It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2003, 06:52 PM   #1
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
Post IPL Swelling

I just had my first IPL treatment today and my face is swollen under my eyes and a couple other places. Will this go down soon? I'm worried that it's permanent.

Old 08-16-2003, 08:02 PM   #2

Summer Girl HB User
What did your doctor tell you?
Since you just had it done today then you shouldn't be worried. Like with any treatment, your going to have some after effect until you heal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2003, 09:34 PM   #3
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
My doctor said I would probably peel and be red for a few days. She didn't mention swelling and when I left, I wasn't swelling yet. I think it might be starting to go down though (I hope).

Old 08-18-2003, 08:17 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

smartgal HB User
Yes. Even though they advertise it as a treatment where you can go straight back to work, one treatment I had caused my face to swell so bad that my eyes were almost swollen shut (I did actually complain about it and got a free treatment, not because it was a bad treatment, but because they did not advertise it that way). The treatment actually ended up being the most effective. I've found it takes about three weeks to heal totally and have your skin look great. Just in time for your next treatment! I've had five and my brown spots are gone and my skin is definately firmer.

Old 08-18-2003, 08:17 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

smartgal HB User
Yes. Even though they advertise it as a treatment where you can go straight back to work, one treatment I had caused my face to swell so bad that my eyes were almost swollen shut (I did actually complain about it and got a free treatment, not because it was a bad treatment, but because they did not advertise it that way). The treatment actually ended up being the most effective. I've found it takes about three weeks to heal totally and have your skin look great. Just in time for your next treatment! I've had five and my brown spots are gone and my skin is definately firmer.

Old 08-19-2003, 12:27 PM   #6
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
Oooh okay great! I don't mind being puffy as long as it eventually goes down (although it has improved greatly and is pretty much unnoticeable). I am considering doing IPL with RF next time, to get more of the wrinkles. Was the IPL alone good enough to combat them for you or could you have done with something more aggressive?

Old 08-19-2003, 01:51 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

smartgal HB User
It's not a huge change, but I was having the less deep treatment for spider veins and brown spots, so it wasn't really aimed at the wrinkles so much. My skin is very firm now, even so. I think the one to increase collagen is the 640? It also takes awhile to see results as the goal is to irritate the collagen layer and force your body in to making more (much like the thermacool, but not as extreme). I think it would depend on how many/deep your wrinkles are. I'm 44 and just starting to get a little less firm, so I think it worked well for me. I'd still be curious about that thermacool if I had know about it before paying for the IPL, but I think it's only for firmness not for brown spots.

Old 08-25-2003, 08:51 AM   #8
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
Update- It has been over a week and although it has gone down, one rather large section under my eye (I'd say an area of about 1 square inch) is still raised and not showing signs of getting better. I am happy with the results of my IPL other than that, although it is a slight improvement, I believe with a few treatments I could really see some results. The puffiness bothers me though, and although it is not too bad and I can live with it, I would hate for this to happen again or make things worse if I get another treatment.

Does anyone know of methods to fix this problem? I have a feeling I'm stuck like this.

Old 08-25-2003, 09:18 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

smartgal HB User
I used Arnica (sp?) gel and cortisone cream to get the swelling down. Remember to use sunscreen too!

Old 08-27-2003, 12:34 AM   #10
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
Hm, alright I have some hydrocortisone, would that work? And I always wear SPF 45, a wide brimmed hat and sunglasses

Old 08-27-2003, 10:59 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

smartgal HB User
That will help reduce the swelling. You don't want to use it for too long as it thins the skin. I have to tell you, I've had five treatments and my skin looks really good now. I'm sure it will work out well for you.

Closed Thread