HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Colds & Flu (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/colds-flu/)
-   -   Flu/Cold that won't go away (3 weeks) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/colds-flu/915949-flu-cold-wont-go-away-3-weeks.html)

Aquafeet 08-26-2012 04:18 PM

Flu/Cold that won't go away (3 weeks)

Hello,

I am a young male who regularly exercise. Basically, I've pretty much been sick for three weeks now. It all started with me getting a "normal" influenza - hit me out of nowhere during the day, had a fever for about 3 days, felt weak and had really sore muscles for about five days. After five days the sore muscles had all vanished, the fever was gone after 3 days but still felt a little off. Just when I thought I was getting better I ended up with a sore throat and felt that I was out of energy. This continued for another 3-4 days.

I usually exercise 5 days a week, but have been skipping the training because of my illness. I did however return 2 days after I was feeling better, which appeared to be a mistake. I actually felt a 100% all up until the training session, felt fatigued and when I woke up the day after the symptoms had returned and worsened. Just a sore throat and a strange feeling of being fatigued. I took another week off to make sure I was getting a 100% healthy, with the fatigue persisting throughout the whole week, I returned to exercise again and the exact same thing happened again. The sore throat came back and the eact same thing of being fatigued. I haven't had a runny nose and haven't been coughing at all, just this feeling when you have a cold and your throat feels thick and dry and it hurts when you swallow. After both training sessions I've also been experiencing swollen/sore lymph nodes.

I visited a doctor about this last week (after 2 weeks of being sick), he subscribed me Mucosolvan for my throat and two vitamin-medicines, Pharmaton and Sulbutiamine to take once a day for a whole month. He also said I could return to training after 3 days without any problems. Is this anything I should worry about or is it just a cold that takes its time?

I apologize for the long text.

Thanks in advance.

janewhite1 08-26-2012 04:52 PM

Re: Flu/Cold that won't go away (3 weeks)

There are some viruses going around that take a long time to go away. Last fall, I was half-dead for about two and a half weeks straight, but I finally recovered fully.

Give it another week or two, if there's no improvement, go back to the doctor.

FrankieSet 11-21-2012 05:28 AM

Re: Flu/Cold that won't go away (3 weeks)

I think fatigue will definitely play its part and the exertions on your body when you have flu means it seems like it'll never end. I used to wrap myself in all kinds of blankets, jumpers and my cheap comforter when I was ill but i'd still be cold, so Id ramp up the central heating which just congested me more. I picked up a goose down comforter which seemed to help as I was relying more on natural bodyheat rather than artificial sources. With these things, I think you have to just stay in that bed, dont get out from under that comforter, lots of fluids, all the cliches, and rest rest rest