It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User
Obagi Blue Peel Anyone??

HI
I am thinking of trying the OBAGI skin care line for wrinkles and sun damage. Has anyone had a Obagi Blue peel done? What was the pain like? Did you get put under or are they not painful? what was the recovery time? Is it done once or every month??

Thanks for the info!

Old 07-27-2006, 11:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

johnsmith007 HB User
Re: Obagi Blue Peel Anyone??

Hi,
The Obagi Blue peel is a TCA peel, which as far as strength, is in the middle. There are weaker peels, such as Glycolic and Salicylic, and stronger ones, like Phenol peels. The TCA peels are a good way to go for treating wrinkles since the weaker peels donít do much and the stronger peels are a little scary (months of recovery time and scary possible side effects).
For some of your questions:
What was the pain like Ė not bad at all, the actual TCA chemical acts like a local anesthetic, but you do feel tingling (like your face is really itchy), but it only last 30 seconds or so.
Did you get put under or are they not painful Ė again, since the TCA chemical acts like an anesthetic, there is no need to be put under.
What was the recovery time Ė your face will be red, and little blue because the chemical is blue, right after the peel. Over the next week, your skin will start to peel. You should be back to normal after 7 to 10 days, 14 at the most.
Is it done once or every month Ė they donít suggest doing TCA peels any closer together than every 6 months.

If you are considering doing it, the pain should not be a factor (since it is very minor). You should look more at the price and the down time.

I would like to suggest something else that I feel is much better for wrinkles. Itís not everywhere, but itís called the Fraxel Laser. It has less down time and it shows better results than a TCA peel (in my opinion). Itís fairly new (a few years), but itís getting incredible reviews from a lot of people. It seems to be the next big thing in treating wrinkles (because of the short down time and good results). I would also look into that.

Hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
(female)

casellp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionqueen
HI
I am thinking of trying the OBAGI skin care line for wrinkles and sun damage. Has anyone had a Obagi Blue peel done? What was the pain like? Did you get put under or are they not painful? what was the recovery time? Is it done once or every month??

Thanks for the info!

Hello,

I had a blue peel done - it goes from 1-4 layers, the more layers, the deeper the peel. I had 4 layers, and it is VERY painful. Some docs use numbing cream and/or valium/advil 1 hour before the procedure. I did not do this.

I looked like a burn victim for 5 days, and my skin looked great starting at 10 days post peel. You can do up to three peels, spaced 4, 6 or 8 weeks apart depending on your doc, and how long you have visible peeling. Hope this helps.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

fusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB Userfusionqueen HB User

Thanks for the info......I went to a Plastic surgeon today...........he sells the Obagi NuDerm and I started it tonight. He does not do the Blue peels anymore as they felt it took to long 3-5 days for the blue to go away. Thye do alot of other procedures though. I had Botox for the first time. I was scared to death...........I have one good sized bruise by my right eye. He was not even supposed to do my eyes.......just my "11" marks.......I will be interested to see what the next few days bring........and I sure hope it is not a droopy eye!

Old 09-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
(female)

luvmakeup1000 HB User

Honestly, after lots and lots of research, I've found that most dermatologist get a kickback for selling obagi products and the peel. I've also found out that the actual blue dye has no acid in it, it's just a coloring agent to let them know when it's done. Actually, the green/blue agent slows down the peel and also makes it not as strong as doing a regular TCA peel, since it's not as strong they like for you to prep your skin by buying the Nuderm products (which makes them and the obagi people more money). Just do a TCA peel, there is no needed prep for this and is cheaper because it's like buying something that doesn't have a brand name attached to it but works even better. I am scheduled to have one done next month. I've done all kinds of things regarding skin. Oh the guy that said to do Fraxel, that is good but the cost is a HUGE difference. Good luck.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:44 AM   #6
(female)

kind1 HB User

I have also heard that the blue peels are not as effective at peeling the skin as the regular tca peels. Please just remember to go to a board-certified derm and ask for 'before and after' photos. There is supposed to be a downtime of about a week for the peeling process to take place.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:37 AM   #7
(female)

Dee2000 HB User

I had the Fraxel a few weeks ago - looked like a burn victim for a week. Still pink. My eyelids are still very red and tender. I am 29 y/o and would not recommend the Fraxel.

I have not seen any results outside of redness. I have pretty fair skin though. I felt the Fraxel (even taking 10mg Valium and using a 4 combo rx numbing cream) was extremely painful. I have done many IPL's for texture and that was nothing compared to the pain of the Fraxel. It may be worth it if someone has blotchy skin or wrinkles - but definitely not for my age. The Fraxel used was the Active Fx. I will probably only do either a Phenol or actual CO2 laser if I want anything in the future.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
(female)

kind1 HB User

I'd actually read that too about patients not being happy with the results of the laser. The phenol peel is the deepest peel and you may already be aware, but can have dangerous side effects. Perhaps you can instead look into a medium depth (tca) peel. The dermatologist typically perform the chemical peels (as opposed to the plastic surgeons) as I'd called around :)

Old 11-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
(female)

Dee2000 HB User

Yes, my mom has had a phenol around her mouth and loved the results. She's very fair so was a perfect candidate.

Closed Thread