It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

opple HB Useropple HB User
Costochondritis

Does anyone else get this? Tonite when I was exercising I got it and it hurt to inhale. I thought about going to the emergency room but I have before and nothing was really wrong beyond the chest wall inflammation.

Here I am trying to do an activity that is good for me and it hit. I took some aspirin and it's better now but it lasted for an hour. I don't know what to do when costochon comes over me--are you supposed to rest quietly or what?

Last edited by opple; 11-11-2006 at 06:13 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to opple For This Useful Post:
GKBGURAON (10-13-2011)
Old 11-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
(female)

KGO HB User
Re: Costochondritis

I know that if you get chest pain with exercise, that goes away when you stop, this is a sign of heart disease and/or attack. I also have heard that inhaling should not make it worse if it is your heart, if so I would think it would have more to do w/ the lungs. I don't have heart disease (that they can find) but I have palpitations, and when I get chest pain and inhale, the pain gets better, not worse.

Don't risk your life though, if you feel chest pain, always get it checked out. If you have not had the nuclear stress test, etc., ask for one.

I am not sure what to do for non-heart related pain, but I would always stop what you are doing if it is causing you chest pain.

Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
(male)

Toneman HB User

Dapple,

I have chronic costochondritis and I can tell you what I know. First off, costochondritis is usually a diagnosis by exclusion, meaning that everything else is most always ruled out before they diagnos someone with costochondritis. Also, there is no real test to verify the diagnosis. If you have chest pain you need to get it checked out. I had a complete cardiac work up before they were comfortable moving on to looking at other causes.

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the tissues that connects your ribs to your sternum. It can make it very painful to breathe. The best way to diagnos costo is that you can reproduce the pain by manipulating the joints themselves. If they are sensitive to the touch then it's a good chance you have costochondritis.

It can be caused by exertion or an infection, can be acute or become chronic. The pains are usually sharp in nature but can become dull after a while.

The most important thing is to get checked out first. Chest pain with exertion is also a classic sign of cardiac problems and should always be checked out, better safe than sorry. You should discuss this with your doctor or go to the ER to get checked out before you write it off as costochondritis.

If you do have costochondritis you may be treated with NSAIDs (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs like Celebrex or ibuprophen), physical therapy or steroid injections directly into the inflammed joints.

Good Luck,

Tony

Last edited by Toneman; 11-11-2006 at 10:19 PM.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:22 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

I know yer right and I maybe should have gone to the ER. It's just that every time I have, it's a simple case of costo and I do get an anti-inflammatory prescrip written out for me, generally.

The pains were kinda acute and then settled down. Then I leaned awkwardly on my left elbow on the phone on the bed for 1/2 hour so I can't blame arm pain on internal prob at this point.

And then I keep thinking about being older and being on the pill and all I read about it and migraines and strokes.

I'm terrible about stuff like this; I either panic or I just wanna forget it's happening and go about my business. Anyone else absolutely loathe to go to ER? But I realize if it saves a life or one from something worse, it's warranted.

I will go to hospital 2morrow if any twinge whatsoever. And then go for a full checkup with my reg doc. Thanks so much for your good advice and support.

Last edited by opple; 11-11-2006 at 11:23 PM.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I have had many bouts with costochondritis over the years. God, they hurt!
I have found that Alleve works best for the week or more it takes to heal. I take 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening when I am suffereing a bout.

I think the way to deal with frequent episodes is PREVENTION with adequate stretching done on a reguar basis. Something like lying on the floor with arms stretched as far over head as possible while inflating the chest as much as you can is good: first both arms then each in turn. THen twisting the shoulders right and left by reaching accross the body with arms in turn, in effect stretching the sides of the chest. Everything should be done very slowly.

Keeping the chest muscles and ligaments well stretched will prevent doing damage and starting a spasm cycle from something silly like bending over to wash a fork or SNEEZING.

Last edited by Lenin; 11-12-2006 at 09:05 AM.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:07 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Unhappy Re: Costochondritis

Well. I got it again last nite and I hardly slept for worrying about it. I had total stress on Mon and that may have contributed.

So off the ER today early in the day. How awful to get something that may be minor but may be indicative of something serious and you just never know. And I'm so busy rite now besides.

If it's the same old costo I will try that stretching routine. I won't go rite into exercise anymore--shouldn't anyway.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:53 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

rc1975 HB User

what does it mean if i only get chest pain when im not exerting myself but when im on the treadmill it doesnt bother me? its driving me crazy i must have been to the er at least 6 times this yr

Closed Thread