It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2003, 01:35 PM   #1

WinterBunny HB User
Post Rhinoplasty For African-American

Hi, I'm an African-American female seeking Primary Rhinoplasty to correct the small hook at the time of my nose as well as narrowing the width some what.

Needless to say, there's soo many doctors to choose from and I'm in the process of scheduling consultations with many of the surgeons, however, the consultations cost money and I have well over 20 doctors listed. It would be greatly appreciated for those who've had rhinoplasty performed, especially those of African-American decent to give your views.

Thank you.

Dennis Barek
Geoffrey Tobias
Jon Turk
Steven Pearlman
Minas Constantinides
Philip Miller
Stephen Greenburg
Mark Erlick
Arthur Millman
Michael Jones
Howard Bellin
Kenneth Francis
Robert Tornambe
Dr. Pastorek
Craig Foster
Dr. Tabbal
Dr. Antell
Dr. Aston
Alan Matarasso
Kenneth Francis
Brad Jacobs
Dean Toriumi
Dr. Deneberg
Dr. Gunter
Dr. Freund
Thomas Loeb
Laurence Kirwan
Daniel Becker
Frederick Corbin
Michael Bermant
Paul Nassif
Dr. Ellenbogen
Dr. Kemsley
Dr. Karpinski
Dr. Zevon
Dr. Woodsmith
Bruce Daniels
Jonothan Sykes
Lasky Kamer
Anthony Sokol

Did I list nearly every SURGEON lol.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2003, 12:47 PM   #2

NYNAN HB User
Do not go to Dr. Bellin. He was awlful. I had surgery back in 1991. I didn't take the anesthesia, but instead receive a cocktail. I felt and saw Dr. Bellin "chiseling on my nose". What horrific pain I experienced. Dr. Bellin and his assistant keep telling tme to "shut up" or they were going to stop the procedure. I couldn't stop crying from the pain, so they stopped. Beware of him.
I have since gotten a revison done by Dr. Robert M.Linder - 5th ave., NYC. Dr. Linder is outstanding. He gave me a natural and proportioned african american nose. Unfortunately, I don't know where he is now. I think he was going through a bitter divorce and stopped practicing in NYC. If you can find him, use him. I can't say enough. If you do find him post, his info on the board. He's the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2003, 10:19 AM   #3

WinterBunny HB User
OMG. When I visited with Dr. Bellin, I had somewhat of a bad feeling. He insisted without any form of XRay that I had a deviated septum and that my insurance company would pay for the surgery in full. He also insisted on being the best rhinoplastic surgeon on the east coast and when he told me about the local anesthesia and the cocktail, I did not like the idea at all.

Thus far, from all of my consultations....I've meet with so far, Dr. Barek, Dr.Bellin, Dr. David Antell and Dr. Thomas Romo. Tomorrow, I meet with Dr. Jon Turk....

Dr. Barek wanted to put in implant in my nose, Dr. Bellin, self explanatory as you explained, Dr. Antell gave a comestic looking nose....Only Romo I've been satisfied with thus far. I will check out ur Dr. Do you have any b&a's?

So far, I've narrowed my search down to Dr. Romo. He has excellent credentials...and I've seen that he's worked with/published books with Toriumi and some of the other top surgeons in the country.

Thanks for the advice regarding Dr. Bellin....Few....

Old 02-28-2003, 09:04 PM   #4

nycgrl77 HB User
Who else have you seen? Have you seen Tabbal or Constantinides?
Has anyone heard anything about Dr. Bryan Forley?

Old 03-08-2003, 07:25 AM   #5

hannah2 HB User
I must say that I am an african american female myself seeking cosmetic surgery. I have been looking on and off for the past year. But I have been researching all of the cosmetic surgeons on the internet. Based on my consultation, research and his before and after pictures, I think that Dr. Mark Erlick is great. He's nice and his before and after pictures are absolutely fabulous. Very dramatic. And his consultation is FREE. Go and see Dr. Mark Erlick. As for Dr. Constantine, I haven't seen him yet but I can only comment on his response to my email. He told me the price he charges and on his website he seems like he has good credentials. But in my opinion, in order to find a good cosmetic surgeon, first you must feel comfortable with him, second he should be board certified, third, the price should be affordable for you, and fourth which in my opinion I believe to be one of the most important is THE SURGEONS BEFORE AND AFTER PICTURES SHOULD BE EITHER DRAMATIC OR YOU SHOULD SEE A SURPRISING DIFFERENCE. If not, say bye, bye. That's why I said to give Dr. Mark Erlick a try because his before and after pictures is very dramatic. But his price is a little bit steep. But sometimes it's worth it.

Old 03-08-2003, 07:29 AM   #6

hannah2 HB User
This message is especially for winterbunny. Being that you are a black woman and I am a black woman both seeking plastic surgery, IF YOU DON'T MIND, can you email me your email or can we stay in touch? Because I believe we can help each other. Because if you find a good plastic surgeon who performed a great job on a black woman such as yourself, then more than likely, he would do that with me. So my email address is [removed].com. Please email me and let us stay in touch with each other. Thanks alot

[Please read and follow the board posting guidelines
as you agreed to do when you registered for Healthboards.
Do not post your email address on the message boards.]

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 03-08-2003).]

Old 04-15-2003, 10:12 PM   #7

MsDavis HB User
Smile

I am of African decent and I had my surgery done by Dr Bellin today, he was very comforting and tolerant. I kept asking questions and he kept answering them. His nurse was caring and attentive. And I would recommend him to anyone. They did not rush me through anything and I feel confident that my nose will look great.

Old 04-17-2003, 10:57 AM   #8

chichi27 HB User
Has anyone had surgery with Dr. Barek in new york? Im having surgery with him next month.

Thanks

------------------
chichi

Old 04-18-2003, 01:55 PM   #9
Inactive

diva2003 HB User
Question

Where is Dr. Bellin located? I'm currently looking for a good surgeon.

Diva

Old 04-22-2003, 07:37 PM   #10

ArJay HB User
I am an African-American male and I am looking for a great (if not the best) plastic surgeon who specializes in African-American Rhinoplasty. Perferebly located in the Los Angeles area.

If anyone has any suggestions and/or recommendations please post them.

Thanks

Old 04-27-2003, 09:51 PM   #11

MsDavis HB User
I had been looking for a doctor for my rhynoplasty for three years, and although there are probably great doctors out there, I am a basket case when it comes to the way I look. All the other doctors wanted to do an implant because I had a FAT, flat nose(and I went to ALOT of doctors) but Dr. Bellin knew that that would not be right for me. I think apart from just making sure that I did'nt scar badly or have a crooked nose, he made it look natural. I had my surgery done on April 15 and I look great. I am a black woman and everyone protested about me getting surgery, I felt I needed it. I live with my aunt and hid from her for ten days in my room after the surgery. When she sees me she knows that something is different, because she keeps looking at me and telling me that I made up my face really nice and that I look so pretty. I am happy that I chose him, because although it takes 6 months to a year to heal, I really don't think that I will need to go back under the knife to correct anything.

Old 04-27-2003, 09:55 PM   #12

MsDavis HB User
Diva

Dr. Bellin is in Manhattan, New York.

Old 04-29-2003, 02:38 PM   #13

Nancy27 HB User
I am African Amercian looking for a good plastic surgeon as well. So far, I had consultations with Dr. Romo as well as Dr. Alan Matarasso.

I must be completely honest. Dr. Matarasso was a joke. He refered me to another doctor in Dallas and he did not come across as having alot of experience with African American noses. He was too wishy washy for me as well as too expensive.

Dr. Romo was good but his before and after pictures in his article were not too convincing. He seems to be quite knowledgable about the african american nose and has taken the extra step unlike other surgeons to do a lot of research on ethnic noses. He also published articles specifically about the ethnic nose ( wide and too flat).I am waiting to hear from a couple of his patients that are willing to talk to me about there surgery.
Is there any other doctors you can recommend? I've been wanting to get this done for about 11 years now and I want the best. Please give more feed back.

Old 04-30-2003, 05:46 PM   #14

Nancy27 HB User
I went to see Dr. Mark Erlich and I must say I was extremely impressed. His pictures were the best I have seen yet. I am really considering going to him for my surgery.
Has anyone had work done by him?

[This message has been edited by Nancy27 (edited 04-30-2003).]

Old 05-13-2003, 08:31 PM   #15
Inactive

lisadrum HB User
Question

Hi, how did your surgery go? how recent did you have it done, and how long did it take you to see your results? I am happy to know someone who is satisfied with Dr. Bellin, after reading so many posts about him that were negative. I will be having surgery on may 20th, rhinoplasty/septoplasty,and it will be performed by dr. bellin. My consultation with him was very positive, and i look forward to it. Can you offer any advice, or exchange photos with me? L
Quote:
Originally posted by MsDavis:
I am of African decent and I had my surgery done by Dr Bellin today, he was very comforting and tolerant. I kept asking questions and he kept answering them. His nurse was caring and attentive. And I would recommend him to anyone. They did not rush me through anything and I feel confident that my nose will look great.

------------------
I have been blessed by the divine, life's ribbons, i gratefully untie..

Closed Thread