really bad I would consult a Dr. as it could be pneumonia or bronchitis. Can't fool around with a long lasting cold or cough. The reason it is probably worse in the a.m. is due to post nasal drip which can drive you NUTS!!!

Hubby and I have been having the sniffles and cough on and off for weeks but so far nothing too uncomfortable. Hope everyone is feeling better, who needs this?

Best of luck and wishes....JJ.....

Closed Thread