It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 06:40 AM   #1
(female)

Peepers HB User
Facial numbness after surgery... will this be permanent?

On Friday, April 21, I had surgery which involved moving a chin implant that had slipped out of place. When I originally got the implant last year, I had no problems after the surgery. The swelling went down, bruising went away, and everything was back to normal. However...

This time, the swelling is nearly gone & the bruising is completely gone... but the left half of my chin & lower lip are numb. I'm concerned that there is some nerve damage - the dr had to use a chisel to clear away new bone that had grown around the implant. I'm sure there's a possibility of this numbness being permanent... but can someone please tell me if there's still a chance that it might go away? Maybe it's just happening slowly? Has anyone else gone through this?

I need to know if there's any hope for me getting the feeling back, or if this is undoubtedly permanent. That is going to be such a bummer if it is... my smile is crooked, I keep accidentally biting the inside of my lip, and I constantly feel like I just left the dentist's office. Sigh. Please let me know if you think there's any hope. I also posted this on the neuopathy board, so hopefully I'll get some answers (and hope) somewhere. Thanks a million!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 01:29 AM   #2
(male)

Laker_cowboy17 HB User
Re: Facial numbness after surgery... will this be permanent?

i had nose surgery and underneth my nose is was numb. its completly normal and it should go away 6 months after the surgery. My went away around that time so you should nothing to worry about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

it depends on the type of nerve damage and the person. I would say that it almost certainly will come back, it will just take time. I had foot surgery years ago, and I couldn't feel or move my little toe afterwards.. it took almost a year, but it fully healed and now I can move my toe and I have no permanent damage.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:35 PM   #4
(female)

Peepers HB User

Thank you both for your input. It's now 1 1/2 weeks since the surgery, and still no feeling - but I talked to the dr about it last week. He wants to give it a bit more time to see if it will take care of itself, but if not, he did say that it shouldn't be a problem to fix it. The nerve doesn't seem to have been severed, because there are a couple of points on my jaw & cheek that when I touch them, I can feel a tingle in my lip. So that's good. The dr thinks the implant is pressing on the nerve, and it may have to be adjusted a bit. I hope he's right! Thanks again for your responses!

Closed Thread