It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2005, 08:46 AM   #1

Chrislynn HB User
Costochondritis

I am not sure if this is the right board to be posting about this. But I noticed some conversation of this disorder on here. I was just dx'd yesterday with costochondritis. I have done some research and it sounds like exactly what I am experiencing. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what do you do for it? Thanks.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Re: Costochondritis

I have costochondritis for a few years. What are you symtons. I get under the breast rib pain, breast pain and bra strap area pain so bad and get so sore I cannot stand clothing on. I cannot even touch myself.Everything is mainly left sided.If you do a search on this form there are quite a few posts about the subject.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 04:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

I had this too last year, and my symptoms were like pa235. I also had terrible pain in my sturnum area, (under it). I couldn't even wear a bra, the pain was so severe. I cried sometimes as it hurt so terribly. I took 800 mg. Motrin, but it didn't really help. I should've gone to my Dr. demanding some pain meds, but didn't. Really, I stayed home a lot as I felt so bad, and didn't want to hang around braless. No pun intended. This severe period of pain lasted a long time, at least 6 months. (can't remember for sure, but at least that long) It hasn't come back again, so far...thank God! I have hypothyroid/Hashimoto's, and I just know that had something to do with it. I was so grateful when it finally went away.

pa235, do you still get this? Is the pain as severe as it was in the beginning? I think I have heard that you can have it long term. I pray it never returns!
Good luck...
Deda

Old 06-28-2005, 05:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mine comes and goes, it really makes you miserable, the soreness is so intense. I cannot even put a hot pack on it weight makes me sorer.i did not have this for about three months, but had 5 days last week of it and have it today again, I hate it.When I move my arms it pulls like crazy. wish mine would go away completly.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis

Old 06-28-2005, 05:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hi Linda, When you say "when I move my arms it pulls like crazy", what do you mean? What pulls? I'm just curious, because I get some pulling sensations too when I use my arms, such as doing dishes. Since the costo, I now have a lot of back and chest area pain, muscle spasms, etc. (Just no more of that horrible rib bone pain). My GP gave me Klonopin for the muscle spasms and it has helped greatly. I also had a lot of aches and pains around my diaphragm area. That is better now though. Do you have any simular problems, Linda?
Thanks for replying.
Deda

Old 06-28-2005, 05:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

My muscles in the upper chest feel like they are pullimg real tight but release right away, sometimes it like a real fast shooting pain that goes from one side to another, I call them zappers, they scare the heck out you, they come really fast, but are quick. I also get them in my breasts, my ribs under my breasts get really sore also. I have no idea if it is all costro or a combo of fm and costro.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis

Old 06-28-2005, 05:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Linda--I had the rib pain underneath my breasts too. Oh so painful, all of it! You don't have pain in your upper back? [Sorry for so many questions]. Don't you take any muscle relaxants to help your pain? If not, I think a good one, (like Baclofen) could help you immensely. I hope you feel better soon.
Have you had thyroid tests done?
Deda

Old 06-28-2005, 06:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes I do have the upper back and shoulder blade pain also, my thyroid was just checked again for the umpteenth time and it is normal.With having the costro and fm it is hard to deal with and I am over sensitive to meds so it is me, tyenol and hot packs. My low rib pain sometimes goes all the way around my back and it makes it hard to breathe. Do not worry about the ??? we are here to help one another.

Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis

Old 06-28-2005, 06:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

I started having shortness of breath with the costo too, and then when the muscle spasms started, well, I could hardly breath sometimes. That's all improved now, as long as I take my Klonopin everyday. But then that worries me too, as it is addictive. What am I going to have to do, take this stuff forever, just to breath, and not feel like I'm wrapped up in tight belts around my torso? Oh gee..these problems are horrible! I'm supposed to see a pulmonolgist next month. (If I don't chicken out) I was using a heating pad on my chest too, the entire time I had the costo symptoms, it was called a "bed buddy" that you zap in the micro. I heated that thing up about 50 times a day! What a pain in the butt. But it did feel good on the ribs. You know, most of my pain was left sided too. I also had pain under my left breast, right at the bra line. It was terrible not being able to wear a bra. I thought as all of my bras were underwire type that that was why they hurt, but when I went and bought soft, all cotten bras, they still hurt badly. How the heck do we ever get these things?!! And I never hear of men getting this...maybe there's a few, but I think it's something mostly we women get. I'm sorry you're still having so much pain, and hope things change for the better, soon. You'll be in my prayers, pa.
hugs to you too..
Deda

Old 06-28-2005, 06:55 PM   #10

Chrislynn HB User

My pain is on the left side of my chest and under my breast bone. Also the pain is in my left arm. My left arm hurts so bad, it makes me feel sick. I have just started to do some research on it. I have taken 4 ibuprofen today with no relief. Last night I took a Tylenol 3 and it helped some.

I have also had shortness of breath and upper back pain and I have burning pain on the left side of my chest. It is a horrible feeling unlike anything I have ever felt before.

Last edited by Chrislynn; 06-28-2005 at 06:57 PM.

Old 06-28-2005, 07:30 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

I'm sorry Chrislynn, I hope you didn't think we forgot about you dear, we didn't. I never heard of arm pain going along with it, but nothing would surprise me about it. My pain started in one "spot", and then traveled all around till my whole chest was hurting so bad. You know, I also had GERD, at least that's what my Dr. at the time told me, so that could've been part of it. They never did any testing though to see if I truly did have Gerd, but I did take Prilosec, which seemed to work at first, then later nothing helped. I don't know what came first though. Do you ever feel like you might have some acid reflux, coming up in your throat? You might want to try an OTC acid reflux med, (PPI) such as Prilosec, and see if that helps any. Anything is worth a try. If the Tylenol doesn't help, try another pain reliever, Advil, Extra strength Bayer. Or ask your Dr. for a pain med, since the Tylenol 3 helped you, (if you run out) I don't see any reason they should not give us prescription pain meds, when we're having that type of pain, it would be inhumane. Have you tried a heating pad too? I even placed big ice packs on it a few times. Hot baths with Epsom salts too.
Deda

Old 06-28-2005, 08:06 PM   #12

Chrislynn HB User

Deda,

Yes I have tried heat and it really helps. I have been putting a heating pad on my chest every night. Of course I do not want to become dependent on pain meds so I am trying not to take too many. I just want the pain to go away. It's horrible. I remember people talking about living with chronic pain and I never quite understood it until now. Here's wishing pain free days ahead for both you and Linda.

Old 06-28-2005, 08:12 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislynn
Deda,

. Here's wishing pain free days ahead for both you and Linda.

And wishing the very same thing to you too, Chrislynn!! Let us know how it goes. Thinking good thoughts for you always..
Deda

Old 06-28-2005, 09:28 PM   #14
(female)

balleteach HB User

Greetings, This is the first time I have posted on this board. The word costochondritis jumped out at me. I have had this condition off and on for over a year and a half. When mine first flared up, it was awful and very scary. I ended up in the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. That was ruled out and after more weeks of suffering and eliminating eveything else, I finally had a correct diagnosis. One of the sure signs is if you press on your ribs or breastbone and they are sore to the touch. It took two months to recover from the first attack. My flare-ups are brought on by over exertion, too much heavy lifting, strain, etc. Even a cold and too much coughing can trigger pain. Most of the time I'm fine and go about my normal activites without a problem but then, out of the blue, something will trigger it and I'm feeling the pain again. I use a heating pad for a day or two and the pain subsides enough to get back to normal activites. I think, that for me, this will be a chronic condition with long periods of being ok. It seems to be worse when the weather is cold and damp.
The feeling of not being able to take a deep breath is very scary. I did quite a bit of research on this condition and what happens is that the cartilage between the ribs and breastbone become so inflamed that each breath aggravates the inflammation. It has nothing to do with lung capacity or the ability to breathe. The lungs are perfectly normal and it only feels like you can't breathe. Don't panic, just try to calmly deep breathe in and out and relax as much as possible. Believe me, I have been through it all with this condition. Someone discribed it as having arthritis of the cartilage and that sounds like an apt description. It is also common for the pain to radiate around the back, shoulders and arms. Good luck to all of you who are suffering with this. I really don't find much relief from pain meds. For me, they help a little, but don't cure the problem. Only time does that. Feel free to ask any questions you might have....balleteach

Old 06-29-2005, 04:32 AM   #15
Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User

HI there,
I also have this off and on for over a year now. I know that if the pain is severe and not resolving your doctor can give you a local steroid injection right into the site of inflammation and I've heard that helps a lot. I've wondered about a lidocaine patch right on the site also, do you think something like that might help? Has anyone tried it? Funny that fibromyalgia is supposedly not inflammatory yet all of us have had this particular symptom which is indeed inflammation.
Best to all!
Shawnee

Closed Thread