It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2004, 05:21 AM   #1

TF1023 HB User
Information about Tietze's Syndrome/Costochondritis

Hi everybody. I have some questions regarding these conditions. About three years ago I was getting into a routine of exercising (sit ups and push-ups). Well, I noticed a hard mass, kind of a lump on the right side of my chest. It felt swollen and was kind of painful to the touch. I went to the doctor and he said it was Costochondritis.

Three years later, I still have this mass, this swelling. It is no longer painful to the touch, but it really bothers me. From what I've read, this is actually Tietze's Syndrome. I do have pains in that side of the chest and shoulder from time to time, depending on how I move or what I'm doing. I also experience some pain sometimes when I cough in my lower ribs and I feel pain in the top part of my chest sometimes when I sneeze.

My questions are: Will any of this ever go away? I recently brought it up again to a new doctor and she said the swellings I feel are the rib cartilage. Maybe I'm freaking out over nothing, but what prevents the swelling from stopping? Could it infect all my cartilage or go to other places if left "alone." I don't really know how infection and imflammation works. Can this all lead to other infections or swellings in other areas of the body? Is there anything I can do to get the swelling down or stop the pains I have? From what I've read, Costochondritis can be very debilitating at times and I am thankful that mine is not too bad. I am taking Cipro now, but everything I've read is so discouraging saying nothing really works. There has to be something! And can I EVER get this swelling down from the Tietze's Syndrome? Is it something I should worry about or is it OK? Any help or advice would be appreciated. I understand there's greater things to worry about, but this bothers me because I want to fight to make myself better and not just "live with it." Thank you for reading!

-Tom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2004, 03:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Information about Tietze's Syndrome/Costochondritis

Tom-
I'm sure you've been researching like crazy and I don't have any specific answers for you. But in case you need more info, here is a link (approved by Moderators to post here) to MEDLINE PLUS which is one of the National Institutes of Health's websites that can be very useful to investigate the latest research and info on different disorders, drugs, etc. I'm linking you to the Cartilage Disorder page.

[url]http://search.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/query?MAX=500&SERVER1=server1&SERVER2=se rver2&PARAMETER=tietze%20syndrome&DISAMB IGUATION=true&FUNCTION=search[/url]

Hope it leads you to some answers.

zuzu xxx

Last edited by zuzu8; 03-12-2004 at 03:03 AM.

Old 04-11-2004, 12:37 PM   #3
Inactive

jeujeu HB User
Re: Information about Tietze's Syndrome/Costochondritis

I have costo due to a chest trauma. I've tried many things but haven't found a solution. If you have swelling you can try anti-inflammatories. There's NSAIDs, ice, and herbal anti-inflammatories which are better for you than drugs (tumeric, ginger, etc.)

Good luck.

- Judy

Last edited by moderator2; 04-11-2004 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Closed Thread