It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
(female)

nat_buchanan HB User
Question costochondritis???

I went to the doctor a few weeks ago because I was getting these really sharp pains in my upper ribs around my left breast. They are really painful. It is a really sharp pain like a cramp and subsides after a few minutes. The doctor told me that the muscles in between my ribs were inflamed so he prescribed 800 mgs of Skelaxin (muscle relaxer) and told me to take Advil to help with the inflamation. I was just wondering if I have costochondritis. I have researched this online and I seem to have all or most of the symptoms.
The Dr. said I am suppossed to take 1 800 mg. Skelaxin pill 3 times a day which I think is crazy!!! I'm 24 and I'm about 5'2 an not very heavy by any means so, I feel like that is too much to take so, I've been taking it when ever I start to get a pain or sometimes Tylenol and then I take Advil in between (no more than the recomended dose). Sometimes the pain is so bad that I end up crying because it hurts so bad. I personally think it sounds like costochondritis but, I'd like someone else's opinion.

Natalie

P.S. I don't have fibromyalgia but, I didn't know where else to post at. Sorry.

Old 05-02-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Re: costochondritis???

I have costro for a few years now I do get some sharp shooting pains that are quick, but not sure that is the costro. My pain is below the breast, in the breast and upper chest area on the left, it lasts for hours, days and weeks at a time. there is a long post on this page concerning costro.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2005, 05:14 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

SheSparkles HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_buchanan
Natalie

P.S. I don't have fibromyalgia but, I didn't know where else to post at. Sorry.
Hey Natalie,
I am sure you are welcome here and feel free to also try pain management;
sort of my homeboard. I have myofascial pain (chronic) and costo.
SS

PS my narcotics do not help much with the costo pain cause it is inflammation
so I take Aleve with some caution as I have peptic ulcers.

Last edited by SheSparkles; 05-02-2005 at 05:16 PM.

Old 05-02-2005, 09:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tkgoodspirit HB Usertkgoodspirit HB User

Hey Natalie,

Chostochondritis is a common symptom of Fibromyaglia. It can also be a "stand alone" condition. This is what I went round and round with my old Rheumatologist. She dx'd me with Chosto but it wasn't in my files, and I insisted that she put it in there. She didn't want to cuz she said it was symptymatic of FM, and I said that I have heard that it can be dx'd on it's own, so I wanted it in my file. She did finally add it to my file.

Chosto is an inflammation of the cartilegde between your ribs and surrounding your sternum. A lot of people who experience pain from chosto fear they are having a heart attack because of the area of the pain. Your sternum becomes very tender, you can't even touch it. Your ribs, usually on one side will be so sore it's hard to breathe, or even wear a bra. It can last for a month or more, or just a couple of weeks. Some people only get it once, for other's it's recurring. I have read research that states recurring Chosto may be caused by a previous bacterial or viral infection. Mine comes and goes, but the first time I got Chosto I was recovering from E-Coli and that was the worst it's ever been. Best thing for it is anti-inflammatory meds. Either OTC or prescription anti-inflammatory meds. But Aleve works just as well, so don't waste your money. Personally, Skelaxin never worked for me.

Good luck honey.

tk

Last edited by tkgoodspirit; 05-02-2005 at 09:13 PM.

Closed Thread