It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
(female)

PorcelainPowder HB User
Unhappy I hate my cleft chin!

I wanted to have surgery for my chin for about thirteen years. Since I was eight years old, I have deplored my cleft chin; I feel it makes me look masculine. I have always felt abnormal because of it.

I have talked to numerous surgeons in my area, and they have turned me away for one reason or another. One actually turned me away because he liked my cleft chin and told me that some people pay thousands of dollars to get a cleft in their chin!

Another turned me away because I do not want a procedure that is going to make my chin larger--such as an implant. One surgeon suggested that the tissue that is attaching the cleft to the bone be "released," and perhaps filled with a temporary filler in order for it to heal ďin non-cleft modeĒ and this might work to eliminate it. A doctor turned me away because the cleft was somehow muscular in nature and he didnít want to do the operation. I donít really see how mine is any different than any other cleft chins Iíve seen.

I feel my large cleft chin is the only thing standing in my way of me appreciating my looks and feeling feminine, because I like everything else about my face enough to feel pretty.

I actually burnt myself pretty severely (2nd degree) trying to build up scar tissue in a desperate attempt to fill in the cleft. Surprising, it actually worked a little bit. But as you can see this is a very destructive way of going about things. I also never wear dark tops, which I actually adore, because it casts a shadow and makes my cleft chin more apparent.

Has anyone or is anyone thinking of getting cosmetic surgery to remove the appearance of a cleft chin/dimple in the chin?

If so, who is your surgeon?

How is the procedure performed?

Do you have before/after pictures?

How much does the procedure cost?

I've been searching for a very long time but can't seem to find any valuable information. I am getting a consultation tomorrow about the cleft being filled in with Artefill or Radiesse, and perhaps surgically releasing the tethered skin.
Any information helps. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: I hate my cleft chin!

I had a cleft chin too. I also had a strong chin, in my mind like Jay Leno, lol but it really wasnt that bad. I was so embarrassed when I was a teen I would cover my bottom part of my face when I pulled up to a red light while driving so the cute guy next to me wouldn't see my chin. Like you, everyone would tell me how lucky I was to have the cleft. NOT, in my book.
In my 30's I had my chin, nose and boobs done at the same time. My nose tip was a big bulbous. The boobs didn't last, I had a rupture years later, but the chin cleft was definitely gone. I was very happy. About 8 years later, my once straight teeth were shifting, so when braces weren't enough, I had to have upper and lower jaw surgery. My jaw had to be moved forward and then the chin bone shaved. It softened my profile but now I have a little extra tissue at the bottom of the chin on one side. I will someday get that taken care off. And I now have a hint of a chin cleft but that is ok. It is nothing like the dimple I had before.
I don't know why you can't find someone to do it but I guess it is better to have someone let you know they don't want to do it instead of attempting it.
I had my surgery in Santa Barbara, California. I don't know any doctors in Eugene, but don't give up. I bet you can find someone. Just make sure their specialty is plastic surgery.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Oh and restylane or radiance will probably do wonders for you in filling in the cleft
Personally having the chin implant is something I wouldn't do. My friend has one and it shifted a bit over the years, however, it sure fixed her appearance as far as having a receding chin.
It sounds like you have a receding chin. Are your teeth in the correct allignment? If your teeth aren't, braces can help alot, but the surgery can bring the bottom jaw forward, then the maxifacial surgeon can "fix" the chin. That is extreme, but it seems TMJ and bad bites go along with the receding chin but talk to a professional about that.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
(female)

PorcelainPowder HB User

Did your doctor explain how the surgery was done? Who was your doctor? How much did the procedure cost? Thank you for your reply, it really gave me hope.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
(female)

PorcelainPowder HB User

I did the pencil trick where you align it with your bottom lip and it's supposed to hit your chin, and my chin is only like a 20th of an inch behind the pencil, which I heard is okay if you are a woman, right? I'm pretty happy with my profile--my chin recedes a tiny bit, but not to the extent that I believe requires an implant.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

"Did your doctor explain how the surgery was done? Who was your doctor? How much did the procedure cost? Thank you for your reply, it really gave me hope"

Porclaine, this was so many years ago I don't remember and I am sure prices have gone up. My doctor was Dr. Dennis in Santa Barbara.
Restylane wasn't around back then, but I would think that would be a great filler and something to consider

Old 08-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
(female)

nighttime33 HB User

yea i have one too and i really want to get rid of it too i know how you feel=[
from what i have been reading it sound like 2,500-3,500 (thats only what some sites are saying)but paying confidence that for a big help in self I defiantly think its worth it.
i dont see why they wont do it for you.
just keep looking someone WILL!=]
good luck

Old 09-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
(female)

krlr76 HB User
Talking Re: I hate my cleft chin!

WOW! I love my chin! It is unique and me! I am almost 50 and female and never thought it was anything but wonderful! It is a great ice breaker for some people and others never even notice! Both of my girls have one, but not near as deep as mine! I hope you learn to love your chin..it's special not a defect! Good luck!

Last edited by krlr76; 09-09-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Closed Thread