It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
(female)

gena33 HB User
Question breast reduction questions

I am a 38DD and am considering a breast reduction.

I am very worried about being put to sleep though!
I was wondering if anyone has had a BR and could please tell me their experiences with the anesthesia process?

Was the dizziness very bad after you woke up?
How long did it last for?

I just am the type of person who absolutely hates feeling dizzy or lightheaded.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Old 05-19-2005, 11:27 PM   #2
(female)

Looby HB User
Talking Re: breast reduction questions

Hi Gena!!

I had a BR in June of 2002. It was the best thing I have done for myself!!!! I was a very saggy DD. No bra fit so I am not really sure of my true size. Large breasts run in my family...on both sides!!

With going to sleep...you probably won't remember much. They put an IV in and you get sleepy. They put an oxygen mask over your mouth/nose. Sometimes they do this when you are awake, sometimes they wait till you are asleep. I was awake. I did all right.

When I was in recovery, the nurse had me get up. I got a little dizzy. I think it was because I still had anesthesia in me and not much water and no food. I also had a fever which is normal after surgery. (A low grade fever) My advice for you is after you get home, drink a lot of water to try and get the anesthesia out of your system as soon as possible. Do this for about a week or so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2005, 05:09 AM   #3
(female)

gena33 HB User
Re: breast reduction questions

Thanks so much for your reply and advice.

I too am a very saggy DD...It makes buying bras so difficult.I can't wear anything but black or else I look horrible.

I keep thinking if I lost weight some of the breast tissue would get smaller,however when I was about 30 pounds lighter ,I still was a a DD ...just a 36 instead of a 38..so it is becoming more and more apparent that I need this surgery.

May I ask what size you went down to? I am not sure if I should go to a C or B cup?

Thanks,
Gena

Old 05-20-2005, 06:47 AM   #4
(female)

MinMin24 HB User

Gena33 I would go to the C- cup. I only say this because I am thinking about having breast reduction surgery as I am a saggy F and have lost 50 lbs and lost no weight in my breast. However the plastic surgeon I talked to said that DD would be good as I don't want to much tissue takin as there will be loose skin.....so I think a small c would look the best in ur case. Hey also I had anesthesia back in December when I had a tonsillectomy. I wasn' to bad. They gave me some sleepy med and wheeled me into the surgery room....They gave me the meds through Iv 20 minuets before going into surgey so by the time I got in the room I was just about passed out so I don't remember how anything else went. After the surgery I remember waking up in Recovery a lil cold so they put a warmer on me and that was it. So you should be ok and all should go well!

Old 05-20-2005, 07:34 AM   #5

froggy123 HB User

I had a breast reduction 2 years ago when I was 15, almost 16. I wore a 36 ddd/e and was still popping out of my bra! I had absolutely no problems with the anesthesia. The only thing was that my face was a little swollen when I woke up and my throat was sore from the tube that they put in your throat for breathing. My surgery was done outpatient, but I travelled 2.5 hours to get there, so they put me in a hotel on the military base that I had it done at. I actually felt so good after the surgery that the next day I wanted to go walking around at one of hte museum things, but..it ended up being too much that I could handle and threw up. The worst problems was the trip home three days after the surgery, the bumping in the car hurt!!! My doctor actually took me down to a full b cup after surgery because he was still expecting my breasts to grow more. And, he was right, they did. Two years later I'm a full d cup and I think its perfect for me! and I think I finally stopped growing! I would ask your surgeon what size he would suggest taking you down to, typically they try to make you as porportioned as possible with your body figure so for some people it could be a b, for some it would be a c. So I'd ask the surgeon what he thinks and discuss it all with him or her.

I have to say that this reduction was fantastic, I'm so happy that I did it and didn't wait. Good luck with everything, and keep us updated on how everything goes

Old 05-20-2005, 08:38 AM   #6
(female)

gena33 HB User

Thanks for sharing your experience..

I have always been self concience(sp?) about my breasts and would love to be a B cup,but somehow I think with my body type I will need to be a C.

I am glad your surgery worked out for you and you arehappy with the results!

Old 05-20-2005, 10:12 AM   #7
(female)

Justmarried0620 HB User

Gena33,

I had my BR done three years ago, on my 22nd birthday. I was also a DD and went down to a small C. Just like you I hate the sensation of being disoriented or dizzy, to the point of having panic attacks. My surgery went great. I woke up in the recovery room feeling drowsy like most do. I think because of how I feel about being dizzy I became really alert very quickly. Once I realized what was going on I was fine and the drugs seem to wear off fast.

I was in very little pain and needed no pain meds other than Tylenol. My experience was great I was even able to breastfeed when our daughter was born last year.

I have never met anyone thus far that has regretted having a breast reduction.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-20-2005, 04:21 PM   #8
(female)

gena33 HB User

Thanks so much for your reply.I get panic attacks too and that was another worry that I had,that I would be so worked up from worry that I would trigger an attack.

It helps alot to know that someone in a similar situation went through it and was fine!

Gena

Old 05-20-2005, 10:57 PM   #9
(female)

Looby HB User

I am now a 'B' cup. I'm almost 5 ft 5 ins. and 150lbs., so I think a C cup would look better, however, I am happy with my size. I was sick of breasts everywhere!! UGH I was in agony!!!!

Last edited by Looby; 05-20-2005 at 10:58 PM.

Old 05-20-2005, 11:01 PM   #10
(female)

Looby HB User
Angry Re: breast reduction questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy123
I had a breast reduction 2 years ago when I was 15, almost 16.
Oh, you are soooo lucky!!! I had mine done when I was a month away from my 26th birthday. I wish I would have had it done before I started college. Maybe have it done in June when I was 17, turn 18 in July and start college in Aug. If only I had known then what I know now.

Old 05-21-2005, 11:37 AM   #11

froggy123 HB User

Looby, that's actually what my surgeon wanted to do, wait until I was almost 18, my birthday is in July too. I just didn't want to wait that long. The surgeon was concerned about my maturity, and how it would impact me, and how I would percieve myself in "intimate situations" and that kind of stuff. But he did do it after trying to scare me out of it, but in the end he left it up to me. He was very happy with the results and even commented during one of hte post op appts that I do seem much happier after the surgery, so even he could see the difference it made, so I think he was relieved that the right decision was made.

I'm actually kind of nervous about college, like with sharing a room (which I've never done) and common bathrooms and stuff, like if someone notices I don't want it to be a huge deal, you know? I don't think it will be, but it's crossed my mind once or twice.

Old 05-21-2005, 11:17 PM   #12
(female)

Looby HB User

I was embarrassed to discuss the surgery with my parents when I was younger, actually I was afraid to bring it up as I as afraid. I wish I would have known how to communicate better with them.
When I got a little older, I had enough and made 2 appts. with plastic surgeons and had consults. I wanted this surgery so bad, I wasn't even nervous! Nothing was going to stop me from having this done! When I told my parents that I was having the surgery done, my mom said "Oh, you don't need that." LOL It's not a new pair of shoes!! She's a little bigger than me and she doesn't have pain or bra strap marks. I don't understand that! My dad's reaction was "You don't want to go through all of that pain, do you?" I was in pain for many, many years because of my DDs. I can't imagine any surgery being even more painful!! And I wasn't in much pain at all post-op. (Just my upper arms for about four days)
I live an hour away from where I grew up/went to high school. I got teased/harassed a lot because of my breast size. I wish some of those people could see me now. LOL!! (But I really don't care to see any of them...yuck)

Old 05-26-2005, 08:49 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

Hi... I had a Breast Reduction back in March....I was a 40DD.. and it was the best thing I ever did... I would do it all again if I had to..... I can honestly say, I did not have any problem with being dizzy after anestesia.....They put me to sleep, and when I woke up in recovery, I woke right up.... I was in my room within about 30 min of going to recovery.... only problem I had was I got a really bad headache, but they told me that was due to the fact I am on narcotic medication for lower back problems... and my plastic surgeon had me stop the narcotics for like 4 days and my headache went away... and I was fine.... I didnt even have that much pain after the surgery.... But I can tell you this... it was all worth it..... I am 38 years old, and have had breasts galore as far back as in the 6th grade... it was a dream come true to have the reduction... I am now a 38C and have lost 30 lbs since my surgery....I would suggest it to anyone....

Take Care and Good Luck

TRose

Old 05-27-2005, 08:15 AM   #14
(female)

gena33 HB User

Thanks so much for telling me about your experience.

I was wondering how long your surgery was?
I was reading about how the longer a person is in surgery the risks associated with general anesthsia increase.

I also had atrial fibrillation a few years ago after passing out from getting up too fast in the middle of the night,so I was concerned that being put to sleep might increase my risk of having a fib again...

Thanks again,
Gena

Old 05-29-2005, 05:47 PM   #15

froggy123 HB User

I could be wrong, but I think my surgery lasted 2.5 hours.

I have no clue about the fibrillation. That would definately be something to bring up to the surgeon and anesthesiologist.

Closed Thread