It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
(female)

lis299 HB User
Angry Tummy Tuck Drains removal

Hi there, I decided to post this as I have been searching everywhere online to find some answers and can not find out anything or any instances of this happening. If you read this and had an experiance like mine, I would like to hear more from you, or your advise. This is my story, I had a Tummy Tuck on Aug. 14th. I am now 2 weeks 4 days post op. I went to get my drains remove on Aug 25th. The left side of the drain came out fine no problems, but the right side showed some resistance while the Doc was pulling it out, he then continued to pull on the drain really hard, then it broke, I now have part of the broken drain inside me, which is layed out in my upper stomach, the doc who pulled my drain out was not a PS he was just a regular Doc, I live in a remote community so we have fly in Docs, but I was told I could get the drains removed here. Now due to this, I have to undergo a second surgery to get this drain removed. I myself personally think this doc could have done more to prevent this from happening, not only now am I faceing more risks of undergoing a second surgery, but I am wondering.. Is this a case of Neglegence or is there anything he could have done more to prevent this? Can anyone give me some answers??

Old 09-16-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
(female)

sosickofthis HB User
Re: Tummy Tuck Drains removal

I would definetly say that is negligence, not to mention the fact that you have this still inside you and are risking a severe infection from it. I would call the ps that done the surgery or another one even and ask if they have heard id this happening

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
(female)

whyps HB User

What a horrible experience - how is everything going? I just had a tummy tuck and inner thighplasty with lipo on hips and thighs on 9 Oct 09. I am totally miserable and can not believe I have done this to myself. I have had problems so far with my tummy tuck. On the 15 of Oct I had to go see my PS so he could asperiate the hematoma I had in my belly. Let me tell you this hurt really bad. I was actually begging the PS to stop I was in so much pain. He drained about 300ccs and put a new drain in. I am worried that I am still bleeding or had just bleed some more due to the asperiating. My fluid in my drain was a light red now it is dark dark red again. I go back to see my PS on Monday. I can't take the pain of another asperation. Has anyone experienced this? Oh I also can not stand up straight - I have tried - I hope I will be able to soon. Wondering if the TT and inner thighplasty has made everthing to tight

Old 10-19-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
(female)

lis299 HB User

It's Oct 19th, and have now started my road to recovery. After the Dr. had broken my drain, my PS said he would like to wait 6 weeks for my TT to heal a bit before going to remove the drain, in fear it would open everything up again, and I would have to start the recovery from the beginning. During the 6 weeks of waiting, I went thru infections in my tummy from my body trying to reject this object(the drain) in me. Expensive antibiotics, constant trips to the hospital, I also had an opening where my TT wound was, it was about 3-4 cm wide. I was draining fluid (old blood) thru this as the tube in me was still acting like a drain, but with nowhere to drain, it was leaking through the wound. I am sure glad my Mom works for the Hospital b/c I went thru alot of dressing changes every hour - 2 hours for 6 weeks and I imagine It would have costed lots to provide all the dressing I went thru. I was in lots of pain and survived on pain killers for the 6 weeks. when it came time for my surgery, I was really nervous for having to undergo a second surgery being put to sleep. My PS found alot of gunk in my tummy from this drain settling in my tummy, he is not sure what is was. but it did make my tummy flatter (Amazing) after it was removed. My recovery from that, was not as bad, I was in a little pain, I did have to get another drain put in, which I was scared to have B/C I have a history of clotting, my first drains clotted, and when that came out the old blood poured out like flowing water all over the place, not a happy experience. So, I went to my PS to get the second drain removed and of coarse I was an emotional wreck, because of the journey I have already gone thru. when all was said and done, drain removed, staples out, I felt I was on the road to recovery. When I first came home after my TT, I cried after looking in the mirror, I could not believe I let someone do this to my body, sure I was unhappy before, that is why I got my TT, but to see that my tummy all cut up, it isnít easy, very emotional. So for the 6 weeks after.. lets just say, was a emotional rollercoaster, I had good days and alot of bad. One piece of advise for everyone getting a TT, brace your self for an emotional journey ahead, and make sure you have positive support, because with out it, it could be scary. I had contacted a Lawyer to find out what grounds I had on going after the Dr. who had broke my drain, and the lawyer said, he could not find any documented case for a broken drain, but in cases of botched stomach operations wherein the patient ultimately made a full recovery (ie. gauze or medical equipment left inside requiring subsequent surgeries to remove), he found that the range of damages was between $15,000.00 and $40,000.00.
and had said because doctors have insurance and their own Lawyers to defend them, It would not be a cost efficient way to win. He said I would be paying over 30,000$ or more into lawyer fees and such. So now, it leaves me basically with out any compensation. I sometimes think to my self.. "Suck it up" but then again, he should have expressed more caution and options. I am not sure when I am going to go with all this, but for now, til I find a lawyer who would take me on, I will continue to search.
Best of luck to all you TT woman. I hope nobody has to go through what I went thru.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
(female)

lis299 HB User

I have not gone thru the Aspiration part, it sounds painful but the standing up straight, I could not till I had this second surgery for my drain removal, I was not standing up fully for 7 weeks after my TT, it takes time b/c they fix your stomach muscles up stitching them together which ultimutly makes the slouching happen, it will in due time get better, its just the road to recovery seems like forever. Hold in there, and try to keep your chin up, if you have to survive on pain killers.. do it. I know what pain is like. but dont give up.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
(female)

whyps HB User

Thank you for sharing your story. I am doing better - I will keep the drain in until next Wednesday, but have to go back to work 11 Nov and need to be able to stand.

Closed Thread