It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
(female)

forgetyou HB User
costochondritis? anyone know about this?

i was in the emerg room a couple of months ago with chest pain that was diagnosed as costochondritis.
since then, i have started running....and just in the past few days, the pain is coming back.
does anyone know what causes costochondritis? or if i will be able to run again soon? i had to stop today cause it was hard to breathe.

the doc also said it was viral.

so frustrating!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
(male)

Tonym81 HB User
Re: costochondritis? anyone know about this?

What is the pain like? where?

I have soreness and pinching sensations it seems on the tendons around the rib area, on the floating lower ribs only on the right side.

It radiates to my back and and lower shoulder blade sometimes.

It comes and goes now for over a year, off and on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
(female)

forgetyou HB User

mine is on my right side too, but like right next to my sternum and only a few ribs down.
the pain feels like someone sitting on my chest or something. and i can feel it originating from that one spot.
i can feel the pain on my back sometimes too.

yay.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
(male)

Tonym81 HB User

Well I think that Costocondritis, usually originates from the sternum or breastbone, this usually affects the floating ribs that are not connected in the lower areas of the rib cage.

I wish I could do something about this.

Do you see any swelling or a bump on the area where its radiating from?

I will go to the doctor as soon as I can to see what excatly this is from, last time they said it was a badly injured chest muscle, but I should visit the Doctor again.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
(female)

motown HB User

I was diagnosed a few years ago, comes and goes. It is actually an inflammation of the cartilage. I notice that the tissues between the ribs swell
and "oozes" through. Told nothing to be alarmed about, just take anti-inflammatory meds and it usually goes away after a few months. Mine crops up a couple of times a year for several years now. Not sure why.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
(female)

Glen27 HB User
Question Re: costochondritis? anyone know about this?

I have my first episode in Octobre 06,for two weeks.It came back few weeks ago...and pills are not working,ice is not working and I don't know what else to do after 5 weeks of this.
The doctors said it could be stress.I don't feel stress until I get sick...

Does anybody try a chiropractor or a massage therapy? I don't know what else to do...I can't even clean my house without falling apart.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #7
(female)

xx_cheryl_xx HB User

In 2005 i started to get pains in my chest, after having loads of tests done i was diagnosed with Costochondritis in 2006. I am still in constant pain now as all the medication i have tried don't seem to take away the pain. I still have yet to go back to the doctors to seek more advice.

Below is an explanation of Costochondritis which may help you to understand it a bit more;

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the junctions where the upper ribs join with the cartilage that holds them to the breastbone or sternum.
The pain usually will be sharp and located on your front chest wall. It may radiate to your back or abdomen and is more common on your left side.

Costochondritis causes tenderness over the breastplate and pain if you put pressure on the ribs in this area. The pain is made worse by anything which moves the ribs and pulls on the cartilage which connects them to the sternum.
In order to breathe in and out you subconsciously move your ribs up and down like bucket handles either side of the sternum, so simply breathing can make the pain worse. More exaggerated respiration, for example from coughing or sneezing, can cause severe pain. Vigorous exercise might not be such a good idea. When you exercise heavily you need to increase your breathing depth and rate, so increasing the movement of your ribs. This is more likely to aggravate any inflammation in the costochondral area. But gentle exercise is fine.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:33 PM   #8
(female)

Glen27 HB User

Since I started treatment with a chiropractor my pain is gone after 2 months of pain and medication.I hope you get better.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
(female)

sore and worrie HB User

Hi can anyone help - so worried. Had awful soreness in chest and right breast - sore to touch and burning. GP say it was a sprain then acid, this was in Feb 07. Another GP said costochondritis. After 2 weeks pain subsided. Now back again and really sore. GP sending me for mammogram and I'm worrying lung cancer (always think the worst!) Surely if cancer the pain wouldn't have disappeared for 5 months. Do loads of lifting in my job - charity shop and using a steamer. Does this sound like anyone else's symptoms. Also hurts when I lie on my right side in bed. Thanks for any help!

Old 08-12-2007, 09:35 PM   #10
(female)

Glen27 HB User

Costochondritis can come back anytime.If you make a physical effort or stress,put some ice on the area for 20 minutes and take some motrin.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:39 AM   #11
(female)

sore and worrie HB User

Thanks for your reply. Pain is horrible and I'm a terrible hypochondriac!!! Still results of mammogram were ok which was good news. Still worried about the old lungs though!.......

Old 09-13-2007, 12:21 PM   #12
(female)

Glen27 HB User

I'm sorry that you still feeling this way.You need some x-rays to check those lungs...the only thing that the doctors found in me was costochondritis and scoliosis.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:26 AM   #13
(female)

sore and worrie HB User

Yeah I know but funnily enough no-one sent me yet, which makes me feel it can't be serious!!! Now got slight swelling on breast plate - anyone else had this please??????

Old 09-16-2007, 10:25 AM   #14
(female)

Glen27 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sore and worrie View Post
Yeah I know but funnily enough no-one sent me yet, which makes me feel it can't be serious!!! Now got slight swelling on breast plate - anyone else had this please??????

The area were I feel the pain and pressure is on my left side of the chest,I could draw a square around my breast.Ask the doctor for x-rays they can't tell you if you have this without them.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #15
(female)

sore and worrie HB User
Unhappy Re: costochondritis? anyone know about this?

Hi there,

Had chest x-ray yesterday and clear - legs were wobbling!!!! So sounds like costochondritis. Has anyone here been given any good anti-inflammitories worth asking for? Really sore at the mo ...

Closed Thread