It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
(female)

lbrooke34461 HB User
Question it wont go away!

Bare with me, I am on my cell phone. I am 20 an a realitively poor colllege kid with no insurance. So, the first person to say doctors, its a little harder than you think to get one to see me wothout money up front.

On again off again I've been getting this cold accompanied by a sore throat (how it usually starts) and then I spend a week coughing and sniffling all day. At night and when I wake up I'm usually really congested. My mom tried blaming it on my ceiling fan so I stopped using it and started using a small box fan, never actually pointed directly at me. She then blamed that fan and if I had my window open. I have pollen allergies amd I take claritin once a day for it, so, it isn't that. This last time, I had the cold and sore throat (this time with a few bumps) for a few days. Today the sore throat is back and I've been having a really bad phlemy taste for the last few days. Its...like a milky white phlem and if I drool at night it stains my pillow case amd has a foul odor. I can taste it all day, most worse in the morning and night. I woke up the other night choking on phlem. I know I need to go to the docotrs but are their any suggestions until I can?

The following user gives a hug of support to lbrooke34461:
sjb (04-14-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: it wont go away!

Greetings! I wish to welcome you to the colds and flu Health boards! I am sorry about all these. The body's immune system must be weak enough to catch cold but there are some things which may help improve things. I would avoid sweets, desserts and foods containing sugar. These lower the ability of the white blood cells in the body to eat germs properly and clog the body system in various ways. I would drink lots of water every day. A glass of water in the morning two quarts during the day for a 130 pound female and one more glass of water in the evening. A half a teaspoon of salt must be had during the day including that which already in food.

Some foods which might feel a bit irritating to use temporarily but beneficial to the immune system and make a person feel better later might include the grapefruit, lemons, limes, a sour or tart orange, kiwis, raw green pepper, onions and garlic.

Bay leaf tea is antiviral and it can be made by heating water and putting 2 bay leaves in it to steep for 20 minutes then drinking it. If desired it can be used every 6 hours around the clock.

I believe the fans blow clothing lint and floor dust around the room all of which contain germs which can aggravate or cause colds. The fans also can dry out the delicate mucous membranes in the back of the throat so if used perhaps it is better if not allowed to be in the face. If the room is hot the fans can sit in a window and draw hot air out of the room by facing the fan to blow outdoors. Also the windows can be opened all night if hot and the fan can blow all night. In the morning when the first change of temperature for warmer is felt the windows can be shut to trap the cool air in the apartment. In the late afternoon and early evening a person can go outside and check to see if it is cooler indoors or outdoors and if it is cooler outside the windows can be opened again and the fan started in the window again.

A walk outside in sunshine and fresh air before ten in the morning and after two in the afternoon may also be useful. I would go to bed every evening at least two hours before midnight and sleep or rest at least 8 hours. It is said that sick people need more rest.

Peace, sjb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply