It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
(female)

marie40 HB User
Staple left in accidentally from a breast reduction 11 years ago.

Good afternoon. I recently found out that the pain I have been having in my left chest area is most likely due to a staple they found there after a mammogram I had this past week. I haven't had a mammo since before my surgery and I turned 40 this past year and figured I better start scheduling them. I have that pain in my chest and shoulder blade on my left side for awhile. I have seen a chiropractor, a cardiologist, but never consider thinking about my surgery from 11 years ago causing the problem.
Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has ever had this problem with any type of surgery. I also was told by some friends that there is a possibility of the foreign body (staple) causing cancer cells?? I have never heard of such a think ( REMOVED )
They did show us the staple on the xray film (d/t the xray technician being my friend, she showed us right away!). The staple has fibrous tissue all around it now too. I am wondering if this could have caused the pain in my shoulder and the heart problems I thought I was having, maybe it could be related??
I am just a bit concerned. I haven't talked with my regular doctor yet but was hoping to just get some feedback until I can get in to see him. Any help would be great! Thank you so much.
Marie

Last edited by moderator2; 04-27-2007 at 10:26 AM. Reason: not allowed to post about your profession - please read and follow the posting rules

Old 04-27-2007, 01:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

daisy-duke77 HB User
Re: Staple left in accidentally from a breast reduction 11 years ago.

WOW............i cant believe they even used staples! Are you sure that is what it is? I have had BA and a breast lift. I know that a lift and a reduction is similar surgery. I had mine 9 years ago............and i dont think that they used staples. Can you go back to your original surgeon? You are going to get this removed.......arent you? Good luck, and hope you find some answer's soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

Not sure if it could cause problems or not. I saw a show on the Discovery Channel about a guy that had been cutting his grass when the lawn mower threw something at him. He brushed it off when he felt his face head and body but foun nothing. Later in the month he had trouble breathing and went to hosptial. They did an xray and found a nail embedded in his chest wall. Where it was they could not remove it so they left there. 20 years later he was coughing up blood and went back to the hosptial. They discoverd that the nail had moved over the years and was have in the lung and the other half in his air way. They scheduled him for surgery to remove it since now it was in a safe place for him to have it removed. The night before he was brushing his teeth started coughing up blood and a min later the nail fell in the sink. Since iy was half in his air way the doctor said it was irritating his lungs and he coughed it up.

He never had any medical problems in those 20 years. Don't doctor put metal in people to hold bones together? I suppose it the staple was pushing on a nerve or muslce that it would cause probelms.

Keep us updated. I'm sorry for your problem hope you much better soon!

Old 04-29-2007, 04:50 AM   #4
(female)

marie40 HB User

Thanks Daisy-duke & Squeaky for your relply,
I will keep you posted. I haven't heard anything from the doctor yet but hopefully this week. Like you said Daisy-duke, I too didn't think they used staples. I know I had ALOT of stitches. If it wasn't from that, I have no clue how else I would have metal in there. I have had 3 different back surgeries too but that was all lower.
Squeaky, I remember hearing something about that story you were telling me. That is incredible isn't it? Our bodies have an amazing way of getting 'rid of' things it doesn't want in there! Obviously, a nail is one of those.
Oh well, thank you so much for answering me or 'listening'. Prayerfully, this isn't going to be a major thing but it is nice to have people to 'talk' with about it. Have a great day! Marie

Closed Thread