It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2000, 02:07 PM   #1

JUJU HB User
Post Laser/Dermabrasion? Derm/Dr.?

Hi:
I was a suffering from cystic ance for 4 years and am ending up w/ a scared face. I feel very very depress and asking, God! what did i do to deserve this? (But I should thank god for my good health tho...)
OK, back to my topic, did anyone done any treatment for acne scar? I wanted to know what is the result and how to choose a Dr.
Also, will the new N-lite laser(sounld very no** risk w/ no down time) help? ]

Best Wishes
JUJU

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 01-10-2001).]

Old 12-31-2000, 12:51 AM   #2

ryan HB User
i wouldn't do dermabrasion. laser sounds like your best option. chemical peels though, with the newer tca peels they have out, might work also. depends on the severity of your scarring though. you haven't seen a plastic surgeon yet, have you? you should do that. in fact, see 2 or 3 to get different opinions. you haven't taken accutane lately, have you?

anyhow, for deeper scarring, i'm not sure how well the nlite will work. i don't think many surgeons are even using it for scarring, though it's been indicated for use to treat some scarring, so, i'm not even sure if it will work or not. i think i'm having it done here in about a month, so, we'll see.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2000, 01:29 AM   #3

JUJU HB User
Hi ryan:
i had met one Derm. Dr. and one P.S..They both recommanded Dermabrasion w/ Chemical peel for me. Maybe it is a reason of my Asian Skin type of having highier risk for side effect...I dunno, it is what I am still researching for right now.
N-Lite laser sound so much like micro-derm. to me. Which micro-derm doesn't work for me but w/ futher break outs.
Hum...God, can any one please help us??
99% of Drs don't wanna show you the bad side of the sugery, trust me!(but my Derm Dr. showed me some pics of hyperpigmentation...hum...he is interesting)

JUJU

Old 12-31-2000, 11:27 AM   #4

ryan HB User
i see. you may want to see more than one plastic surgeon though to get a wider variety of opinions. i wouldn't suggest seeing a dermatologist about such surgery, nor would i recommend actually allowing them to perform the surgery. you're much better off with a plastic surgeon in most cases.

with dermabrasion though, you may end up with more scarring. that's often what happens. it isn't as controlled as lasers are. it may even produce some dispigmentation. i understand about the lasers though. actually, i just saw a girl who had full face co2 done, and she was pretty dark. it lightened her face a bit, but you couldn't really tell. the color was still uniform. with the erbium laser, there's even less of a chance for hypo/hyperpigmention. so, you may want to look into it anyway if it's worth it to you.

chemical peels i think usually fare much better. all except phenol. phenol is too drastic. the newer tca peels they have out now shouldn't be a problem for you though. make sure you get an accupeel tca peel if you get one. they're the newest and best type of tca out, i velieve. much better than the old peels. they have them in 11% and 16% varieties. the 11% is equivalent to about a 25-30% regular (older) tca peel while the 16% is equivalent to about a 40-45% peel.

i'm unsure about the nlite though. i think i'm going to have it done soon anyway and see how it works. my problems aren't too bad. so maybe it'll work some. microdermabrasion has done fairly well, though, my treatments have been kind of aggressive. if they aren't, then microdermabrasion is really pointless. so, we'll see.

Old 12-31-2000, 05:37 PM   #5

JUJU HB User
Hi Ryan:
Can you give me more info about yr friend who had laser done? Thank you for your input and hope we can keep in touch for more info!

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 09-29-2002).]

Old 12-31-2000, 11:59 PM   #6

ryan HB User
oh, she wasn't my friend. just someone i saw in the office going out as i was coming in. i didn't even know she'd had it done until the person who does microdermabrasion on me mentioned it when i brought up something about lasers. i didn't even think co2 would've been an option for someone that dark, but, i guess so.

aside from that, i couldn't really tell you anything. i think a lot of it though has to do with the skill of the surgeon involved.

Old 01-01-2001, 10:31 AM   #7

JUJU HB User
That is excatly right...Darker skin should be riskier..but do you still remember what her nationality is?
I have just met a net pal who had laser done for scars and she've claimed the successful result of it. I added her in my AOL IM list!! I will keep you inform after I chat w/ her!

Happy 01
JUJU

[This message has been edited by JUJU (edited 01-01-2001).]

Old 01-01-2001, 07:20 PM   #8

JUJU HB User
For those who r suffering w/ acne scars:

I'd met a very good net pal who had full face laser done and it helps to eliminate the scars almost 100%(luckly, he doesn't get very deep scars)...He is now 7 days post opt., I will keep you guys inform if there is a listener!

JUJU

Old 01-08-2001, 09:20 PM   #9

JUJU HB User
14 days post opt. update!
Still red like having very bad sun burn but acceptable for public.

JUJU

Old 01-09-2001, 01:17 AM   #10

Dave805 HB User
Thumbs up

thanks for the update, I thinking of doing this too, I already am having microdermabrasions done for mild scarring on one cheek. Im asain also, tanned, the scarring isnt horrible, but it is still a stigma to me. It isnt post infalmatory marks, but scars, slight indents, and 3 small pin holes, the holes i can live with. Im going for a consultation for resurfacing on saturday and keep you guys updated

Old 01-09-2001, 11:44 PM   #11

JUJU HB User
I have done a lot of researh and stuff about microdermabrasion. I also had experiences w/ it. The result is ZERO even on the superfical scars after 3 section but a great number of break outs.

Trust me on this! If you still have break out, don't even think about it!!

JUJU

Old 01-10-2001, 03:30 PM   #12

ryan HB User
juju, where did you have the microdermabrasion done at? it's also supposed to take more treatments than that for you to see results, normally. you kinda have to give it time. and that's odd that you broke out because it's supposed to alleviate that. some people actually use it as a treatment for their acne. maybe the machine they used wasn't strong enough, and the treatments not aggressive.

Old 01-10-2001, 09:13 PM   #13

JUJU HB User
Hi!
I had done it 3 times, evey time I did it, my face was clear! Maybe it is just me who will break out after the treatment...!
JUJU

Old 01-10-2001, 09:23 PM   #14

JUJU HB User
Also, my friend said he still have some uneven on the skin along w/ the redness. Some say the uneveness will eventually heal over time. So, we'll see!!

JUJU

Old 01-17-2001, 12:05 AM   #15

Dave805 HB User
I went to the ps a couple of days ago was told that they could reduce my acne scars, they described them as mild, the thing that amazed me was that he said he would use the CO2 laser on me, and Im Korean and dark skinned, well not that dark but tanned. He started me on the hydroquiono or whatever bleaching cream, its 8 percent. I was a skeptic until i saw his before and after pictures. They were all chinese korean black hispanic etc..... I live in San Francisco. Anyways I gonna do it, I deposited $1000 dollars already and Im sched. on Feb 16th. Oh man this is crazy that Im spending so much cash, I already spent a $1000 on microdermabrasions and now its another $3500; I should of just saved the money and bought a motorcycle =). ill keep you guys updated though.

DAVE

Closed Thread