It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
(female)

ARPrincess HB User
Question Abdominoplasty 11 days post op - help!

I had a TT and Breast Lift 11 days ago. I think I am doing fairly well, but I would like to know what sort of fluid others have experienced in their drain tubes. I've had a slight fever and have a thick, white substance mixed with the red and/or clear fluid that I was getting. Have others experienced that? Also, I am so swollen my belly feels that it will burst. Any suggestions? I've cut back on both salt and sugar and added more pure water.

The following user gives a hug of support to ARPrincess:
loopslike (06-18-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to ARPrincess For This Useful Post:
loopslike (06-18-2011)
Old 05-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
(female)

marie72 HB User
Re: Abdominoplasty 11 days post op - help!

Hi ARPrincess,

I had both procedures done along with implants 14 days ago and was up and driving 10 days later. I had the surgery on Monday and the drains were removed on Saturday. The fluid goes from red to pinkish clear and about 20cc to 30cc per day and then they removed my drains. I don't like that you have a thick white substance in the drains, doesn't sound right, along with the fever. Did they give you an abdominal binder? That should keep the swelling down. Also, are you gasey, did they recommend Colace daily after the surgery up to about 7-10 days, until you bowels are regular. When is your post op appointment, maybe you should call and go in right away to make sure your not beginning to get an infection, are you on antibiotics? Please write back and let me know. I've just been through it but did great, alot better than all the info I have read.

The following user gives a hug of support to marie72:
hauntingkongs (06-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
(female)

ARPrincess HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie72 View Post
Hi ARPrincess,

I had both procedures done along with implants 14 days ago and was up and driving 10 days later. I had the surgery on Monday and the drains were removed on Saturday. The fluid goes from red to pinkish clear and about 20cc to 30cc per day and then they removed my drains. I don't like that you have a thick white substance in the drains, doesn't sound right, along with the fever. Did they give you an abdominal binder? That should keep the swelling down. Also, are you gasey, did they recommend Colace daily after the surgery up to about 7-10 days, until you bowels are regular. When is your post op appointment, maybe you should call and go in right away to make sure your not beginning to get an infection, are you on antibiotics? Please write back and let me know. I've just been through it but did great, alot better than all the info I have read.
I am up and around and have been pretty much since the day after. I am still in a reasonable amount of pain. I am using fiber supplements and having no problem with my bowels moving. This is actual swelling. I am using a binder. This afternoon I took it off and just gently laid my hand on my belly. I moved it a minute or less later and could see a handprint! I have been put back on antibiotics. I was really hoping someone would tell me this can be normal! I saw the nurse yesterday and will see the Dr. day after tomorrow. I still have both drains, but I continue to produce over 100cc of fluid or more each day. He hopes to take one out on Thurs. The swelling is painful right now more than anything else. Of course, you know about the joys of drain tubes!

Old 05-16-2007, 04:18 AM   #4
(female)

marie72 HB User

I'm so sorry to hear that your in so much pain. I didn't experience what you are experiencing. I am slightly swollen. Are you trying to do too much? That produces swelling, try keeping you legs and feet elevated as much as possible. Also I know that you said you cut back on salt and sugar. I almost completely eliminated salt for the two week after and drank water and decaf tea, not even coffee. There are specific tummy tuck sites that may help with what is normal as you know we all heal differently. My heart goes out to you. Let me know what the doctor says about all this after you see him.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
(female)

ARPrincess HB User

I feel some better after my visit with the Dr. Because I am having some fever, he believes I have some infection that my antibiotic is not taking care of so he precribed another one. (I have a lot of antibiotic allergies so that is never an easy task!) As for my sludgy drainage, swelling, etc., I am pretty much normal for some people. You are right when you say we all heal differently and, of course, every instance is different. He said that my body is basically "rejecting" the trauma and is, therefore, swelling like crazy. The spot that was hard and red on Monday is now clear and the actual front & center of my belly is hard and red now. I have an incredible amount of edema still in the belly. So, I've just got to keep doing what I'm doing and be patient. I will have the drain tubes for a while until we can get rid of all this swelling. I am still putting out over 100 ccs a day per side! I just need to be patient with myself and let it heal. The real downside is that I have implant surgery scheduled for June 1 (he preferred doing it in stages) and that may have to be delayed, depending on how my belly does. I appreciate your comments and support in this. My Dr. also suggested that I take my xanax round the clock right now because I am having some mild anxiety/depression. If I do that, I will sleep through my recovery!

Old 05-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
(female)

marie72 HB User

Glad that are calmer then before, surgery and recovery can be very scary. You would be surprised how the body changes from day to day. I hope for your sake that you will feel better by next week. I think the implants freaked me out more than anything else. Just remember to stay calm and everything eventually falls into place. I also think sleeping through recovery is the best! Let me know if you do have the surgery on June 1. The best of everything to you!!!

Old 05-19-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
(female)

ARPrincess HB User

I thought I'd give you an update if you are still there. It's a pretty nasty story, so I hope I don't offend. The drainage to my tubes has slowed down drastically. Beginning this morning and continuing throughout the day I have had drainage from the area of my navel. There are a couple of small openings there. It has varied from oozing to gushing off and on all day. The substance coming out is primarily thick and brownish, with an occasional bloody tone. My temperature has not been over 99 deg in 24 hours. I spoke with my Dr. (while the material was still just oozing) who told me to keep it as clean and dry as possible and call back if I felt I needed to see him. At this point, I physically feel so much better and, other than the hassle of keeping bandages changed to keep the icky stuff off of me, I see no reason to visit the doc again before my Monday appointment. Hopefully, at that point, I will at least get a drain tube out since there is little fluid coming out there. I believe that I have had a serious infection, the new antibiotic is fighting it, the skin broke around my navel and the pus is just using any outlet to release itself from my body. I'll post again after my Dr. visit.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:13 AM   #8
(female)

marie72 HB User

Sorry to hear what a rough time your having, but you sound so much better about the situation. It will just take longer to resolve itself. But definitely keep the whole area clean and sterile. Please keep me updated.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #9
(female)

ARPrincess HB User

I had my appointment with the dr. today and he was so pleased with how I looked. I will most likely get 1, possibly both drain tubes out today. He feels the second antibiotic took care of the infection. He said that he had been very concerned with how I was feeling during my last visit. As for the gobs of goo from my navel, that has stopped. I have some clear to pinkish drainage there. He could see that my upper abdomen was greatly reduced and much redness diminished as a result of the stuff that came out of my bellybutton. So... all is well. I am feeling and looking much better. I still have some swelling and that will just take time. Thanks for being a supporter through this crisis time!

Old 06-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #10
(female)

pearson20001 HB User

Hi friend....I have been following your delimma. I just had TT 22 days ago today. It took 9 days for 1 drain to come out and the other stayed in for 16 days with an output of 35 cc or more. And when I walked on my walking trail, I had an output of 55 cc; that was crazy. I was estatic when the 2nd drain came out. I still have a lot of swelling in the upper abdomen and the middle of the abdomen is very hard, like yours. The doc said that would take 6-8 weeks to soften. Still hurts a bit to sit up from laying flat. I had a hernia repair also during my surgery; it went from my umbilicus to the pubis so my insides are going to take a little longer to heal. And no heavy lifting for at least 2 months, which will suck because I return to work in 2 weeks. But I will make it a point to follow the docs instructions. I do still have some oozing from the umbilicus; not sure what that is about. Kinda clearish gookey kinda stuff. I will give it another day or two and will then check with the doc on how long this is supposed to take to heal. It's been a total of 22 days for me and I am very very pleased with the results. He removed 13 lbs of apron from me and I look and feel like a totally new person. Planning on some liposuction in January when I get breast augmentation. Let me know how you are doing....I can't find many sites with people who are open and honest about the post operative process. -- Sandy in Ohio

Old 07-17-2007, 10:57 PM   #11
(female)

ARPrincess HB User

I haven't been on here in a while. I hope that you are still checking in! It has been about 9 weeks now and I feel pretty normal. I had a breast augmentation about 5 weeks ago. I couldn't believe it when I read that you had 13 lbs of apron removed and feel good! The hernia has to be a real grind too, but better to do it all at once, right? I had 3 lbs removed and a lot of tightening. My belly is still quite swollen and if I go for a couple of hours without compression I have 'swell hell'!! I saw the doc today and he told me to continue being patient so I am. He feels that the continued swelling is because of slow lymphatic drainage because of the thick goop I had inside. So... I continue to be patient. I have been trying to find something on line that would tell me how to do self-massage for the lymph system at home but no luck so far. I have had a lot of emotional hell since the surgery, stress and what have you, depression. I feel that I have finally come out of that so I am ready to recover and ready to have a REALLY FLAT BELLY one day soon! I hope that you continue to do well and please keep me posted.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #12
(female)

pensu HB User

hi I am a very new member as was looking for info as go for Abdominoplasty and some lipo to knees in 4 days - am very scared but have needed to get rid of big ugly overhang since my first pregnancy many many years ago.
It is helpful to know what has happened to other people so if anyone has positive info would be grateful for any tips. thanks

Closed Thread