It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2005, 10:45 PM   #1
(male)

ricrokrol HB User
Costochondritis , Help plz!

Can anyone in here tell me the best treatments for this disease? I have had it on and off for the last 2 years, and according to the research I have done, it goes away for most people in 3mths-1yr. I haven't been able to lift weights in the last 2 years and need my to regain my strength for my job. I have heard that NSAIDS, ice, heat, and rest with stretching is the normal treatment and chiropratcors, but it only helps me temporairily. I think this flareup has actually developed into Tietze syndrome, because I feel more of a swelling in my sternum and ribcage. The one main alternative treatment I am interested in is prolotherapy. Has anyone in here tried this treatment and if so were the results good? I would appreciate any advice or ideas that any of you may have. Thank you

Old 06-21-2005, 02:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
Re: Costochondritis , Help plz!

Boy, do I sympathize with you! I suffered with Tietzes for almost 3 years before it subsided. Like you none of the antiinflamatories helped much. The one that did they took off the market (Bextra). It's amazing how disabling this condition can be.

About the only real relief I go was thru Chiropractic. Be persistant and keep going. It took about 3 mos to really start feeling any relief. I kept going for 2 yrs after till the Ins decided to cut the number of visits. It's been 6 mos and it hasn't had a major flare up. I had read a massage therapy called Rolfing helps it.

Hang in there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2005, 02:15 AM   #3
(male)

ricrokrol HB User

Thank you for replying. Whe it flared up on you did it feellike a heart attack sometimes. I am 33 year old male who walks 3-5 miles a day at my security job, and am thye ideal weight according to my doctors. I had a chloestrol test and triglycerides were 60 which is supposed to be great, my stress and echo cardigram test came back good also. They said my heart was in great shape, but sometimes the pain feels like its radidating between my shoulder blades and tingling on my left jaw. It also hurts sometimes to lift a gallon of milk or open a heavy door and I need to get my strength back due to the security job I work at a hospital where sometimes we have to wrestle with mental health and drug patients. I read that lifting waits makes it worst and it seems any physical activity besides walking can flare it up. Can you tell me if you experinced some of the same syptoms as me and whether ice or heat helped, or if you noticed certain things flaring it up. I do have an appt with chiropractor tommorrow. I also heard that an alternative treatment called prolotherapy may be good. I would appreciate any more advice you may have for me and one last question when you first got it, do you know what made it flare up any new medicines or surgeries near that time. Thank you

Old 06-22-2005, 05:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

Mine is in the lower right ribcage area. The feeling I was having was like there was a constant pressure, almost like someone was jamming a fist into my side. With stabbing pains when I moved. It radiated through to my back.

Had all the typical Digestive track tests, it took a long time to diagnose.
Setting it off was easy, all that was needed was movement of any kind. It hurt to sit, lay, lift, move my arm and even breathe at times. I was pretty much imobilized by it. Even clothing touching it hurt.

The only good thing was that I had gotten laid off my job at the time, so I had time for it to heal some. Work would have been almost impossible as my job was physical. Standing up was the most comfortable position, can't sleep that easy standing up, so exhaustion also came into play.

The NSAIDS diddn't do much. Only one that had even the slightest effect was Bextra, that dulled it enough so movement and sleep were possible. Now that Bextra is not available, not sure what will work. Neither ice or heat helped to any real degree.

Chiropractic was the only relief I got. 3 visits a week at the beginning for about 6 weeks, then 2 a week for a few more. After that I went once a month for 2 more yrs until my INS decided much of it wasn't necessary and stopped paying for some of it. I have been relatively pain free for about a year (1 minor short lived flare up about 6 mos ago) , some slight pressure is always there, you kind of learn to live with that. After the worst pain subsides that slight pressure is nothing.

It's a frustrating condition that left me feeling hopeless at times. And most people do not understand it, so they think you are nuts. Keeping a good frame of mind is important. Be persistant with the Chiro visits. The most important thing is to not stop going once you get a little relief or it will return.

Like I said, hang in there.

Last edited by WoodsWalker; 06-22-2005 at 05:23 AM.

Closed Thread