It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
(female)

zee703 HB User
Still coughing after 3 weeks...

This respiratory infection started the first week of October. Went to the dr on 10/8; she said it was viral, something nasty going around. Returned a week later with terrible cough (almost a wheezing cough) and they checked my lungs - no pneumonia. They gave me a prescription for zithromax which I took and told me to take Mucinex which I did. Still coughing up yellow mucus and now feel very run down. Anyone else having something like this? How much longer must I suffer???

Old 11-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User
Re: Still coughing after 3 weeks...

Sounds like what I have. I haven't been to the Dr. though. Trying to wait it out. If it's something viral then antibiotics won't really help. Are you feeling any better yet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
(female)

zee703 HB User

Well...yes and no. Went back to the dr last Wednesday. She figured that the zithromax wasn't strong enough so she put me on Ceftin 500 mg 2 x a day (Ceftin was on my "can not take" list as these strong antibiotics wipe out my intestinal tract!!). I built myself up for 1.5 days by taking extra Benefibre, then started the Ceftin on Thursday night. I found out yesterday (from a neurologist) that via an MRI I'd had done last month for another issue, that I have a "cyst" in my sinus in the left cheek. So this might be causing the problem (back in the 90's I had to have sinus surgery for a mucous cyst in the right sinus). Am not a happy camper right now as I believe this means I'll have to have the cyst removed (altho' I've heard sinus surgery has improved since the mid 90's thank goodness). If you're coughing up yellow or greenish mucous, you need to get to a dr as it's no longer viral (after dealing with sinus issues for many years I keep a beady eye on the color of mucous ;>) One thing I'm going to start doing today is using a saline solution in the little mister (NeilMed Sinus Rinse). Good luck getting rid of your infection!

Old 11-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User

Yikes ! Sorry you are having so much trouble. I am coughing up greenish yellow stuff. But I'm feeling a bit better today. Since it is the weekend I will see how I am on Mon. My insurance does not cover Dr. visits or RX's or tests of any kind. So I avoid the Dr .except for yearly check ups and try to get through stuff on my own. I will go though if this hangs around much longer ..it's been about a week and a half.
Thanks !

Closed Thread