It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2005, 04:44 PM   #1
(female)

browneyegurl HB User
Ouch Costochondritis!

My recent flare of Fibro includes a whopping case of costochondritis. IMO I have to say that for me, this stuff takes the cake. It started out with pain in the upper chest, then moved down to all of my ribs. Felt like I had something wrapped around my ribs and squeezing. After doing all the recommended things for relief it is better except for the pain under the upper breat bone. It's painful to the touch and at times I feel like I can't get enough breathe and don't have the strength to talk. Really gives me a scare. My doctor says I am having panic attacks, but I am not so sure. Another doctor that I saw says I need to have a stress test to rule out a heart problem, but I've had numerous EKG's, a heart ultrasound and done the holter monitor thing. All were fine. I've had chest exrays too and all was okay.

I would like to hear from those of you that have costo and know how you felt and how you handled it. It's the holidays and feeling good would be sooooo nice.

Old 12-10-2005, 05:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User
Re: Ouch Costochondritis!

I also have this. The doctor gave me Relafin which seem to work pretty well. When I get an attack, it seems like no amount of pain killers work. I can recall taking 2 vicodin and 4 tylonal and that barely touch the pain. I also tried prednesone which also help me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2005, 08:38 PM   #3
(female)

browneyegurl HB User

Kirstee, I checked out that website. Did you follow the full protocol and if so, did you go through phases of feeling worse? Sort of sounds scary to me having to go through more pain to get better. I've had some fairly serious pains that I'm not sure I'd like to relive. I would like to hear more if you wouldn't minding sharing.

Thanks!

Old 12-11-2005, 02:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hello browneyegurl,

I have constant bouts of full rib cage costonchondritis. I also have SLE, along with fibro so the costo does take some shifting for me as I can't take NSAID's.

Anyway why I replied to your post is this. I have discussed this with lots of members on both the lupus and fibro boards. If I give you the search you will find there are 44 listed posts, with replies on this topic. Lots of reading I know, but I am sure this will be an enormous help to you in answering your questions.

If you go to the top of the page here, on the right hand side there is the word "search" just type in "costochondritis", then all of the posts will be available to you.

Hope this is helpful to you. Take care.

goldenwings

Old 12-11-2005, 03:31 PM   #5
(female)

browneyegurl HB User

Thank you Goldenwings. I'll get to reading!

Old 12-11-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Hi Browneyegurl:

In response to your "did you follow the protocol": Yes I did, and still do. The way I looked at the whole thing was time was on my side, and it was worth a try. I wasn't getting any better trying to control pain without a cure, and guafenesin eventually works and you begin to feel normal again. It isn't a total cure, but it sure makes life a lot more normal. I was at a point where I was so sick I felt I would need to leave my job and then become a couch potato. But now I'm doing well, go to the gym, lost 30 pounds, am active, sleep through the night, and can do things I couldn't do before. Guafenesin will make you feel like you are going through a flare, then it stops for a bit until the next cycle. Eventually, you have more and more pain free days until it is mostly pain-free days. Can you visualize that? You are afraid of the pain it might cause you, but you are already there, and fibromyalgia does not get better as you age, it only gets worse. At least, that was my experience before guafenesin.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Old 12-12-2005, 07:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

Hi,

I have been dxed with costo also. I have FM, MPS, cervical artritis with bulging disc's and the same in the thorastic area.

I started with low rib pain on Weds, Thurs I had breast pain and a burning tenderness, than started with those sharp shooting chest pains, than went into the upper chest pain. Yesterday I went shoppping was getting a few mild zappers and right after I got home I started with upper chest pain, upper back, shoulder pain that went part way down the arms, finally eased enough that I could sleep. Today I feel so sore and bruised, I have the burning skin sensations, especally in the bra strap area and in under my arms. I cannot stand clothing on, I had a sweatshirt on and had to take it off and put a light weight top on, no bra. I use to only get this on my left side but my right is getting as bad.

I have been to my Dr. with this upper chest pain and rib pain, had ekg's done while in pain, went to the ER with the sharp shooting pains below the collar bone from side to side, all the tests were fine.I get a echo done yearly due to mitral reguratation.

This is really scarey, but my Dr. said if you press on your chest and it hurts more with pressure or with movement it is not heart it is muscular. My husband had a heart attack and said if it was heart you will know it. He has chest pains for years from a herniated disc and nerve damage in his neck and shoulder.

With the triger and tender points we have in the chest who knows what is what.

I have a friend that has fm, mps and costro and has been on the guai for 5 years and is no better, follows all the protocol. She just told me she was going to give it up. What helps some does nothing for another.

Gee I wrote a book, but I know what you are going though and I guess I wanted to vent myself. Hot packs are my best friends.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 12-13-2005, 08:41 PM   #8
(female)

pdottir HB User

I have found a few things that help 1) Hot lemon water 2) staying warm...wearing a wool sweater, hot bath, sleeping under down cover 3) lots of rest and eliminating all avoidable stress 4) a glass of red wine 5) massage and lavender oil 6) Everything and anything that helps you to relax........No caffeine or stimulants!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyegurl
My recent flare of Fibro includes a whopping case of costochondritis. IMO I have to say that for me, this stuff takes the cake. It started out with pain in the upper chest, then moved down to all of my ribs. Felt like I had something wrapped around my ribs and squeezing. After doing all the recommended things for relief it is better except for the pain under the upper breat bone. It's painful to the touch and at times I feel like I can't get enough breathe and don't have the strength to talk. Really gives me a scare. My doctor says I am having panic attacks, but I am not so sure. Another doctor that I saw says I need to have a stress test to rule out a heart problem, but I've had numerous EKG's, a heart ultrasound and done the holter monitor thing. All were fine. I've had chest exrays too and all was okay.

I would like to hear from those of you that have costo and know how you felt and how you handled it. It's the holidays and feeling good would be sooooo nice.

Closed Thread