It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2001, 07:53 AM   #1

SaraN7790 HB User
Post What does a tummy tuck entail?

I've been told that do get rid of the stretch marks on my belly, I would have to get a full on tummy tuck. What exactly do they do there? And how many times can you get this done? I've heard some women brag they've had one after every child they have. Wouldn't this skin eventually give out?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2001, 01:22 PM   #2
(female)

Dawn HB User
Hi, first let me say that a tummy tuck is MAJOR surgery. It can be a great help for many people, but it's very painful and healing takes months. I can't imagine anyone actually having it after each pregnancy!
Basically, the process involves cutting open your lower abdomen, starting at one hip, down across the pelvic area, and back up to the other hip. The incision and scar resembles a C-section scar, only longer...usually 20 inches or more. They lift up the extra skin (often a "flap" of skin that stretched out during pregnancy or after losing a lot of weight), and tighten any muscles that have stretched or torn due to pregnancy. They also tighten upper ab muscles if needed, and then cut off the excess skin and sew the sides of remaining skin back together. Usually, the belly button also gets cut out with the skin, so they have to "make" you a new one.
Yes, many times the stretch marks will be mostly, or entirely gone, since the skin that they were on has been cut away, but as I said, it's major surgery. If stretch marks are your main concern, I really don't think this surgery's for you. I think if it were me, I'd consider a consultation with a PS who can advise you as to whether laser, or other cosmetic options, are available. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2001, 12:25 PM   #3

TTJulie HB User
Smile

I agree with Dawn. A tummy tuck is MAJOR surgery. I just had one in March, and I'm finally feeling back to normal. It's taken me about a month to not have pain. Yes, I have a wonderfully flat stomach now, but I most certainly wouldn't recommend this just to correct stretch marks. If you have an apron of skin hanging down after pregnancies, weight loss, etc.. then maybe a tummy tuck is for you. Also...after this surgery you will have a rather long scar across your abdomen. Which is is worse, stretch marks or a scar? Talk to someone before you jump into this surgery! Good luck! Julie

Old 04-26-2001, 04:09 PM   #4

SaraN7790 HB User
I went from being 140 right before pregnancy to 227 by the time I delivered. Because of how badly my skin stretched (I don't have the little spider vein looking stretch marks, I have craters that extend beyond my belly button) I also have these size marks in my inner thigh next to my pelvis, plus I have the small stretch marks that extend all the way down my inner thighs and on the backs of my calves. I have been gradually losing the weight, but still have not lost that apron. Mine is fairly small comparitivly, but because of how badly my abdomen stretched, I am not sure that that skin will firm back up. I used to have fairly nice legs, but I refuse to wear shorts in public because of the marks (also ruling out swimsuits) and, I can see the fold of skin through my jeans. I am not sure if I want a tummy tuck after hearing you all describe it, is there anything that can be done about the marks on my legs? Any advice would be helpful.

Old 04-26-2001, 09:48 PM   #5

TTJulie HB User
I would make an appointment with at least 3 different cosmetic surgeons in your area. I did, and at each office visit they looked at my stomach, asked what I wanted to accomplish, and realistically told me what to expect from different procedures. To me, this was the best way to really get my questions answered about MY body and MY individual problems. Just my advice! Julie

Old 04-30-2001, 09:19 PM   #6

bluejay164 HB User
Thumbs up

I just had a full tummy tuck in March too. It was a more dramatic procedure than I thought it wouold be. I am 8 weeks post op and I am still swollen, not oo bad but when I move around more often I swell even more, This however is to be expected. I had horrible stretch marks too in addition to way too much skin and fat left on my stomach from 4 children. If I had the stratch marks alone, I would of still done it. I think it was well worth all the pain. if you have a lot of stretch marks then chances are you have excess skin too. Your procedure would probably be less painful than ones like mine.But it would be wise to go see a PS and find out what would all be involved with your procedure. Most of tehm offer a free consult anyway so what can you lose?

Old 05-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #7
(female)

stace4 HB User
Re: What does a tummy tuck entail?

Hi, I had a tummy tuck a year ago. It is MAJOR surgery. It hurt soooooooo bad for a bout a week, and then some. Iam an avid excerciser so I think I may have healed alittle quicker than alot of people, but boy did it hurt. The post from Dawn is right on. Iam however so glad I had it done. I didnt have any stretch marks, but wanted it becouse my jeans were to tight in the waist and baggy everwhere else. It is a very ugly scar and is fadeing nicely, however it will never totally be gone. My jeans fit great now and Iam more confident and appear to be slimmer looking. Rember do this only for yourself. And make sure you are doing it for the right reasons! I cant stress enough how painfull it was the first couple of day's, you would be surprised that you use your stomach muscles in everything you do. I feel it was worth it though. Stcey

Closed Thread