It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
(female)

Heather13 HB User
Spider veins - sclerotherapy

Hey all!

I have spider veins, and have been collecting them since I was 14! (or possibly younger) My mom has them, and varicose veins, so of course I was a perfect candidate for early onset spider veins.

I would like to know if sclerotherapy (injections) takes care of spider veins well? (Not the big buldging veins, the smaller ones) Does the doctor only go after the larger spider veins, or can/will they do the very small ones too?

I think it's probably a good idea to wear compression hose after, but for how long? Also, how effective do you find the treatment? Do you find some of the veins return shortly afterwards? (not including new ones) Also, if a person keeps on it, and gets treatments on a "regular" basis, will this prevent the formation of painful nasty varicose veins?

It's such a shame... I have a small chest, bad hair, big feet, a flat bottom, but nice long legs! That doesn't even count because there are veins all over the place! I know I sound superficial, truly I'm not that bad off!

Anyone who has information they'd like to share, please do!

Last edited by Heather13; 10-24-2007 at 03:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
(female)

river525 HB User
Re: Spider veins - sclerotherapy

I have tons of spider veins - geeeee thanks mom I have had a few consults for mine and the consensus is sclerotherapy is the best route. I tried the laser therapy one time and saw zero results, or course they said it might take 3-4 times and it was not cheap. I don't really care how much it costs as much but sclerotherapy is the most predictable and with little to no side effects in all my researching and talking with different doctors.

Sclerotherapy is a solution injected with tiny tiny needles directly into the "spots". The doctor I have decided to go with charges by time rather than injections. So for 30 minutes he charges $300. You can bet I will be watcing the clock and pointing to the ones I want "fixed" first,

For obvious reasons now is the time to do it rather than summer time. Yes they like you to wear compression hose (spanx, etc) for a few days after the injections and not to exercise for those couple of days.

After loosing 60 lbs and finally feeling comfortable enough to wear shorts in public my spider veins keep me from wanting to - so I am having mine taken care of this winter and hopefully feel/look comfortable to wear them next Summer.

I've had this done before on my legs (20+ years ago) and I will say it is not that fun. Mine did not return - I just got new ones as I "matured"

Yes they go after tiny tiny ones - some you probably don't even notice, lol. The needles are tiny tiny so the injections don't hurt but after a few it does get uncomfortable and annoying for a lack of better words. I have a few veins that are a bit raised or more obvious and they do hurt when injected but hey a little bit of pain to get rid of these things I'll do it. Just something to know....sometimes it takes a few visits (weeks apart) to take care of the bigger ones.

One thing I'm going to ask is if they will rub some lidocaine to help numb the areas where they inject. I had this done when I had Botox for the first time and it helped.

And varicose veins are different and don't have anything to do with spider veins. I joked with my doctor that I almost wished I had varicose ones b/c insurance covers them. Spider vein treatement is cosmetic

Hope this helps or answers some of your questions. Just make REAL SURE that you are seeing a doctor and not having done at a spa, etc. as just like botox you want to know you are getting the full strength injections!! Not sure where you live but I am going to a vein clinic who basically do nothing but this and varicose veins. The doctor is a vascular physician so he has lots of experience with the veins.

Hope this helps -- take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
(female)

Heather13 HB User
Talking Re: Spider veins - sclerotherapy

Yes, I tried the laser for spider veins, I had 2 treatments. I didn't notice any difference, and at that cost was extremely unimpressed! I figure sclerotherapy is the best way. (You have to love the compression hose, haha!)

Definitely health care is different in Canada vs the States. Right now, only doctors can perform sclerotherapy. You get referred by your regular physician. I don't know what the "fees" are here, but I hope they charge per injection, it's hard watching the clock if they're taking their sweet time and you're being charged per 1/2hr.

EMLA creme is great for numbing skin, however you'd need to have it on 1 hour (covered) for full effectiveness, and thus would need to know where the doctor is going to insert the needle beforehand.

I'm glad to hear after your sclerotherapy that none of the veins treated returned. Congrats on the weight loss, I understand why you want to have pretty legs and show them for for the world to see, you must be so pleased!
I'm sure that being slimmer will lessen your number of future spider veins, so double bonus!

I think it should probably be less painful than laser hair removal. I had my bikini and underarms done. At one underarm session, it was SO painful, my eyes were actually tearing! (I'm not a cryer) And that was with the use of EMLA creme. Crazy. (But on a side note: it was so worth it! Now I have very little hair, don't get razor rash, and don't have a "shadow" of underlying dark course hair. Now I'm doing electrolysis to get rid of the strays)

Thanks so much for replying, your post was very helpful!

Last edited by Heather13; 10-29-2007 at 10:49 AM.

Closed Thread