It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 05:55 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
Re: Costochondritis

Oh wow, do i know what that feels like. I just went to the doctor on Monday, cause it started around THanksgiving for me. Not sure if it was all the work, lifting the turkey, flipping it over to spice, then picking it up to put in bag, plus cooking everything else, then cleaning. Actually i started feeling bad friday morning when i got up and just got worse. By Monday I couldnt take it and they worked me in. She said it was the fibro, since i cant take aspirin (im allergic to it), she instead started me on a low dose of cymbalta for the pain. She said it would take a while to kick in, but i also take 4 lortabs plus 4 muscle relaxers per day for the pain. Hope it goes away soon, sure makes it hard to breathe and wears you out physically more so than usual.
Jen

Old 12-08-2004, 06:54 PM   #17
(female)

Toodle HB User

Well I live with my heating pad constantly too. I do take Lortab 10 - 3 times a day & it helps to take the edge off, buts thats all I know to do. Mine hurts in my back real bad too and around my armpit my entire left ribcage to under my left breast.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Mine lasted about two weeks, but ive had it before and im sure i'll have it again. I cant say that all the pain is gone, so maybe its still there, just that the intensity level has gone down alot than those few days i couldnt even GET out of bed and i was so out of breath from shallow breathing. I am also on lortab 4 times a day plus soma 4 times a day so im sure that has helped me alot. I cant take anything for inflammation since im allergic to aspirin and such, so couldnt take anything just had to make it thru the rough part.
Jen hoping you feel better soon!

Old 12-14-2004, 09:11 AM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

I've been reading this board about Costo for awhile, and wondered about it, cuz it sounded like what I had been feeling off and on. I was already told by my GP that rib pain is a symptom of FM, but yesterday I got the in depth report and diagnosis from my rhuemy (is rhuemy spelled ue or eu? LOL) Anyhoo, I explained my symptons, and she said it was definately costrochondritis, and that treatment was anitinflammatory meds, i.e. Celebrex, Mobic, Relafan, Aleve, as well as the world famous injections. But we all seem to know that it comes and goes without warning. My rhuemy said that people who have FM most likely get Costro, and that it is, like you all have said here, an inflammation of the cartalidge (sp?). There is no cure, of course, just treatment.

I also found out yesterday (just thought I'd update you all since I haven't been posting for awhile) that I indeed have bursitis in my right hip which was treated with an injection, but I refused the Celebrex, Aleve works just as good for me, my rhuemy also said that surgery on my back is more of "there is basically no other option". I have a couple of herniated discs and one with a annular tear that were dx in Oct. of 2002. She told me that I have waited so long now, that most likely surgery won't fix all the damage, that I probably have permanent damage. I told her I just couldn't afford the surgery, especially now that my husband has recently been unemployed, and his work right now may only be temporary. I was lucky enough to afford to keep my health ins. thru COBRA. My newest symptoms are not being able to raise my legs or my foot, she said that is because of the damage done to my lower back. I also experience pain in the front of my shin, again from my lower back, and I have pain that runs from my right hip and wraps around my right knee, that is caused from the bursitis in my right hip. So, I've got a bunch of stuff going on, ontop of the FM, that has to do with my lower back injury and the bursitis in my right hip. Whew! So that's the update on my physical condtion. My rhuemy said that when I was ready for surgery they would order another MRI just to see what additional damage has been done to my lower back.

But, on a lighter side, I have decided to go to Texas to see my grandson for the first time. My husband is going to drive, and I'm going to lie in the back seat ontop of my feather bed! LOL My grandson, who I lovingly call Poopie Face just turned a year, and I haven't met him yet. So, I'm excited. We'll be there from the 23 through the 26th. Short time, but my husband has to get back to work. Also, one of the women who I used to chat with when I first came online (shes from Canada) is coming to Florida for the holidays, and I will get to meet her this coming weekend. It'll just be for a short visit, as they want to head on to Ft. Meyers, but I'm right on the way, and I live just across the stateline of Florida, so they will pass right by me on their way! I'm so excited, I've been "chatting" with her since 2001, and as many of you probably know, online friends can become very close and special people, so I'm so glad to finally meet one of the very special people that I have meet via the Internet over the years.

Well, that's a pagefull. I wish for all of you from the bottom of my heart, a very happy Holiday Season. I hope that your special holdiay can be experienced with as little pain as possible. This is for the ladies, don't over do, if possible, get someone else to make the dinner, and for the gents, don't over do it getting those lights up on the house! LOL Basically, all of you, have a wonderful holiday.

Love to all,
tk

Old 12-14-2004, 11:47 AM   #20

mere HB User

I suffer from Fibromyalgia and lupus. Sometimes when I am heading into a flare-up it presents as costochondritis. I guess it is chronic in my case as this has been going on for years and I always have some degree of discomfort and other weird sensations on my ribcage. It always hurts in the morning when I first get up and take a deep breath.

But, it can get to the point of excruciating with a flare-up and make breathing extremely difficult. There are loads of nerves in that area of the body. Always, there is extreme pain on touching or laying on the affected area. I think that is hallmark of costochondritis.

Best to get an x-ray to be certain - costochondritis can mimic more serious problems such as heart problems, pleurisyor pneumonia. The best way to treat it is with warm compresses, antiinflammatories and sometimes a narcotic is warranted. In my case, my prednisone or metheltrexate is increased for awhile.

It's just another lousy thing to add to the list.

Mere --

Old 12-14-2004, 12:20 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

Yea i think mine is definetaly coming back. COld weather got here again late last night and this morning i woke up to the same familiar pain. I put a warm pack on this morning, but i cant take anything like aleve or motrin, i tend to swell up. Just have to wait it thru i guess unless i try to get one of those injections, but my internist didnt mention any injections few weeks ago when i went in with a flareup. She just said it was due to the fibro and that it was costo. This type of pain tho wears me out more than the other fibro everyday pain. Cause this one inteferes with my breathing and moving more so than the regular pain.
Oh and i KNOW about online friendships. Ive got friends i met online back in 95 and still talk to some of them on a daily basis. Have had vacations and spent holidays with some of them. Have celebrated births and comforted each other during sad times. I chat back and forth with my good friend who was 25 or 26 at the time we met. Hes now 34 and im 50 and we're the best of buds. Hes planning on taking my hubby and i hunting as soon as we can make a winter trip up there to maryland. Hubby and i took him to visit san antonio when he came down to visit us and spent a week with us. Then we took him to austin to spend some time with my son and his girlfriend who took all of us all over austin and showed us a good time. So yes, you can meet very good friends on here. Hoping everyone is having a pain free day.
Jen

Old 12-15-2004, 07:03 PM   #22

ConfusedWorried HB User

costo SUCKS god it drives me nuts

Old 12-15-2004, 07:09 PM   #23

ConfusedWorried HB User

ohh and the only thing that helps my costo is a heating pad

The Following User Says Thank You to ConfusedWorried For This Useful Post:
Mareluvcats (10-11-2012)
Old 12-16-2004, 10:05 AM   #24

Butterflysnme HB User

I don't know if I have fibromyalgia (I believe I do and my Mom thinks so too but haven't been officially diagnosed) but I have had the left rib area under my left arm hurting horribly off and on for about 4 1/2 years. Is that typical? It's been x-rayed and nothing odd ever shows up. It makes you so frustrated to not be taken seriously.

Last edited by Butterflysnme; 12-16-2004 at 10:05 AM.

Old 12-18-2004, 08:13 AM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

AHHH Jeremy,

Thats my sons name, he's close to your age, hes 28 yrs old. Ultram made you hallucinate? that is so weird. Did you ask about any other pain med to try? Heck motrin can eat your stomach away and you'll end up with two problems instead of one.
When my doc checked my chest she said point to where it hurts the most, uhm OK the whole chest??? then i noticed that yea the whole chest did hurt, but there were certain tender/trigger (cant tell the difference) points that tended to hurt a lot more when pressed than other areas in the chest even tho the whole chest and around to the back hurt. SHe then said it was due to the fibro. The chest has stopped hurting, but ive noticed that if i press on those areas where the tender/trigger points were at, it still hurts. Theyre just not as inflammed as they were back when the whole chest was hurting.
I take my meds daily for the fibro and yes even tho like you said, it just masks, but doesnt solve the problem, i feel tho that they do allow one to at least have some relief even if it is temporary. Please go and try to see if they give you something else. YOu might just be allergic to the ultram. I cant take anything with codiene like tylenol 3 or 4 cause i'll hallucinate. But i can take other pain meds without the side affects. I can take hydrocodone, which im not sure if it contains codiene or not, but that wont make me hallucinate like T-3 or T4.
Jen

Old 12-18-2004, 03:17 PM   #26
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

I have it right where my heart is. It is terrible. Doctor gave me a strong anti inflammitory drug and i also took Prednisone. Both worked well. I was told there is nothing they can do for the problem.

Old 12-19-2004, 12:16 AM   #27

ConfusedWorried HB User

my costo feels like sunburn under my skin somtimes

Old 12-19-2004, 01:16 PM   #28
(female)

lisa30777 HB User

hello all
for the last 3 months ive had chest/rib pain and its driving me crazy doctors can't find out the cause ive have 2 chest x-rays 6 ecgs blood tests and stomach test still no answers my doctors have now gave me anti-depressents tho im only depressed because of all this,im now seeing a chiropractor who says it because of ligament damage in my pelvis and now my ribcage has locked up i also get sharp pains at times under and around my left breast which he says is a trapped nerve dont kno if i believe this but i'll try anything at this point.

i have chest discomfort(not really pain)24/7 and a tightness which feels like im wearing a corset, its better first thing on a morning and gets worse as the day goes on and sharp pains mostly under and around my left breast at times(not all the time)ive been so worried over all this because nobody could give me answers ive thought it maybe could be Costochondritis but pain killers do little to help im at my wits end and dreading xmas because of this

best
lisa

thanks in advance

Old 12-19-2004, 02:51 PM   #29
Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

I have had costo for about 2 weeks - I got it from being sick. No pain medications were working to help relieve it. I tried extrea strength, tylenol, aspirin, ibruprofen, and a perscription pain reliever left over from a surgery 3 months ago. I finally went to the Dr and she gave me a perscription anti-inflammatory and that has really helped.

Good luck!

Old 12-20-2004, 05:47 AM   #30
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User

I'm sorry everyone hurts, but I am glad to know it isn't just all in my head All the cooking and holding of the new grandbaby this past week end has really made my pain go into overdrive. Nothing is helping at this point. Heating pad usually helps somewhat--at least I can get to sleep at night (can't really STAY asleep very long, but...) I just have done too much over the weekend. About the wrap and "corset" type thing--I can't even wear my bra when this is going on!! It feels like I can't breathe.

Closed Thread