It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2006, 06:27 AM   #1
(female)

alyssa12 HB User
Can surgeons make ugly people pretty?

Hello, I have a really dumb question but I'm curious. I have never, ever liked my looks. In fact in middle school, I was voted the ugliest person in the school ... Well I have a major overbite, which I'm in the works of getting corrected. I have braces, and I'm going to have jaw surgery in about a year to correct my bite. But I have been thinking lately that even after I have the surgery and have a perfect smile, that I will still be ugly. There is just something wrong with my face and I don't know what it is. Can a surgeon look at my face and see what doesn't look "normal" and then fix it? I know the jaw surgery will make a huge difference but I know I'm still not goign to be pretty. Any advice would be great

Old 07-28-2006, 11:42 AM   #2
(female)

dreame123 HB User
Re: Can surgeons make ugly people pretty?

I'm sorry you feel unattractive And for people to have "voted" u "ugliest person," well, thats just beyond cruel. As for your question though, I think a doctor can look at a persons face and judge what is possible for them to do, in order to make a person more attractive. If u were ever considering plastic surgery, I would hope and advise that you do your homework on the prospective doctors. Do not go into this uninformed! I dont want to sit here and lecture you about "being comfortable with your looks" because thats not what ur looking for. Doctors are incredible, but there are however a selective few who are not qualified, and could actually really damage your appearance. What do you think is "wrong" with your face, besides your jaw? A doctor can only do so much, just remember that. U have to also work on yourself inside as well as out, in order to feel comfortable with yourself and your looks..Good luck with everything

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
(male)

WasFatNoMore HB UserWasFatNoMore HB User

I agree with all of the above. I had my nose done at 42 (always hated it). The doctor was great. She didn't change it too much, just got rid of the hump and narrowed the tip a bit. I can't tell that the tip is narrower. I told no one about this and no one has ever noticed. That is a great surgeon. Her goal was to give me a "masculine" nose that fit my face, and she did. A good surgeon could look at your face and be able to tell you what isn't in proportion and what might be done to bring a particular feature into proportion. Every face and skull shape is different so the doctor must be able to figure out what would fit your face best. You can't just say I want Brittney' nose for instance. I would suggest, however, that you wait until your teeth and jaw are completely fixed and healed before you embark on anything else. You never know, the change may be so dramatic that it will make you see the rest of your face in a whole new light! Just correcting your bite and adjusting your jaw are going to make a MUCH bigger change in your appearance than my nose did to mine. However, as minor as my nose hump may have been (at least to others) the difference in the way i see myself is so much better. Good luck to you Allyssa12!

Old 07-28-2006, 02:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

A reputable plastic surgeon can make adjustments here and there to make someone feel more comfortable with certain things about their bodies, BUT, a reputable plastic surgeon will also recognize when someone has emotional problems that plastic surgery can not fix.

Sweetie, it's awful that you feel so unattractive and like the other pseron said, even more terrible that anyone would be so cruel as to vote someone "ugliest person in school". To me, that makes them UGLY and HORRIBLE!

You deserve to feel good about yourself. You deserve to look in the mirror and like what you see looking back at you, but sweetie, if you feel ugly and this is more of an emotional issue, having plastic surgery may not be what you are looking for. I mean, if you do have plastic surgery, you still may not like the person in the mirror. Now, if there are some changes that you feel will make you more comfortable with how you look, then by all means, speak with a plastic surgeon. It sounds like you are already taking steps to have things done that will improve how you feel about your looks. There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

Many of us have had procedures. I, for one, had my breasts lifted and small implants put in because my breasts became extremely saggy after having my children. I am also seriously considering a tummy tuck to get rid of the stretch marks and extra skin on my abdomen from having kids too.

I have to repeat though, that a reputable, good and conscious plastic surgeon will not sit there and tell you that if you have this procedure done or that procedure done it's going to make you feel pretty. If he knows your expectations about the outcome of the surgery are realistic and that you are there for the right reason, then he will certainly be able to point you in the right direction and give helpful advice on what can be done.

I wish you the very best of luck, Please know that the people in this world who are so judgemental of how other people look are shallow, mean, cruel and probably very self conscious about themselves. They need to feel better about themselves, so they talk badly and judge how others look to take the focus off of how they feel about themselves deep down inside sometimes.

Take Care Sweetie!
((((HUGS))))
Lezlee

PS- And don't ever think any question is dumb. If it concerns you enough to ask a question, then you deserve to be able to ask that question and get an answer. Your question was not dumb at all.

Last edited by ozzybug; 07-28-2006 at 02:22 PM.

Old 07-29-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
(male)

angela5503 HB User

Bear in mind that everyone has there own idea of what is beautiful and the odds that your idea will line up with the genetic crapshoot that became you are minimal. Don't let others control your life because they made you feel bad about yourself. Keep in mind that if these very same people disappeared of the face of the earth tomorrow your life wouldn't change a bit, nor would you care. I am 50yrs old now and had the same experiences early in my life that you describe. I have lost a good chunk of my life to depression and anger trying to make others accept me, and accept myself. Don't let that become you, fix what bothers YOU but don't get carried away and absorbed with looking PERFECT. Focus your energy on what you want to be in life and enjoy yourself. Screw the rest of them, they don't know you or care about you and should have no place in the decisions you make about yourself.

Old 08-01-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

strongernow HB User

Yeah I've seen drastic changes when people get nose jobs, otoplasty, vaser liposuction, and genioplasty (which might be of interest to you). Sometimes when people get their eyes done they look so much younger too!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
(male)

jnash HB User

hi alyssa12,
you started this thread 18 months ago. Did yo have your surgery since then? How are things going now? I'm in the same situation you were in when you posted this thread.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I didn't like my looks either. My nose was kind of bulbous at the end (in my mind only I looked like Carl Maulden) my chin was long (again to me like Jay Leno) but as a kid everyone wanted to pretend I was the horse so they could lead me by my "built in" halter. I was made fun of. My teeth were straight but I had a major overbite. In my 30's the teeth started shifting so I had braces on and surgery to bring the jaw forward and trim off the chin. I also had the tip of my nose leveled off. What a difference to me. People didn't know but just said I looked good. It softened my features so much and brought the attention to my eyes. Now at 55 I just had an upper eye lift and I think I look good. I have had several people say I look like Demi Moore. More like her mom and 30 pounds heavier. lol. There is truth though to the statement beauty is in the eye's of the beholder.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

VegasGirl HB User

Remember those makeover shows that were popular a few years back? Plastic surgeons can work wonders. I would recommend veneers if the braces don't make your smile perfect..and you can do a LOT with makeup too.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:23 PM   #10
(male)

jnash HB User

Mel,
If you were to do it again, would you have your first surgery (nose and jaw) again? Do you sometimes wigh you had had your 1st surgery earlier?

Closed Thread