It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
(female)

web777 HB User
why are my eyes still swollen after 5 weeks of having lower eyelid surgery

why are my eyes still swollen after 5 weeks of having lower eyelid surgery

Old 09-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
(female)

fatcat121 HB User
Re: why are my eyes still swollen after 5 weeks of having lower eyelid surgery

you must have had it done the same time I did! I am 9 weeks post now and still have some swelling and bruising. I have had a lot of ups and downs and am surprised how long this is taking. It's finally coming around to where I can say I think I'm glad I did this. I still have chemosis, probably due to canthopexy but my eyes are dry and burning if I don't put drops in every half hour. Of course the PS said in 2 weeks I'd look fine to go to work. They all say that and it seems to be part of their sales pitch. what they think looks ok to go out in public is not what you will think is! And I had it done by one of the best in CA. Go figure

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2008, 04:06 AM   #3
(female)

web777 HB User

I had my eyes done June 23rd. I'm gald to here you are doing great.... I still wake up with bags. Wondering if my docotor did anything but cut me open. So your saying your swollening is gone. I ask him what he did on my post-op he said he reposition the fat. could you send me picture of how it looks at this point.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
(female)

fatcat121 HB User

I had it done the week before you. My swelling is a lot better but not totally gone. But I still have bruising and under eye darkness. When I went 2 weeks ago he gave me a steroid shot in each lower lid to help with the swelling which it did. But it gave me black eyes all over again. I know people who healed a lot quicker and used same doc, so I think I am just very sensitive to all procedures. I had fat removal, not repositioning. also canthopexy.

I haven't taken any pictures lately; almost don't want to see them yet. I do think I look better than "before" in any event. Nevertheless, people I run into who haven't seen me in a while keep telling me I look great and think I lost weight or changed my hair color. this is with makeup covering the dark parts of course. So I'm hanging in there and trying to be patient. If it's true that it really takes 3-6 months to see final results, then there's hope~ Best to you. I know this is frustrating and scary.

Last edited by fatcat121; 09-05-2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: want to add date

Old 09-06-2008, 04:33 AM   #5
(female)

web777 HB User

I never had any bruishing. I wake up each morning and my lower eyes are swollen. By the end of the day they seem to get better. I think I looked better before. Hopefully time will tell. Its sounds like your on the road to recover. I wish u the best. Write me anytime. Nice talkin to u.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
(female)

fatcat121 HB User

We had different procedures. The one I had does cause more bruising but when excess skin needs to be removed they do transcutaneous vs. going in from inside the eye. And my doctor still believes in some conservative fat removal vs. just repositioning.
What is your PS telling you at this point? You might ask about steroid injections to help with swelling. You're lucky no bruising as that is very hard to cover up. I have been to dept store makeup counters and spent a few hundred on Dior, Chanel and finally found something that worked, Dermablend for a lot less. They say it takes 6 months to see final results. This has been harder than I thought it would be. I freaked out several times during the early weeks when one eye looked a lot bigger than the other, one eyelid hung down more than the other, etc. If you believe you had a competent doctor, go see him/her soon and get some reassurance, new meds, etc.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:59 AM   #7
(female)

web777 HB User

I also has the lower eyelids cut under the eye. But I don't think he removed the fat just reposition the fat. I also had a corner cut on the eye where he pull the muscle. I don't go back to see him til December. I guess I will wait it out. How is the scaring going.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:43 AM   #8
(female)

fatcat121 HB User

Scarring is still a bit lumpy and red but not too visible as it's mostly in creases. Under eye scars are pretty close to lashes and no one but me really would notice. I do have some milia (like whiteheads) around the scars on upper eyelids and a lump at corner of one lower lid but they are supposed to go away over time. isn't everything? )
I also had canthopexy which sounds like what you are describing to hold muscles. Do you really need to wait till December to see the doctor? Mine would let me call with questions or make an appt as much as I wanted. You shouldn't have to deal with this on your own. EVen if all she/he says is give it more time...I think a big problem is they set you up to think you'll look pretty good in 2 weeks--they ALL seem to do that--so your expectations don't match what happens. And maybe it takes longer as you get older. I am in my 50's. I have some persistent bruising on my cheek and somedays you think it'll never go away! Heading now into week 11! Good luck!

Old 09-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
(female)

web777 HB User

My scars are pretty good I bought this product called scar guard. It has a really bad smell but I think I notice a big difference. I also have a white bump on the upper eyelid corner hopefully it will go away. I'm 44 Its nice talkin to someone else that has gone threw the same thing.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
(female)

fatcat121 HB User

I use Scarguard too. Can't tell if it's doing much yet but is highly recommended. Also Doctor prescribed TriLuma which is a bleaching cream with Retin A for under eye dark circles and funky skin. My skin under my eyes looks like chicken skin and it's really bothering me. It was probably always that way but, without all the bags, is real noticeable now. And of course, it doesn't solve for dark circles; not sure the cream will really do that either but I'm willing to try. Beyond that, it's lasers and I that idea. Nice to chat with someone else is similar boat too. )

Old 09-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
(female)

web777 HB User

A girl a work with had her upper eyes done. She had the laser done it looks great all her scare line are gone. The doctor she went to said you had to wait 4 months after surgery. I might look into that she said the cost was $500.00. I was also looking on the computer for information on bags some people said it was there thyriod causing the bags once they were put on meds. They had no more bags. Something else to look into.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #12
(female)

fatcat121 HB User

If you had lowers done should be no more bags. I have small ones still but think it's swelling. If you do lasers, let me know~ We are both approaching 3 months, right?

Old 09-08-2008, 02:47 AM   #13
(female)

web777 HB User

Everymorning I wake up the lowers are swollen. By the end of the day most but not all has gone down. Thats why I'm upset about it. I would love to wake up and have no bags. Thats what I was looking forward to. I sure will let you know if I do laser...

Old 09-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #14
(female)

fatcat121 HB User

oh I have that too. bags in a.m. better by evening which should be a clue that'll heal ok eventually. somedays my lowers don't look like I did anything to them, other than my lower lids are still fat!

Old 09-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
(female)

web777 HB User

I know what you mean. Hopefully this will all be over with soon. We both will be beautiful again. I didn't tell you but I also had cartilige added to my nose. I know a lot of people have it taken out. But I was born with my nose on one side colapsed. When you lookded at me my nose was perfect until I smiled the one side would colapsed. I talked to the doctor a couple of times and he said to leave it a lone. Finally he did it. Not sure it was a good idea either. I have a pump on the side of my nose now. an it seems in pictures that it still does the same thing. I'm hopeing that in time this will work. he said it could take up til a year. Talk to you soon. Cindy

Last edited by moderator2; 09-09-2008 at 05:40 AM. Reason: please do not post pictures for any reason - as per the posting policy

Closed Thread