It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
(female)

Marggie HB User
Clogged left ear after face lift

I had mid face lift 5 days ago and both ears are clogged. I also hear a sort of gurgling sound. I have yet to have a follow-up appointment so I don't know what this is either. You are not alone; I hope someone responds to us.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
(female)

hunna HB User
Re: Clogged left ear after face lift

hi,

I had a minifacelift january 4, 2010. I had tremendous pressure over my right ear for a very long time. I still do, but it has eased up some. My PS said it may be blood that accumulated from the surgery. I saw an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor. He said my ears were fine. I've figured out that the pressure is from all the tension and pulling on my muscles from the lift. It transfers to many places causing discomfort. I never heard gurgling, but my both ears definitely felt clogged. I hope this helps and you get it resolved. I've been suffering for 17 weeks now from all the tightness. I hear it gets better, but can take a LONG time to really heal. Good luck. If I can be of any help let me know.
Rosemary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
(female)

Marggie HB User

Hi Hunna,

Thank you very much for responding. My gurgling and clogged ears finally (slowly) cleared up. What I'm dealing with now, 4 weeks post surgery, is an extreme feeling of tightness and pulling sensation as well as a total numbness of earlobes, area in front of ears to outside edges of eyes including area down around and under chin. It is very strange and I hope it gets better, though I understand there can be some permanent numbness. Were you numb and did it lessen? I hope you're feeling more comfortable.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
(female)

hunna HB User

hello,

i hear numbness, tightness and pulling are all part of facelift process. some are luckier than others, in the degree and duration that they feel it. everyone i've talked to has told me it gets better with time. i know 4 weeks seems like a long time, but you're still in the early stages of healing. it will get better. i have to believe this. i've had a very rough road. i still have numbness, tremendous tightness and pulling going on after 17 weeks. i'm taking zanax to relieve some of the tightness, and darvestte if the discomfort of it all is too much. my ps used an internal suture that doesn't dissolve for 6-9 months. ugh! those sutures are creating a lot of tension in my jaw and neck. i'm praying it will begin to ease up soon. i've learned how to manage my pain, but look forward to the day i'll feel "good" again. i'm sure this will not be the case for you. please stay in touch and let me know how you're doing.
take care
rosemary
p.s. do you like your results so far?

Old 05-03-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
(female)

Marggie HB User

Hi,

Good to hear from you about this as I feel similar. I will ask my ps if one of the more painful spots in back of my R ear could be from an internal stitch (I did not know about them). It is extremely painful and at times I need to take tylenol to get to sleep, I feel like I have a tight mask on. What bothers me a great deal are the two tight cords that go from the area of the back part beneath my chin down sides of my neck. I also look forward to time passing and these cords loosening up; they're weird. To be honest, i can't say I'm thrilled with this look. The loose skin is gone, but I feel I might look a bit stretched. I haven't "tested" the look out yet on anyone who knows me well (friends, family). I cannot squint which I didn't know I did when I smiled, so when I smile my face gets very tight and feels odd. I still have *****ly stitches which are supposed to dissolve (?) but they feel like plastic to me. I'm sorry you're having so much pain and discomfort. My jaw tension slowly went away; I hope yours eases soon. For a while I couldn't close my back teeth. I massage my neck for the neck discomfort. It helps. Have you tried that? I'm beginning to think mini or mid lifts are more traumatic than "regular" lifts. I hope you're happy with your new look so far.
Take care,
Marg

Old 05-05-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
(female)

hunna HB User

Marg,

i hope this finds you feeling a bit better today..moist heat is another good thing for your neck. you can buy the packs you put in the microwave at the drug store. they have like beans in them. that hold the heat. i heat it up and put it under my neck at night to help me fall asleep. it's your sternocleidomastoid muscle that feel like tight rubber bands in your neck. you can grab on either side of them if they're not too tender and squeeze. it will relieve some tension. (i'm a massage therapist, though i haven't been able to work since my facelift ) ; (
the stretched look will ease up. you're still swollen, making everything tight on the outside. it definitely gets better on the outside as the swelling goes down. even if you think it's down, it's still not.
my insides got tighter as i'm healing, making the pulling feeling more intense. my ps really pulled me tight. guess he had no choice because i probably did the procedure before i needed it. (thought i should....wrong.)
i can feel the *****ly stitches too in my face. i'm told they are dissolvable, but not for a long time. (another thing my ps failed to mention). the ones behind my ears have dissolved, and i think that's the cause of your pain back there. my ears were very sore back there. i could feel the stitches under the skin. twice they came to the surface and my ps removed them. and even though i can't feel the sutures behind my ears, it's still very sore back there....may be nerves. my ps used a different size behind the ears, than in front and in my face. i know all this because i requested a copy of the operating room report. i've been so miserable, i just wanted to know what he did to me to try to figure out my pain.
some days are better for me than others. seems like one step forward, two steps back. i've learned how to manage the pain. it's just going to take much longer for me than i thought. but, i'm better than i was last month...so i'm trying to be patient, take each day for what it brings, and stay positive.
i really doubt that this will be the case for you. another few weeks and you'll turn the corner and feel great!
let me know how you're doing, and if i can be of help, i'm here.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
(female)

hunna HB User

hi marg,

just wondering how you're feeling. i hope to hear you're better.

rosemary.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #8
(female)

Marggie HB User

Hello Hunna, I notice that my last reply to you a long time ago didn't "take". I don't know why. I hope you are doing better and the pain has eased somewhat by now. I have thought of you often and I guess we need to be grateful that things were not worse! I still have some pain, my neck cords still stand out and are uncomfortable, but better now. The stitches did not dissolve. They had to be removed and where they were, are now bumps -- quite hard ones. I still feel some *****le (stitches) behind my earlobes and above my ears. I'm to go back in two months, so I guess if those have not dissolved by then, they will also be removed which is a little bit painful and causes bleeding. I'm still extremely numb and so far, that hasn't changed. My earlobes feel "dead" and fat, though they look normal. I can't get earrings into my pierced earlobes. Anyway...that is the update as of the day after tomorrow two months post op. How are you doing now? I know it has been many many weeks for you and I truly hope you are feeling more comfortable week by week. Please let me know; I care. Sorry it has been so long since I wrote. I hope this message takes.
Marg

Old 06-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
(female)

hunna HB User

hi marg,

so nice to hear from you. it sounds as if you're feeling a bit better. i truly hope so. 2 months already. crazy how slow it goes day by day, but then the time just goes. where were the stitches you had removed? behind your ears?
i can still feel all the *****ly little devils in my face, under my ear lobes, and down my neck (especially on right side). it seems as i heal, the pulling gets worse. i have so much pressure over my right ear i would like to scream. i've just started getting vertigo. i'm going to an ear dr. on thursday. if it's not my inner ear, then i'm thinking some type of nerve impingement in my neck. my pain is constant, but in degrees. sometimes it's bad, and other times only tolerable with pain killers.
i am 5 months post op on the 4th. who knew i'd be going through this? i just pray i come out of it. i've never experienced pain like this. it seems so hopeless sometimes. but i have to stay positive.
i know you will continue to make progress and feel better each day. stay in touch. it's nice to be able to talk to someone who's going through it.
take care,
rosemary

Old 07-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
(female)

redsands8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunna View Post
hi marg,

so nice to hear from you. it sounds as if you're feeling a bit better. i truly hope so. 2 months already. crazy how slow it goes day by day, but then the time just goes. where were the stitches you had removed? behind your ears?
i can still feel all the *****ly little devils in my face, under my ear lobes, and down my neck (especially on right side). it seems as i heal, the pulling gets worse. i have so much pressure over my right ear i would like to scream. i've just started getting vertigo. i'm going to an ear dr. on thursday. if it's not my inner ear, then i'm thinking some type of nerve impingement in my neck. my pain is constant, but in degrees. sometimes it's bad, and other times only tolerable with pain killers.
i am 5 months post op on the 4th. who knew i'd be going through this? i just pray i come out of it. i've never experienced pain like this. it seems so hopeless sometimes. but i have to stay positive.
i know you will continue to make progress and feel better each day. stay in touch. it's nice to be able to talk to someone who's going through it.
take care,
rosemary
I got vertigo about 2 wks after my lift- it went away after 2 days- came back a week later- just for a day. Now- that was minor compared to my left side of my face- which has bumps - about 3 - looks like fluid in it. Have seen my prominent NYcity surgeon 4 times already- even did a blood test to see if there was an underlying infection- there wasn't - I think this won't go away- I am scared

Old 08-15-2010, 07:01 AM   #11
(female)

hunna HB User

hi marg,

just checking in to see how you're feeling. i hope all is well.

rosemary.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:30 AM   #12
(female)

redsands8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marggie View Post
Hello Hunna, I notice that my last reply to you a long time ago didn't "take". I don't know why. I hope you are doing better and the pain has eased somewhat by now. I have thought of you often and I guess we need to be grateful that things were not worse! I still have some pain, my neck cords still stand out and are uncomfortable, but better now. The stitches did not dissolve. They had to be removed and where they were, are now bumps -- quite hard ones. I still feel some *****le (stitches) behind my earlobes and above my ears. I'm to go back in two months, so I guess if those have not dissolved by then, they will also be removed which is a little bit painful and causes bleeding. I'm still extremely numb and so far, that hasn't changed. My earlobes feel "dead" and fat, though they look normal. I can't get earrings into my pierced earlobes. Anyway...that is the update as of the day after tomorrow two months post op. How are you doing now? I know it has been many many weeks for you and I truly hope you are feeling more comfortable week by week. Please let me know; I care. Sorry it has been so long since I wrote. I hope this message takes.
Marg
HI
IT HAS been 3 months now- my ears still are a bit tender- can't wear heavy earrings= neck is the worst - hurts- stiff and left cheek still some lumps- god- my Dr has hinted that it can be a year till all resolves- I am 68- he says you heal at slower rate after 60- so who gets a face lift at 40??? Ha Ha- I am trying to be patient- still hurts if someone kisses me on cheek - I turn away and say I had dental work.
Let me know what is happening.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #13
(female)

Marggie HB User

Hi,
What is happening is that very very slowly those weird lines of bee-bee sized hard bumps are flattening. I guess the stitches are slowly dissolving (about time). It has been 4.5 months. Ears finally coming around, though one lobe is still 1/2 numb. Ear rings are hard to get in now (???) and it hurts to put in earrings. Ears are a bit painful and temples are absolutely totally numb with no sign of improvement. I also heard that the older you are the longer healing takes. I haven't heard from Rosemary for a long time; I hope so much that she isn't still suffering from a lot of pain.
Take care.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #14
(female)

redsands8 HB User

Hi I have hope that maybe my lumps on left cheek will flatten down- I see a drop of progress on it- actually when I put no sunscreen no foundation it seems to help- I very lightly massage them 2 times a day- it has been 3months and a week.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
(female)

artie406 HB User

Ladies came across your posts while looking for some answers of my own. I had a mini (mac) whatever you want to call it lift 16 months ago. I still have disgusting lumps behind my ears, can still fell the stitches that haven't yet dissolved and are painful to touch. If I roll on my side at night and press on the spot it will wake me up. I can never wear my hair up again as the lumps behind my ears are too unsightly. Dr. said they would go away in a couple months but as I said it's been 16 months and no change. I hope you have better results with healing then I did. I also have bruising on both sides of my neck that though faint has never gone away. Looks sort of like a purplish rash.

Closed Thread