It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
(female)

CrossMyHeart HB User
ENT said I NEED septoplasty/rhinoplasty done. Scared out of my mind.

Hello everyone,

I have never had a major surgery done before. However, when I went in for my first ENT appointment for what I thought was chronic sinusitis, they took a good look at my nose with a scope and told me I needed it fixed by a plastic surgeon. When I was in junior high I was very into sports and I've had a few hits to the face via volleyball and basketball. My septum is so crooked that I can't breathe out of one side of my nose and the problem is high up so my nose would droop because fixing the septum would mess up the structure.

My brother had to go through this twice and I've watched him recover. It looks brutal. He was vomiting out blood. I have acid reflux which doesn't react well to strong medications and antibiotics. I'm afraid it will be aggravated after the surgery. My reflux has been known to splash onto my sinuses at times. All I can think about is the pain. Will this be worth it?

I'm worried about the blood loss too. How will that be? How much food and water do I have to take in to make up for the loss? It's already hard for me to swallow with the reflux. I also have interstitial cystitis which makes me pee more than the average person. So I am usually dehydrated.

tl;dr: I have to get septoplasty/rhinoplasty; other conditions are already causing me pain and this might make it worse. FML.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:34 AM   #2
(female)

Helen6090 HB UserHelen6090 HB User
Re: ENT said I NEED septoplasty/rhinoplasty done. Scared out of my mind.

About 10 yrs ago i had a Septoplasty done as I had trouble breathing I fell from a 2nd floor window when I was 2 and I had no cartilage on tbe tip of my nose it was very uncomfortable but well worth it a yr later I had a full Rhinoplasty and a second Septoplasty done I have never looked back all the pain was more than worth it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
(female)

steelmags HB Usersteelmags HB User

My message to you will be simple. Get another opinion and make sure the second opinion doctor doe not know the first opinion as they tend to have each other's backs.
There is lots of money to be made with the knife.

Learn all you can ... ask lots of questions .... and always do the leas invasive procedure and ONLY when absolutely necessary.

Simple plan. Not easy.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:17 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Several things come to mind. If the bone is so deformed that it needs be broken and reset, you do in fact need a plastic surgeon. Kudos to the ENT for not trying to do it himself.

Second, when did your brother have his done (how long ago) and did an ENT or plastic surgeon do it? Things have changed a lot over the years so his experience may in no way resemble what you experienced. I had a deviated septum repaired by an ENT about 50 years ago and they don't do it the same way any more!

Do get a second opinion and focus on how much better you will feel once you have it corrected. i know I did!

Reply Reply

Tags
anxiety, reflux, rhinoplasty, septoplasty