It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
(female)

rachie726 HB User
Plastic Surgery and Teens

Teenagers have and will always be self-conscious about their bodies at least one time in their life. Many of them feel that by having plastic surgery on the areas that are at fault will make them feel better about themselves. However, having plastic surgery before the teen is both physically and emotionally mature can be hazardous. In order to prevent this from occurring, it’s up to the parents to prevent their teens from having plastic surgery before it’s time.
Parents should be aware of the complications their teens might experience during and after surgery. Teens should realize “nothing happens before its time.” Teens mature at different rates, so when they receive plastic surgery as a sweet sixteen present or just because, teens are risking their bodies and minds. Teenagers are naturally unhappy with their bodies, by having the surgery they feel as if everything is automatically better. However, what they are not aware of are the complications. Plastic surgery at an early age can cause major body disfiguration because their bodies have not matured. Not only their bodies can suffer, they can also suffer psychologically. According to an article in Cosmetic Surgery: Are tougher safety regulations needed, after surgery a person can develop body dismorphic disorder. When someone has this disorder it means that they will never be fully satisfied with their bodies, and it causes them to continue to have more surgeries.

Plastic surgery can become addictive, and teenagers are more susceptible to the addiction because they start so young. My cousin’s ex-girlfriend is an example of someone who quickly became addicted to plastic surgery. She had her first plastic surgery procedure at 17 and since then has continued to receive plastic surgery at least once a year, ranging from breast augmentation to collagen injections in her lips. She is now 26. There needs to be a limit on the number of cosmetic surgeries a person can have. By having too many surgeries a person risks their body and their life. Teenagers should be aware that “too much of a good thing can be bad.”
Many parents will argue that parental consent should be accepted, regardless of age, for procedures. However, even though parents give their consent it doesn’t mean that their child is exempt from possibly becoming addicted to plastic surgery or possible body disfiguration. Another set of parents may argue that plastic surgery should be allowed at any age if a medical condition is involved. Of course age wouldn’t matter when it comes to a medical condition; there are always exceptions to every rule, for these exceptions the patient would need medical clearance to receive the procedure.
Preventing teens from having plastic surgery at an early age could save them from possible body disfiguration and psychological disorders. No one wants to be disfigured by the age of twenty-three from procedures that were suppose to make them beautiful at the age of seventeen. And I am almost certain no one wants to become addicted to plastic surgery either, which will become quite costly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

herbsmaster HB User
Re: Plastic Surgery and Teens

they would be far better seeing a good psychotherapist. Self esteem and self worth are the problems here, and parents should do their bit with praise and reassurance.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
(female)

bekkieboop89 HB User

rachie726:

While I do understand what you're saying in your post, I think you need to take into consideration that age does not always equal maturity. There are many 36 year old's who become addicted to Plastic Surgery, just as some 16 year old's do. Emotional maturity is something that cannot be measured by age, and is something every surgeon must evaluate before putting someone under the knife.

Additionally, while the psychological effects of plastic surgery can sometimes harm a teen, leaving a large insecurity unaided can be just as harmful. At 17 I went in for a cosmetic procedure - and I assure you that I'm quite stable, and have much more confidence becasue of it. I've yet to have another procedure - and I don't feel your claim that "teenagers are more susceptible to the addiction because they start so young" is a fair one - there is no the correlation. Teens don't get enough credit where thought process is concerned; perhaps not everyone under 18 could handle the emotional implications of a surgery, but there are many that can.

Your concern about physical development is a valid one - but many young women have reached physical maturity by 15. This can actually be confirmed with an X-Ray of the pelvis, and is common practice with pediatric optometrist's when a minor needs invasive surgery.

I thought it was only fair that both sides of this argument be represented. That being said, I agree to disagree.

I'm curious though, why did you post on health board if you did not have a question?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
(female)

AnneInNY HB User

I think it's completely reasonable for some teens to have quality of life plastic surgery.

This is what I mean:
1. A 17 yr old girl with DD breasts who wants a breast reduction.

2. a 16-year old with a lifetime of teasing over his big nose.

3. A 17 yr old with moobs who won't remove his shirt during gym and no longer goes into the pool at home.

4. A 12 yr old who is called Dumbo at school because his ears stick out.

5. a 16 yr old girl with labia so long she is uncomfortable in panties, swimsuits and avoids physical intimacy because she is so embarrassed.

You can spam me if you want, but I stand firm on these types of procedures. It's easy for us without these kinds of issues to tell kids, "You'll get over it" or "you'll grow out of it" or "you can't just run off and get plastic surgery to fix your social life" when in fact, some of the results of feeling ostracized is a lifetime of difficulties socially.

Each case is unique and we can't generalize about all kids. At the same time, if my kid with a fine nose came to me and wanted a nose like Jennifer Aniston, duh, I'd say NO. There's a difference between silly teenaged requests and obsessions over looks and something really necessary.

My 2c anyway.

Anne

Old 04-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
(female)

fatcat121 HB User

Anne, I totally agree with you. I broke my nose when I was 13 and my parents didn't even take me to doctor. they were afraid of plastic surgery because they knew a guy with a bad nose job who had gone to a butcher. When I was 16 I asked again and they said when I could pay for it myself I could do it. I had no idea insurance would have covered it as it was due to an accident. I went thru my teen years with a crooked nose and hated every day of it. I was self conscious and got an occasional comment that made me cry. I was envious of every girl who came back from summer holiday with a "new" nose. When I was 28 and married I finally got it fixed. That was a long time ago and I hope parents are more enlightened now. Whether you are born with a feature you hate or obtain it thru an accident, it is very hard to live with. You waste precious time obsessing about it and there's always someone waiting to point it out to you. If one of my kids said they wanted a nose job or ears fixed, I'd talk to them but do it in a NY minute!

Old 04-24-2009, 03:30 AM   #6
(female)

AnneInNY HB User

FatCat, I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you and that yes, in retrospect, it could've been fixed with insurance money. Sounds like your parents did the best they knew how with the information they had available, and they wanted to "protect" you from further problems. Glad to hear you were able to take care of this in adulthood. I bet you look great!

Anne

Closed Thread